Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Megii said:
    Did a bit of searching on the subject of polyphonic pitch shift earlier today - from what I could glean, people were not overly impressed by the quality of it on the Headrush or Boss GT1000. Sounds like the AX8 could be better. Definitely something I look forward to for Helix.
    I wouldn’t call it exceptional on the AX8. I certainly wouldn’t record with it, but playing live in a band mix it’s fine.
    Cheers @kennedydream1980 ; - sounds to me like it's good enough to be well worth having on the AX8. But also maybe an opportunity there for Line 6 to really nail it and do something great - that would certainly be a big plus for the Helix if they could.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Having some funny issues with the usb recording with my Stomp in Reaper. I’ve got ASIO Helix set as my audio device, inputs 1-8 available. I can record the wet signal fine, but it sounds quite different (not as good) to what I’m hearing when I play. Also I can’t get the dry DI signal on input 7. Never had this issue before, it all worked straight away first time I plugged it in! Any ideas?
  • John_A said:
    It's 2019, polyphonic tracking should be there.
    How many times in a live set do you use polyphonic pitch shift? Would be nice to have a play, but I’ve managed for years without it.  
    a multi-FX unit in 2019 should have polyphonic tracking, its a fairly standard effect these days and whether I reach for it in every song in my set or in none of them I would still expect it to be a feature available to me. They've had over three years since Helix came out to add this feature which is a glaring omission from the arsenal and I think its about time it was included. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3454
    edited September 2019
    Megii said:
    Did a bit of searching on the subject of polyphonic pitch shift earlier today - from what I could glean, people were not overly impressed by the quality of it on the Headrush or Boss GT1000. Sounds like the AX8 could be better. Definitely something I look forward to for Helix.
    Pitch shifting in the Amplifire is also not polyphonic. For alt tuning you need a drop. For whammy stuff you need a whammy. EHX pitchfork works too. Afaik none of the modellers have nailed pitch shifting.

I have a pitchfork on my board which I use for most pitch shifting duties (fifth down, semi tone down, octave up), but I sometimes still use the internal pitch shift in the Amplifire, which glitchy and colours the tone. In some cases that's cool.

With an Amplifire or HX stomp it's pretty easy to put them on a board add an additional pedal. But I wouldn't want to do that with a Helix as its already big enough on its own. So it needs sorting really.
  • Wow - hard to resist picking up a stomp with mad sale reductions like this from Dawsons:
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/line-6-hx-stomp-guitar-multi-effects-processor
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That £1!
  • Wow - hard to resist picking up a stomp with mad sale reductions like this from Dawsons:
    https://www.dawsons.co.uk/line-6-hx-stomp-guitar-multi-effects-processor
    ffs I just clicked on that and got all excited hahahaha
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    srato said:
    I'm not bashing anything, I bought and use the Helix and ~1k is a lot of money. 

I've checked various forums and you're right, polyphonic pitch shifting is missing to a lot of people and I'm not the only one.  Of course people's tastes and needs are different but I'm not sure that adding yet another reverb or distortion FX to an already large number was such a priority in recent versions...
    Polyphonic pitchshift is a luxury most modellers don’t have.
    Those of us the need it put an EHX Pog 2 (or similar) on the front end.
  • 2.82 just went live. Just some bug fixes. No POG yet. Soz. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• what is everyone using polyphonic pitch shift for?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • what is everyone using polyphonic pitch shift for?
    A virtual capo
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    what is everyone using polyphonic pitch shift for?

I shift chords 3 cent higher when bassist is tuning by ear. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    For me I only have the one guitar and play songs ranging from standard down to C, so a Drop will allow me to get all these tunings without compromising the setup and feel of the guitar.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    TTBZ said:
    For me I only have the one guitar and play songs ranging from standard down to C, so a Drop will allow me to get all these tunings without compromising the setup and feel of the guitar.
    So do I but I just use a Whammy V in front of the Helix. As and when Helix gets a decent pitch shifter I'll dispense with the Whammy.  Yes it's one extra thing to carry about but I don't view it as show stopper.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Is it really good enough? Don't you hear the artifacts?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Is it really good enough? Don't you hear the artifacts?
    Is it good enough for a room full of people who've had lots to drink and don't notice if you get the words wrong, play the wrong chords or accidentally miss out verses?  I would say so.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it really good enough? Don't you hear the artifacts?
    I use the Digitech Drop pedal and yes, it is good enough. I used to have the Morpheus DropTune and you could definitely hear oddness in that one, which got worse the more you dropped. But with the Digitech pedal I don't hear any artifacts. Really great if you don't want to be constantly retuning or using different string gauges.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    This reminds me, at band practice last night we tried A/B'ing the other guitarists rev pedal versus the helix rev and its a damn good match.

The helix had a bit more low end but I put this down to going into the return on my diezel but it was very clearly the same tone.
    I was at the IGF in Bath Jon Bishop was saying that he used to have his "can't do without" pedals in loops on the Helix but he couldn't tell the difference so they are all going (including the Klon) :)
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I just got an HX stomp and the Teemah is so close to my Timmy clone that I can’t tell the difference, at least for my typical settings ( the pedal has more gain but it gets too fuzzy ).
    If the other pedal models turn out to be as good I think my pedalboard is going to shrink drastically.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000

Been using helix in 4CM with friedman JJ Jnr, which is sounding great.

problem is when I plug in the ext amp into the channel switch on amp, I get SOOOO much hum.

I'm guessing its either something to do with a ground loop / or that the amp is meant to be powering an LED in the foot switch ?

what can I do to stop the extra buzz?