Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2465
    Clecko said:
    So for anyone on the fence about Helix or needs a little push, there will be some events coming up over the next few months featuring yours truly. I'll post dates as they are confirmed but for now, you can come and have a chat at the following...

Hola. Anything coming up in London?
    Working on something for Yamaha Music London and I'm gonna try and get to GG Epsom and or Camden. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo said:
    changing the input impedance and the input pad were concerns of the age of The Squirrels. 

Honestly dont find need to tinker with Helix that much anymore. All the default settings on the amps are pretty much usable now
    I'm talking 4CM here, not using the onboard amp sims...
    Ah so you are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Quick Heix question, only had it 3 years so still learning ;). You know if in snapshot mode if you press a parameter knob you can set a different value for that parameter for each snapshot, how do you reset it so it’s global across all snapshots again?
    If you go to the block, press the button with 3 lines, then controller assign, select the parameter you have snapshotted, then turn the controller knob all the way left to none. You're all set. 
    Cheers Ross, not quite sure you got me, not looking at anything to do with controllers, just parameter settings, I.e. I may have 4 snapshots with increasing amp gain, if I want to set them all to the same value I would have to edit all 4 snapshots.  I want to set the parameter setting back to non snapshot mode
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1198
    edited April 2019
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Quick Heix question, only had it 3 years so still learning . You know if in snapshot mode if you press a parameter knob you can set a different value for that parameter for each snapshot, how do you reset it so it’s global across all snapshots again?
    If you go to the block, press the button with 3 lines, then controller assign, select the parameter you have snapshotted, then turn the controller knob all the way left to none. You're all set. 
    Cheers Ross, not quite sure you got me, not looking at anything to do with controllers, just parameter settings, I.e. I may have 4 snapshots with increasing amp gain, if I want to set them all to the same value I would have to edit all 4 snapshots.  I want to set the parameter setting back to non snapshot mode
    Hold down the rotary encoder knob under the screen below amp gain. I'm sure that brings up another screen option. I think from there you turn the second rotary encoder knob all the way to the left until it says 'None' 
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Quick Heix question, only had it 3 years so still learning . You know if in snapshot mode if you press a parameter knob you can set a different value for that parameter for each snapshot, how do you reset it so it’s global across all snapshots again?
    Hold down the rotary encoder knob under the screen below amp gain. I'm sure that brings up another screen option. I think from there you turn the second rotary encoder knob all the way to the left until it says 'None' 
    Cheers will get ve that a try
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 297

Working on something for Yamaha Music London and I'm gonna try and get to GG Epsom and or Camden. 
    Sounds good. Will you post dates here?
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    This is actually a quicker way of doing what I said. Soz. 

I do understand what you mean. I think. Basically, when the snapshot control is engaged for a parameter, Helix is basically using snapshots to work like an expression pedal so the to get rid of that, it's the same as if you were deleting a controller from a parameter. When you set controller for that parameter to none, it will work as it did before you did the hold down turn white in brackets thing. Make sense? 

Clecko said:

Sounds good. Will you post dates here?
    Sure will. 

John_A said:
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    This is actually a quicker way of doing what I said. Soz. 

I do understand what you mean. I think. Basically, when the snapshot control is engaged for a parameter, Helix is basically using snapshots to work like an expression pedal so the to get rid of that, it's the same as if you were deleting a controller from a parameter. When you set controller for that parameter to none, it will work as it did before you did the hold down turn white in brackets thing. Make sense? 
    Makes sense  ;)
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited April 2019
    welshboyo said:
    I know this has been discussed in the past but how are you guys setting your input impedance and Pad?

Reason I ask is that whilst fiddling around last night I accidentally set my impedance back to Auto and hey presto got a whole load of gain and tone back (it was set to the 10k setting which was actually loading the front end down and cutting a lot of signal and presence) - I'm also convinced that the volumes on my Les Paul are working better...

I also had a fiddle with the Pad and ended up turning it off!!

This is all in 4CM into Bogner.

I know the answer is "whatever suits you" but I would like to understand how much of bearing this input impedance has over the overall sound (Pad I'm OK with)

To my understanding, when impedance is set to auto then it depends on what pedal is the first block in the chain to what the impedance is actually set to. Note it is whatever is in the first block, not the first active block which I know that there are some differing opinions on if this implementation is any good or not on the tgp.

Here is a thread with the impedances listed, most are 1M 
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/so-this-helix-impedance-crap.1967794/#post-26983042

For me what I've found is that it only really matters to me if I have the fuzz face first (10k) and when the fuzz face is deactivated then everything sounds muddy as the impedance is still 10k. A workaround is that you can set the impedance on a footswitch (or snapshot) though, I've found that this can be a bit hit or miss. 

All the other pedals that I might have first are 1M anyway, so auto is fine.

