Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Not having delay kinda defeats the point of using a multi-fx for me :)
    Hence why I ended up going back to singles for a bit :)

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7492

Got to admit I don’t always feel the delays on the Helix sit right, but rather than worrying about it too much I've just used less delay.  The Memory lane Junior I had was hard to turn off.  I've not tweaked the Helix too much so I've been happy to assume it was just my settings.  I also find the delays work a bit better into the amp models rather into the front end of a guitar amp.
    I did consider whether I need to 4CM, last time i tried I couldnt get it totally transparent though so need to tweak some more before Id be satisfied running that way. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Not having delay kinda defeats the point of using a multi-fx for me :)
    Hence why I ended up going back to singles for a bit :)
    Id buy another GT-10 before I do that :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    simonk said:
    Jetfire said:
    Anyone using a Yahama DXR10  with their Helix? What settings are you using? I normally have all the EQ off (so no DSP EQ or D contour) but Im trying different things out. 

Any advice on these (bar use your ears...) 
    I set mine flat if using it on the floor. I put an EQ block in front of the 1/4” out feeding it though to dump some bass... it’s way too boomy else and the temptation is to EQ your whole patch around that sound. In which case it’ll end up very thin through FOH.
    do you think that's the case even if I've got a cut at 100 ish) as well as the usual high cut?  I don't have to go direct to a PA at the moment so it's not an issue but one day might have to get my head around using the dxr10 as a monitor and main sound via the PA :)
  • Did we ever get fully to the bottom of signal loss/tone change when using a parallel path? I've been increasing path A by 3dB at the merge block in order to account for what seemed like a slight level loss.

Oh, and when I want to disable the path completely, I've been bringing in a -120dB gain block at the start of the split chain, therefore no signal gets sent to it.

Bye!

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    I think that's it, isn't it? When you split the path, it drops the signal 3dB, on paper to cut down on things just cumulatively getting louder, but of course it has knock on effects on how hard things after the split are being hit. Personally, while I understand their rationale in not including any metering, it'd be nice to have a level module just to sanity check what's happening at points within the signal chain.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1198
    edited August 2019
    I never noticed this on the Helix when I owned it. What's strange is on my AX8 if you place a delay block on a parallel path you get a 3db boost in the signal. You have to change the signal path into the delay block from 'thru' to 'Mute fx in' to rectify it.
    Cirrus said:
    I think that's it, isn't it? When you split the path, it drops the signal 3dB, on paper to cut down on things just cumulatively getting louder, but of course it has knock on effects on how hard things after the split are being hit. Personally, while I understand their rationale in not including any metering, it'd be nice to have a level module just to sanity check what's happening at points within the signal chain.
    I dont have it in front of me but dont they express the merge as a mix? That would solve the cumulatively louder issue.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Cirrus said:
    I dont have it in front of me but dont they express the merge as a mix? That would solve the cumulatively louder issue.
    No, it's separate levels on the merge block, with control over pan and polarity for each chain as well.

Bye!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8628
    Well this old purist just bought a Helix Stomp. Why? Well thought it would be a good utility tool, my core rig is so well honed for what I want, The Helix could be the fun thing for when I want to go off piste, sofa playing, and use as a audio interface.

Only had about 40 mins with it, first impressions.

Nice little tactile unit.
    Easy to use and get up and running.
    Presets are fucking awful, I know this is given, but how did they get them soooo wrong that I couldn’t find a single one to base anything on.
    So spent my time building a simple Deluxe Reverb patch from scratch - just about got it sounding OK and the thing froze so had to reboot.
    Weird how adding mod or delay seems to change the character or the level so much.

After 40 mins just wanted to go and play my amp, pedalboard and OX, costs 10 times as much, but it’s there with no fuss.

Gonna persevere a little more, but as a first outing just looks to be a time suck for mediocre rewards. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
    dindude said:
    Well this old purist just bought a Helix Stomp. Why? Well thought it would be a good utility tool, my core rig is so well honed for what I want, The Helix could be the fun thing for when I want to go off piste, sofa playing, and use as a audio interface.

Presets are fucking awful, I know this is given, but how did they get them soooo wrong that I couldn’t find a single one to base anything on.
    So spent my time building a simple Deluxe Reverb patch from scratch - just about got it sounding OK and the thing froze so had to reboot.
    Weird how adding mod or delay seems to change the character or the level so much.

After 40 mins just wanted to go and play my amp, pedalboard and OX, costs 10 times as much, but it’s there with no fuss.

Gonna persevere a little more, but as a first outing just looks to be a time suck for mediocre rewards. 

My experience has been very good. Yes, you can spend a lot of time tweaking, but the basic sounds are very good.

You have to set expectations though - if you're using full amp/cab emulation, the sound you get will be a "recorded" sound and nothing like an amp-in-the-room sound.

This is a good video about getting started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbyd9mXo6rM

I'm really happy with my Helix (Rack).

R.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3167
    Having sold my Helix LT earlier in the year, I went and bought my dream amp (Mesa Mark IV). While it sounds incredible, I do wonder if I made the right decision. 

The lightweight, all the effects, amp models and ease of use is making me miss it. Starting to think if I should sell my amp and go back it  :s
  • Stevepage said:
    Having sold my Helix LT earlier in the year, I went and bought my dream amp (Mesa Mark IV). While it sounds incredible, I do wonder if I made the right decision. 

The lightweight, all the effects, amp models and ease of use is making me miss it. Starting to think if I should sell my amp and go back it  :s
    You shouldn't. That is a great amp. Add a few pedals to the mix and a loadbox if you need to record quietly with it. Enjoy your purchase!

Bye!

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    dindude said:

Not my experience with the stomp. I guess it depends what tone you’re after. I found many of the stock presets to be close, just a bit of tweaking. For bluesy “American” cleans I probably prefer the Mesa models to the fender ones. If you want I could pm you a couple of patches. 
  • So apparently there's now a 2.81 update? Seemed to come about pretty quick, without a lot of fanfare? I've only just updated to 2.8, will I need to start again and re-install the new update-of-the-update?! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    2.81 will just be bug fixes from 2.8.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
    sgosden said:

Including

• In rare cases, posting a photo of the “Update Failed!” screenshot to Facebookwithout firstreading the instructions that clearly explain how that’sexpected behaviorwill result in an atomic wedgie
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    stonevibe said:
    sgosden said:

Including

• In rare cases, posting a photo of the “Update Failed!” screenshot to Facebookwithout firstreading the instructions that clearly explain how that’sexpected behaviorwill result in an atomic wedgie
    they can have an atomic wedgie back for designing an update process that displays a screen saying "update failed" 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The most erudite comment I've ever had on a video.

Bye!

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    The most erudite comment I've ever had on a video.

finally some buzz words that describe the sound I'm going for!!!