Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7493
    edited August 2019
    Did some jams with the svt pro model on native this evening... chunky:)

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just ordered a Helix Floor + Powercab 112 Plus and yet another crossing from valve amp + pedals to digital.

Quick question: how good is the looper? I bought a Ditto X4 a couple of months ago because it had the main features I want (notably more active loop options than my old RC20XL)

How will the Helix fare in comparison? Should I keep the X4 to use in addition or is this a bit overkill?

Context: solo gig, no vox, mix of acoustic and electric stuff - mainly fingerstyle/classical/flamenco/jazz winebar-type stuff.
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited August 2019

Hmmm, it's lacking a bit of low-end for my taste. Some nice clank in there.

Also are those the Oblivion drums? 

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited August 2019
    Bit more playing today, pretty sure I'm getting one! With the stock cab sims was good but loading some IRs it's night and day better. The low end has much less mush, highs are less fizzy and the feel is much more solid and realistic. I'm using the Redwirez free Greenback cab, anyone into Marshally tones should check out the "Beyerdynamic M160 Cone 3in" file. Something about it just sounds way better for these tones than all the others I've tried. So I'm just sticking to that and trying to avoid the IR wormhole.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Today's adventure was stock cabs for clean and IRs for dirt tones
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What FW is it on @TTBZ ?
    edited August 2019
    Ancient. 1.6 something. Not many amp models but enough for me to play with. Did they improve the stock cabs at all?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    TTBZ said:
    Ancient. 1.6 something. Not many amp models but enough for me to play with. Did they improve the stock cabs at all?
    Wow, that is old! Things have improved and evolved across the board I’d say.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    TTBZ said:
    Bit more playing today, pretty sure I'm getting one! With the stock cab sims was good but loading some IRs it's night and day better. The low end has much less mush, highs are less fizzy and the feel is much more solid and realistic. I'm using the Redwirez free Greenback cab, anyone into Marshally tones should check out the "Beyerdynamic M160 Cone 3in" file. Something about it just sounds way better for these tones than all the others I've tried. So I'm just sticking to that and trying to avoid the IR wormhole.
    The stock cabs can be tweaked to sound great. Try one of the ribbon mics and add a bit of high cut
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7493

Hmmm, it's lacking a bit of low-end for my taste. Some nice clank in there.

Also are those the Oblivion drums? 
    I'm monitoring on phones so don't trust my low end that much.

Yep oblivion  drums, my basic writing template is oblivious fusion occasionally swapping in the JJ snare
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    John_A said:
    TTBZ said:
    The stock cabs can be tweaked to sound great. Try one of the ribbon mics and add a bit of high cut
    Yeah I was pretty much using the 160 ribbon with the stock cabs as well - guess I like that mic! IRs just have more punch and realistic sound and feel for me, the cabs just feel flat and vague in comparison. Just had it plugged in doing some recording, works flawlessly as an interface too. I'm sold now anyway. I don't know how my old interface made Native sound so terrible!

Looking forward to getting a Stomp with the current firmware to try out all the new stuff! 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    edited August 2019
    Anyone got a guide/reference for how (when) to use the different mic models (on the cabs) ?

I've got absolutely no idea when I'd want to use a condenser vs a ribbon vs anything else, and not really sure how to go about setting the distance. 

Obviously I can use my ears but the differences are so subtle I'd like a good idea what I'm doing before I start. 
    It's just preference I think. Generally ribbons have a warmer sound, dynamics like the 57 are a bit more in your face and cutting in a mix, I never really use condensers when I record guitar but I know a lot of people like 414s. When I record a rock guitar tone I tend to go for a 57/421 blend now, it just works. Used to use a ribbon/57 blend but found the ribbon too warm and mellow.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    TTBZ said:
    1.6 came out 3 years ago and is pre-snapshots.  That is pre-historic.  Line6 tend only to list new features and bug fixes in the release notes and a catch all line about general improvements and optimisations so you never know what tweaks have been made to existing features.  Many people are of the opinion that it sounds better now than it did although as ever such things are very subjective.  Perhaps the unit you are using should be updated to 2.81?  Then you can assess what it sounds like now and have a look at snapshots which imo is the biggest usability improvement since the unit was released.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    I've bought @dindude 's Stomp off the back of this so will be able to give it a proper try with the updated firmware. Considering I was pretty happy with the P75 boosted with a tubescreamer I think I'm going to love the Placater in the same setting.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1432
    https://youtu.be/vI5bLHmgFDM 

Got this back from mixing/mastering recently. All guitars and bass are through the Helix. No tube amps harmed during this production.

FX were a mixture of Helix, analog pedals and a H9. Drives were just a touch of the germanium side on an original Pettyjohn Predrive, otherwise a Fuzz Factory and a Durham Crazy Horse clone feature in a couple of places.  

The bass was a composite - clean DI, a Sansamp PSA 1 for grit and the Helix for amp in room.

Didnt use the stock cabs, mostly Celestion IRs and the slide guitar was an Ownhammer Alnico Silver with an SM57.

Very happy with the results
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563

Didnt use the stock cabs, mostly Celestion IRs and the slide guitar was an Ownhammer Alnico Silver with an SM57.

I can't  listen just now, will tomorrow, but just wanted to say I love the IRs of that silver alnico cab in the OH pack. You ever tried the blue/silver mix?
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1432
    Cirrus said:

I can't  listen just now, will tomorrow, but just wanted to say I love the IRs of that silver alnico cab in the OH pack. You ever tried the blue/silver mix?
    I’m not sure if I have. It’s been so long since I loaded the IRs on my Helix. I have the OH pack that has the closed back Marshall 2x12 with lots of different speakers. I think IRs are great but they can be a rabbit hole in themselves. I eventually just loaded up a bunch of them with different mic options and said that if I can’t find one that works out of the 90 odd I have available to me, then the IR probably isn’t the problem. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
     I eventually just loaded up a bunch of them with different mic options and said that if I can’t find one that works out of the 90 odd I have available to me, then the IR probably isn’t the problem. 
    To be fair, I'm of the same persuasion.

Well, the song's fantastic, you should be very proud! Nice build up of guitar parts - there's a lot going on but they all work together.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    That cheetah looks like a crow to me 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom