Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• fnptfnpt Frets: 752
    Thanks. I bought mine from Thomann and they have already replaced the first with a new one and have agreed to repair this one. However I’m sure they will have to replace this one as well as I don’t think it is repairable. I will follow your suggestion and contact frank. 
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnpt said:
    So what expression pedals are you using with your helix? I’m on my second helix lt and the internal pedal broke again and instead of returning the lt I’m Considering just buying a pedal and be done with it. 
    Maybe swap miccy D's for a salad?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 752
    fnpt said:
    So what expression pedals are you using with your helix? I’m on my second helix lt and the internal pedal broke again and instead of returning the lt I’m Considering just buying a pedal and be done with it. 
    Maybe swap miccy D's for a salad?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    So still getting used to my HX Effects - all promising so far, except... It doesn't like my Moog EP3 expression pedal which is a bummer because one of the first things I wanted to do was adjust delay feedback on the fly for cliqued self-oscillation madness.

Not so sure I'm keen on forking out for another expression pedal... Any hacks??
  • ewal said:
    So still getting used to my HX Effects - all promising so far, except... It doesn't like my Moog EP3 expression pedal which is a bummer because one of the first things I wanted to do was adjust delay feedback on the fly for cliqued self-oscillation madness.

Not so sure I'm keen on forking out for another expression pedal... Any hacks??
    I got a M-Audio expression pedal working with mine, they're about £15.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Am I right in saying that you cant do a patch with dual function expression pedal? Like on my GT-10 i could have it set to volume pedal then when you pushed the toe switch down it flipped to pitchshift or wah.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Am I right in saying that you cant do a patch with dual function expression pedal? Like on my GT-10 i could have it set to volume pedal then when you pushed the toe switch down it flipped to pitchshift or wah.
    No, you’re wrong :). You can do that.  Personally never use it because if you switch from volume to wah you are then at full volume by default.  The Helix has 2 expression pedals, you select ex1 or 2 with the toe switch and each one can be used to control a multitude of things either one, or multiple like pan, drive level, delay time or just about anything you can think of
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    You can do exactly that too with Helix.
  • John_A said:
    Am I right in saying that you cant do a patch with dual function expression pedal? Like on my GT-10 i could have it set to volume pedal then when you pushed the toe switch down it flipped to pitchshift or wah.
    No, you’re wrong :). You can do that.  Personally never use it because if you switch from volume to wah you are then at full volume by default.  The Helix has 2 expression pedals, you select ex1 or 2 with the toe switch and each one can be used to control a multitude of things either one, or multiple like pan, drive level, delay time or just about anything you can think of
    Sweet, i run my wah off board but I use it for pitchshift in a few patches....need to get it set up on the helix now..along with trying to recreate my ridiculous synth noise
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Is it possible to set the expression pedal to only activate an effect while it is moving? say have it set to a wah, but you don't need to turn it on by the toe switch?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Is it possible to set the expression pedal to only activate an effect while it is moving? say have it set to a wah, but you don't need to turn it on by the toe switch?

yup, I had mine set to be bypassed when under 2% (heel position) then operate as a wah from 2-100% of stroke.

I did have to do some special bodgery with elastic bands when I realised my pedal would gradually open on a loud vibraty stage and Id spend the first song after sound check wondering wtf has happened to my tone

• sgosden said:
    yup, I had mine set to be bypassed when under 2% (heel position) then operate as a wah from 2-100% of stroke.

I did have to do some special bodgery with elastic bands when I realised my pedal would gradually open on a loud vibraty stage and Id spend the first song after sound check wondering wtf has happened to my tone

I'm sure I tried setting it up this way but I must have been doing something wrong as it wasn't working as intended. I'll have the go back an RTFM again.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1165
    edited February 2019
    To give you guys an idea how the Helix sounds in a live recorded mix, here is a recording of my band playing the Toto song Africa at a recent gig. 

The band consists of Drums, Guitar, Bass and lead vocals.

We play to a click track which includes any sounds we can't replicate i.e Keyboards, extra backing vox and other sound effects etc.

The gig was recorded for a video promo we are currently working on. This is the audio mix (which is still a work in progress) which will be used as part of the promo. Not sure if I'm entirely happy with the mix as yet, it may need a couple of tweaks here and there (I may have mixed it a tad bright and may need to re-visit with fresh ears).