I have a full fat Helix which I use direct but would assume that the impedance thing would be the same for hxfx.

HTH
  • Nige458Nige458 Frets: 66
    Quick question for the gurus, using the Helix Floor.

I have 4 Snapshots on the upper row and stomp switches on the lower row and one of the switches is assigned to toggle Delay and Gain blocks at the same time (merged).

The problem I am having is that I would like to assign one of the other foot switches to toggle the delay on its own. As soon as I do this, the merged foot switch becomes just the Gain block.

The only way I can get round this is by adding a second duplicate Delay block and assigning that to its own switch and leaving the merged Delay and Gain on the other switch (thereby using up another block).

Am I missing a trick here?

Thanks for any advice
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    edited May 2019
    Nige458 said:
    Quick question for the gurus, using the Helix Floor.

I have 4 Snapshots on the upper row and stomp switches on the lower row and one of the switches is assigned to toggle Delay and Gain blocks at the same time (merged).

The problem I am having is that I would like to assign one of the other foot switches to toggle the delay on its own. As soon as I do this, the merged foot switch becomes just the Gain block.

The only way I can get round this is by adding a second duplicate Delay block and assigning that to its own switch and leaving the merged Delay and Gain on the other switch (thereby using up another block).

Am I missing a trick here?

Thanks for any advice
    you assign the other footswitch to alter the mix on the delay (which in a way "turns it off") ?  min value (light off) 0, max value (light on) to whatever the mix is currently set to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nige458Nige458 Frets: 66
    @welshboyo So effectively assigning the switch as a parameter control then?

Didn't think of that, although I am doing similar to increase the amp's volume, gain and mids via a single switch.

Thanks for the tip, just a case of thinking outside the box.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Nige458 said:
    @welshboyo So effectively assigning the switch as a parameter control then?

Didn't think of that, although I am doing similar to increase the amp's volume, gain and mids via a single switch.

Thanks for the tip, just a case of thinking outside the box.
    Yep, exactly that!!
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited May 2019
    I think the other way you could do it is that you could 
    - Split the path
    - Put the delay on path a
    - 2nd footswitch changes the path from 100% a to 100% b

Note - I haven't tested this!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 765
    I have been using these for may years now, first with Native's Guitar Rig, then the Eleven Rack and now with Helix:

It has the advantage of having two input sources with two different volume controls, one connected to my mac, the other to the helix, as well as headphones out. So they are very convenient. However, I wonder if I am sacrificing quality of sound in exchange for flexibility.

Would I get a better sound with a different set of monitors? And if so, which ones?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    edited May 2019
    Guys, toying with the idea of swapping my pedalboard for a helix.

One of the attractions is being able to use it as an audio interface for a DAW. I have a couple of questions about that:

1. I've got a few synths and obviously I play guitar as well. How many instruments could I record into a DAW simultaneously using Helix floor? And how many using LT? The website seems a bit unclear on this. 

2. Could I run a synth and a guitar through helix and process them both at the same time? If I want to do this I'm better getting floor for more I/O options, right?

3. Does Helix also act as a MIDI hub when acting as an interface to a DAW? What i mean is if I'm using helix to connect my synths and guitar to ableton can I also send MIDI from ableton to the synths via Helix? Or will I still need a separate midi interface? 

4. Are the instrument "ins" on the helix stereo or does recording a stereo signal require you ti use two input ports? 

Cheers
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    A rather specific question for people experienced with both the Helix & the Katana series: How do the headphone outs compare? In my experience, the Katana sounds good but not great, so I'm wondering how the Helix is in comparison.

Cheers.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    So took my new HX Stomp away with me on buisness.... And it sounds bloody awful through my headphones!

Any tips? 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    edited June 2019
    Guys, toying with the idea of swapping my pedalboard for a helix.

One of the attractions is being able to use it as an audio interface for a DAW. I have a couple of questions about that:

1. I've got a few synths and obviously I play guitar as well. How many instruments could I record into a DAW simultaneously using Helix floor? And how many using LT? The website seems a bit unclear on this. 

2. Could I run a synth and a guitar through helix and process them both at the same time? If I want to do this I'm better getting floor for more I/O options, right?

3. Does Helix also act as a MIDI hub when acting as an interface to a DAW? What i mean is if I'm using helix to connect my synths and guitar to ableton can I also send MIDI from ableton to the synths via Helix? Or will I still need a separate midi interface? 

4. Are the instrument "ins" on the helix stereo or does recording a stereo signal require you ti use two input ports? 

Cheers
    1. Dunno not in front of it but t wanted to.answer the others
    2. Yes. And "yes if you need more inputs than possible on LT otherwise no" to second part 
    Yes I think so. Check the manual.
    4. Instrument Inputs (and returns, which can be used as.inout.piints) are mono. Although iirc you can bring in USB stereo audio into a path. 
    Red ones are better.