Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Stupid question, but why do I prefer my Helix Lt into my Yamaha DXR10 via guitar cable rather XLR to XLR?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetfire said:
    Stupid question, but why do I prefer my Helix Lt into my Yamaha DXR10 via guitar cable rather XLR to XLR?
    I prefer using a guitar cable as well between my Helix Floor and DXR10. I only really tried it with XLR once and I thought it sounded harsher with a quite a bit more top end so I just went back to the guitar cable and haven't tried XLR again since.

I'm guessing the main issue here is how the respective levels are set on both the Helix and the DXR10. The XLR outputs on the Helix can be switched between line and mic level as can the the inputs on the DXR10, so at some stage I think I need to investigate whether I had the levels all set in the best way. 

When I tried it with XLR I probably had the output level on the Helix set at no more than half, which is how I normally set it for the 1/4" output. I think I have read that some people disable the main volume control for the XLR out, so it could be that I wasn't sending a strong enough signal to the DXR10.

Next time I have a rehearsal I'll try to experiment a bit more. 

@Jetfire ; Was your experience similar to mine or is there a different reason for you preferring a guitar cable?
    @rich75 ;My experience was based around being too lazy to get a cable from my box as I'd always use XLRs to go to my DXR10. But I just found this was a better way, maybe it's a better out put? I haven't fiddled with any of the XLR levels out so I may need to do that but not 100% sure ATM.

Interestingly, I did play the hpf switch on the back of the dxr in practice the other night and that gave some interesting results in terms of reducing the lower end (which it's supposed to) but I keep both switches on the back are set to "off" now. 
    @rich75 as it goes, on Line 6s own YouTube channel, it shows them connecting a powered speaker via guitar cable rather than XLR. 

• Thanks @Jetfire. Given that I’m really happy with the sound from the 1/4” output I’m starting to think if it ain’t broken don’t fix it  :)
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    edited September 2019
    I've tried to dial in a sound for arpegios on 3 strings using the Helix pitch shifting FXs but the Helix cannot cope with it.

It creates artifacts all over the place, it's just impossible.  I tried all the pich FXs before and after the amp but nothing works.  What a disappointment!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    srato said:
    I've tried to dial in a sound for arpegios on 3 strings using the Helix pitch shifting FXs but the Helix cannot cope with it.

It creates artifacts all over the place, it's just impossible.  I tried all the pich FXs before and after the amp but nothing works.  What a disappointment!
    What do you mean 'arpegios' if you are letting strings ring then, no the helix won't cope, currently there isnt a polyphonic pitch shift effect in there

I understand this is on the cards for a future release, but in the meanwhile IMO it does so much, so well that I can overlook the odd thing it doesnt
    Yes I let the strings ring. 

With all the "processing power" publicized by Line6 I would have thought that the Helix could do polyphony at least like the small cheap EHX pedals.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    The helix has got massive "processing power". But they have also publicly acknowledged the pitch shifting isn't up to par, and are working on improving it. 

Realistically There's no way it can be perfect for everything and still cost ~1k. 

L6 have said from the start that they under stand that people's taste is different, hence the loops. 
    Some people are happy with the drives, some will want to incorporate analogue drives. 
    Some people will be happy with the delays and verbs. Some will want to wack a timeline and big sky in a loop and control it by midi. 

I'm by no means in the "helix tribe", but the bashing the pitch shifting really has been done to death already:) 
    I'm not bashing anything, I bought and use the Helix and ~1k is a lot of money. 

I've checked various forums and you're right, polyphonic pitch shifting is missing to a lot of people and I'm not the only one.  Of course people's tastes and needs are different but I'm not sure that adding yet another reverb or distortion FX to an already large number was such a priority in recent versions...
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    I'd imagine it's the complexity of pitch shifting algorithms. 
    Rewriting them from ground up Can't be easy, and they are doing it with the constraints of the helix platform (as opposed to a standalone pedal where the entire breif is the create pitch shifting for example). 

L6 probably could have smashed another attempt out in 2.8, but at this point I think putting out anything other than their best attempt would be counter productive. 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I think L6 have been pretty open about their roadmap. The past couple releases haven't seen a huge amount of new fx etc as they've been working on unifying all the different hx products to run essentially the same software, if you see 'hx core' mentioned this is what it is.  After this they'll be able to do future updates more quickly. They have employed people recently who are supposed to know what they're doing with polyphonic pitch switching algorithms, so that should also be in the pipeline.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    srato said:
    I'm not bashing anything, I bought and use the Helix and ~1k is a lot of money. 

I've checked various forums and you're right, polyphonic pitch shifting is missing to a lot of people and I'm not the only one.  Of course people's tastes and needs are different but I'm not sure that adding yet another reverb or distortion FX to an already large number was such a priority in recent versions...
    Word has it they are working on it, it'll be ready as soon as its ready
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Line 6 hired a bunch of ex-Digitech people so expect Whammy quality poly-pitch at *some* point. No-one knows when.

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Yeah I’m holding out on buying a Drop in the hopes they add that sort of functionality to the Helix. Hopefully won’t be waiting for too long, maybe a NAMM announcement if we’re lucky?
  • It's 2019, polyphonic tracking should be there.
    It's 2019, polyphonic tracking should be there.
    How many times in a live set do you use polyphonic pitch shift? Would be nice to have a play, but I’ve managed for years without it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    It's 2019, polyphonic tracking should be there.
    How many times in a live set do you use polyphonic pitch shift? Would be nice to have a play, but I’ve managed for years without it.  
    I’ve never used it until I got my AX8 and I have to say it comes in very handy. It saves me having to reach for my capo every other song, instead it’s a couple of button presses with my feet. Our sets have very quick changes between songs so it’s better than fumbling round with a capo. It takes the pressure off a bit.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Did a bit of searching on the subject of polyphonic pitch shift earlier today - from what I could glean, people were not overly impressed by the quality of it on the Headrush or Boss GT1000. Sounds like the AX8 could be better. Definitely something I look forward to for Helix.
  • Megii said:
    Did a bit of searching on the subject of polyphonic pitch shift earlier today - from what I could glean, people were not overly impressed by the quality of it on the Headrush or Boss GT1000. Sounds like the AX8 could be better. Definitely something I look forward to for Helix.
    I wouldn’t call it exceptional on the AX8. I certainly wouldn’t record with it, but playing live in a band mix it’s fine.