We use a Behringer XR18 digital mixer, so the audio was recorded in multi-track format (Pre Fader) straight off the USB output on the mixer into our laptop running Presonus Studio One.

The audio has then been re-mixed in Studio One. Everything has been re-mixed and compressors, gates, eq's etc added where needed, but the guitar is untouched. I EQ everything in my Helix so it sounds right straight off the bat.

So this was the sound straight out of the Helix.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnzfdc70mpm8xqv/Africa Mixdown.mp3?dl=0
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited February 2019
    I posted a while back about the Mic Input and left Headphone Output failing on my Helix for a second time after previously being repaired under warranty.

Helix is now out of warranty and come May I will have owned it for three years 

Guess what Line 6 did?

GAVE ME A NEW ONE

I actually feel that I should keep things like that quiet because they are possibly making a rod for their own backs but I think I would be doing them a disservice not to let everyone know about the level of customer care that is being delivered now. I know there's lots of similar stories and this is not a one off. 

I wasnt expecting a replacement, didn't even think I should be entitled to one. Very grateful

cheers Line 6 and Yamaha x
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I posted a while back about the Mic Input and left Headphone Output failing on my Helix for a second time after previously being repaired under warranty.

Guess what Line 6 did?

GAVE ME A NEW ONE

I actually feel that I should keep things like that quiet because they are possibly making a rod for their own backs but I think I would be doing them a disservice not to let everyone know about the level of customer care that is being delivered now. I know there's lots of similar stories and this is not a one off. 

I wasnt expecting a replacement, didn't even think I should be entitled to one. Very grateful

Awesome to hear of companies who actually truly do look after their customers. Nice one to Frank R and team, read the helix thread on tgp and you will read that such treatment is not a one off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I posted a while back about the Mic Input and left Headphone Output failing on my Helix for a second time after previously being repaired under warranty.

Guess what Line 6 did?

GAVE ME A NEW ONE

Awesome to hear of companies who actually truly do look after their customers. Nice one to Frank R and team, read the helix thread on tgp and you will read that such treatment is not a one off.
    Line 6 have always been good like that to be fair
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    edited February 2019
    I actually took my Helix apart today to see if I could fix the faulty joystick, got a little bit hairy but I still managed to fix it!! It turned out to be a cable had managed to detach itself from the back of the rotary pot, a bit of faff getting it reattached due to the tight cable runs (the reason it broke in the 1st place!!).

Totally chuffed with myself, let’s hope it holds OK as my soldering skills ain’t a professional standard!!!

What I was surprised at though is the amount of white glue type stuff holding all the plugs and ribbon connectors in...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So I figured a few months back I'd put together a singles board for the band. Today settles it. That was a stupid idea. It's better to go with two boards - the Helix and a few additional pedals to make up for some areas where I'm not happy with the Helix effects, mainly reverb.

Dunlop 535Q > Polytune Mini > Helix... 

Loop 1 - MXR Reverb
    Loop 2 - Ventris Reverb
    Loop 3 - Boss RV-5 (open to changing this one)
    Loop 4 - Strymon Timeline (open to changing this one too)

... straight to front of the amp.

I could potentially use Loop 4 for 4-cable-method, but honestly.... most of the tones I love are just straight in front, no matter the level of gain.

Hog heaven m8z.... Hog heaven.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    I'm finally in a position to be able to get myself a Helix, just weighing up between the LT and full fat version. Scribble strips i think would be useful, as would the 2 extra buttons, but not sure i need all the extra ins and outs.
    The main thing putting me off the LT is the potential problems with the expression pedal breaking. Not sure how much of a problem that is anymore? Was the design changed do we know? 
    Long term LT users can you advise? 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27074
    nick79 said:
    I'm finally in a position to be able to get myself a Helix, just weighing up between the LT and full fat version. Scribble strips i think would be useful, as would the 2 extra buttons, but not sure i need all the extra ins and outs.
    The main thing putting me off the LT is the potential problems with the expression pedal breaking. Not sure how much of a problem that is anymore? Was the design changed do we know? 
    Long term LT users can you advise? 
    Had my LT for about 18 months now, and not had a single problem with it.
    <space for hire>