Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @gibsongretschfan ; Love the little demos, could you provide a bit of a background, i.e. default settings or not, guitar(s) used, what amp on the rhythm track, any effects etc?

Sounds really good :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    @gibsongretschfan ; Love the little demos, could you provide a bit of a background, i.e. default settings or not, guitar(s) used, what amp on the rhythm track, any effects etc?

Cheers man. Added a little blurb. I know theres a (modelled) pedal in front of the amp at some points but I figured that I would get the sounds like I would in the real world to make the amp do what I want it to ie. compress a little more etc. rather than be a total pedant about it. If you dont you end up with either people wondering their metal tone isnt tight enough (the havent put a tube screamer in front of their amp) or why their tone sounds a little anaemic (their pickups are lower output than the guitar tone they're trying to copy.... like me!)
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited March 2019

I maxed out the mids on this model and took the bass down to about 2. The master was at about 7 and the drive was at 0.5 for the rhythm track and 1.2 for the lead. I had the mic positioned 12" away with early reflections at 45% and a tiny splash of 63 spring

The rhythm guitar was a Gibson Chet Atkins with TV Jones pickups and the lead was an Eastman arch top with a Gibson 57 pickup and Thomastik flat wounds
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:

Cheers man. Added a little blurb. I know theres a (modelled) pedal in front of the amp at some points but I figured that I would get the sounds like I would in the real world to make the amp do what I want it to ie. compress a little more etc. rather than be a total pedant about it. If you dont you end up with either people wondering their metal tone isnt tight enough (the havent put a tube screamer in front of their amp) or why their tone sounds a little anaemic (their pickups are lower output than the guitar tone they're trying to copy.... like me!)
    Thanks again for that - For me it proves a point that Helix sounds like a guitar amp, doesn't suffer from 'digital artifacts' and in the right hands is on-par with other modellers out there.  keep them coming :)
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    siremoon said:
    nickp said:
    two quick questions if I may - how do I limit the range of the volume pedal please so it goes from say 50-100% volume across the range of the pedal travel.  I'd rather that than go from zero to hero.  I've tried fiddling but I can't get it to work right

second - can I get the tuner to fully mute?

The volume range can be set under the controller assignments for the volume block. 
    Setting the tuner to mute is done by setting the Tuner Out parameter to "Mute".
    thanks found it :)  All in a bit of a hurry to get it into rehearsal state :)  
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Anyone using the Celestion f12 x200? Zilla have done a cab with one in and it sounds great
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Hi Guys

Bit of advice please. I sold off my electric guitar and Helix etc when I decided I wanted to just play acoustic, and have now gone full circle ass-about-face and only want to play electric. Doh. 

I grabbed a used Blues Cube off eBay but am
    now wondering if I should just head back to the helix and monitor speaker setup. 

By the time I’ve bought a looper, a tubescreamer, distortion etc etc I’m in helix territory anyway.

And I only ever play at home. No plans for that to change. Plus point is being able to send the sound from the pc through to the helix and hear guitar and backing tracks etc through the headphones when high volume is out of the question. 

Cons is i quite like the simplicity of the amp and guitar setup, but realistically need to add 4/5 pedals to get the range of sounds I need, so makes me think I’d be better off just buying the LT back and saying balls to amp and pedals.

What would you do, knowing I only play at home at practice volume? 
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1198
    edited March 2019
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Hi Guys

Bit of advice please. I sold off my electric guitar and Helix etc when I decided I wanted to just play acoustic, and have now gone full circle ass-about-face and only want to play electric. Doh. 

now wondering if I should just head back to the helix and monitor speaker setup. 

By the time I’ve bought a looper, a tubescreamer, distortion etc etc I’m in helix territory anyway.

And I only ever play at home. No plans for that to change. Plus point is being able to send the sound from the pc through to the helix and hear guitar and backing tracks etc through the headphones when high volume is out of the question. 

Cons is i quite like the simplicity of the amp and guitar setup, but realistically need to add 4/5 pedals to get the range of sounds I need, so makes me think I’d be better off just buying the LT back and saying balls to amp and pedals.

It’s an absolute no brainer. Helix and headphones/Studio monitors is the best home practice/playing solution Ive ever I owned.

I can practice/play anytime of day/night. If I want to move some air through the day I just play through my Mackie CR3 monitors (very reasonably priced) in stereo, which sounds glorious.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28019
    edited March 2019
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Hi Guys

In that situation, and given that I always have a PC handy and that I'm cheap as f*ck, I'd be tempted to either get the HX Stomp or wait for Line 6 to put on one of their software sales and get a copy of Helix Native (assuming you have a decent audio interface of some sort). Unless, of course, there's a reason you'd need the LT over the Stomp?
    <space for hire>
    Thanks guys pretty much confirms my own thoughts on the matter!

Hadn't considered the stomp, I don’t know much about them to be honest. I do wonder about whether to just go Helix Native and use my Scarlett interface but then I’d still have to use a looper pedal. There’s something quite nice about a chunky bit of hardware IMO despite native doing everything the LT can sound wise. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:

Hadn't considered the stomp, I don’t know much about them to be honest. I do wonder about whether to just go Helix Native and use my Scarlett interface but then I’d still have to use a looper pedal. There’s something quite nice about a chunky bit of hardware IMO despite native doing everything the LT can sound wise. 
    If I were you Id give S-Gear a look (plus a looper pedal)
  • In fact, did you get Ableton with your Scarlett? If so just get a cheap midi controller like a second hand FCB1010 and S-Gear and full be in looping heaven
    Thanks will look into them. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28019
    BRISTOL86 said:

Well, my LT stays in the case all the time now - it's only for rehearsals and gigs. The rest of the time, I'm using my guitars straight into my interface (Komplete Audio 6) and Reaper with Helix Native running. It's actually quicker to fire up Reaper and plug my guitar into the lead that's plumbed in under my desk than it would be to fire up the LT even if it was already set up, and this has the bonus of not taking up any room on my desk other than the interface (which would be there anyway) and a tuner pedal.

That's the only disadvantage of Native...no tuner :(
    <space for hire>
    BRISTOL86 said:

Well, my LT stays in the case all the time now - it's only for rehearsals and gigs. The rest of the time, I'm using my guitars straight into my interface (Komplete Audio 6) and Reaper with Helix Native running. It's actually quicker to fire up Reaper and plug my guitar into the lead that's plumbed in under my desk than it would be to fire up the LT even if it was already set up, and this has the bonus of not taking up any room on my desk other than the interface (which would be there anyway) and a tuner pedal.

That's the only disadvantage of Native...no tuner :(
    Yeah it's a tough one. I like the idea of a piece of actual hardware to use, however most of the time when I had one I ended up controlling it with the PC anyway. Having said that, if I buy used then I can always move it on for what I paid for it, which is where software falls down! I think I'll most likely end up back with an LT!
    edited March 2019
    Ignore!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    If you are using a pc why the need for a looper? Get resper and multi track to your hearts content.
    If you are using a pc why the need for a looper? Get resper and multi track to your hearts content.
    I just prefer to use a proper foot operated looper. I don’t know why! 

I’ve decided I definitely want the LT rather than just going down the software only route. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    @BRISTOL86 - there’s 30% off Helix Native at the moment, I think until the 31st.... not sure if that helps or not.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    Thanks Dave! Tempting to just save a bit of money and go software only but I do like the functionality and feel of the floor unit.