Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    TimmyO said:
    Guys, toying with the idea of swapping my pedalboard for a helix.

One of the attractions is being able to use it as an audio interface for a DAW. I have a couple of questions about that:

1. I've got a few synths and obviously I play guitar as well. How many instruments could I record into a DAW simultaneously using Helix floor? And how many using LT? The website seems a bit unclear on this. 

2. Could I run a synth and a guitar through helix and process them both at the same time? If I want to do this I'm better getting floor for more I/O options, right?

3. Does Helix also act as a MIDI hub when acting as an interface to a DAW? What i mean is if I'm using helix to connect my synths and guitar to ableton can I also send MIDI from ableton to the synths via Helix? Or will I still need a separate midi interface? 

4. Are the instrument "ins" on the helix stereo or does recording a stereo signal require you ti use two input ports? 

Cheers
    1. Dunno not in front of it but t wanted to.answer the others
    2. Yes. And "yes if you need more inputs than possible on LT otherwise no" to second part 
    Yes I think so. Check the manual.
    4. Instrument Inputs (and returns, which can be used as.inout.piints) are mono. Although iirc you can bring in USB stereo audio into a path. 
    Cheers. In the end I decided that it was just too much coin so I've gone for a "Stomp plus a few pedals I couldn't bear to part with" solution. Really enjoying it so far. Suspect if I ever end up gigging again I'll get an LT but that won't happen any time soon. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904
    FarleyUK said:
    So took my new HX Stomp away with me on buisness.... And it sounds bloody awful through my headphones!

Any tips? 

It's supposed to sound better with high impedance studio cans, I can't remember exactly what but 250 ohm(ish) rather than 16-32ohm consumer impedance cans. I've not tried it through any higher impedance headphones myself.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    edited June 2019
    FarleyUK said:
    So took my new HX Stomp away with me on buisness.... And it sounds bloody awful through my headphones!

Any tips? 

It's supposed to sound better with high impedance studio cans, I can't remember exactly what but 250 ohm(ish) rather than 16-32ohm consumer impedance cans. I've not tried it through any higher impedance headphones myself.
    I'm using Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO headphones, which have sounded excellent with the AX8 and kemper - would have assumed they'd be ok? They're 250 ohms as well.
    Anyone familiar enough with a real Timmy to say how well the Teemah! model matches up? I absolutely love how it sounds, using it all the time. Actually tempted to buy a real one and save a block on my Stomp for modulation if the real deal sounds the same. 
  • NPPNPP Frets: 237
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Any tips? 

I'm using Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO headphones, which have sounded excellent with the AX8 and kemper - would have assumed they'd be ok? They're 250 ohms as well.
    have you dialled in presets for a very different situation that you are trying to use with headphones? In that case, perhaps start with a clean one, then just add amp, cab, a bit of reverb. Did you run anything in front of it that you haven't taken on the road with you? 

I am using my Stomp with just a cheap pair of headphones and I am getting very satisfactory sounds out of it. I remember being slightly underwhelmed in the beginning with clean sounds though until I got a reflection-free farfield IR on TGP. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1009
    @NPP that sounds like something I’d be keen to try. Is it something you could share or do you have a link to where it is available?
  • NPPNPP Frets: 237
    @NPP that sounds like something I’d be keen to try. Is it something you could share or do you have a link to where it is available?
    it's been discussed in this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ir-properties.2047238/page-47#post-28757564 The chap who captured the IR (Jay Mitchell, who also started the thread) will share them with you if you send him a message, as mentioned in very small script at the bottom of post 40.  

NPP said:
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Any tips? 

have you dialled in presets for a very different situation that you are trying to use with headphones? In that case, perhaps start with a clean one, then just add amp, cab, a bit of reverb. Did you run anything in front of it that you haven't taken on the road with you? 

I am using my Stomp with just a cheap pair of headphones and I am getting very satisfactory sounds out of it. I remember being slightly underwhelmed in the beginning with clean sounds though until I got a reflection-free farfield IR on TGP. 
    Yep, started with a clean preset. Tried both standard cabs and OwnHammer IRs that I'd used on the Helix and ax8 previously (and still use on the Kemper).

Also tried the presets as well - same issue.

Ordered a behringer headphone amp to see if that makes a difference.....
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1009
    NPP said:
    it's been discussed in this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ir-properties.2047238/page-47#post-28757564 The chap who captured the IR (Jay Mitchell, who also started the thread) will share them with you if you send him a message, as mentioned in very small script at the bottom of post 40.  
    Brilliant. Thanks. 
    FarleyUK said:
    NPP said:
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Any tips? 

Yep, started with a clean preset. Tried both standard cabs and OwnHammer IRs that I'd used on the Helix and ax8 previously (and still use on the Kemper).

Also tried the presets as well - same issue.

Ordered a behringer headphone amp to see if that makes a difference.....
    Update - the Behringer headphone amp seems to have improved the sound, thankfully!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7492
    Everytime I see this thread bump up I keep hoping its because the 2.8 firmware is out :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
    Everytime I see this thread bump up I keep hoping its because the 2.8 firmware is out :)

Just released now. Details here.

R.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467

R.
    Well you got me at the very least :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    simonk said:

R.
    Well you got me at the very least :)
    You're not the only one ;)
  • Native Instruments have just managed to get Massive X released before 2.8!

To be fair the unity feature is hugely significant 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • well that got me hook line and sinker.
    The what?
    Helix Native is 30% off for the next week or so.

Probably won't be able to resist... 
    FarleyUK said:
    The what?
    interop between native and all the hardware units in the editor. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