Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904
    Line 6 hired a bunch of ex-Digitech people so expect Whammy quality poly-pitch at *some* point. No-one knows when.
    Not sure but I do know their names:-

Mr S. Pimpernel
    Mr K. Soze
    Mr H. Houdini

They are at a secret location with a POG, a fat jar of Nescafe and more pringles that you can shake a stick at.   

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:

Been using helix in 4CM with friedman JJ Jnr, which is sounding great.

problem is when I plug in the ext amp into the channel switch on amp, I get SOOOO much hum.

I'm guessing its either something to do with a ground loop / or that the amp is meant to be powering an LED in the foot switch ?

what can I do to stop the extra buzz?

The other guitarist in a band I was recently in had a Helix for a while using the 4CM with his Marshall and I believe had the same issue. After several trips back and forth to PMT, who ultimately recommended an extra noise gate pedal somewhere in the system, he ended up swapping it for a GT-1000.

To be fair, he was a bit of a lazy arse who hated learning how anything worked and although he tried to ensnare me in this debacle (because I'm not) the last thing I wanted, as the band's de facto soundman, was to be responsible for his own personal rig as well as setting up the rest of the PA at every gig.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. "Don't use the Helix" is probably not the answer you were looking for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    There's a few threads on the line 6 forum about this. Think you need to break the ground loop somewhere.  Something like this should do the job

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-Hum-Destroyer/27BH

Not great that that it does this though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Line 6 hired a bunch of ex-Digitech people so expect Whammy quality poly-pitch at *some* point. No-one knows when.

Mr S. Pimpernel
    Mr K. Soze
    Mr H. Houdini

They are at a secret location with a POG, a fat jar of Nescafe and more pringles that you can shake a stick at.   

Are those names references to Netflix TV shows?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3798
    Line 6 hired a bunch of ex-Digitech people so expect Whammy quality poly-pitch at *some* point. No-one knows when.

Mr S. Pimpernel
    Mr K. Soze
    Mr H. Houdini

Are those names references to Netflix TV shows?
    Seriously?

What is the education system coming to? =)
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Back to Helix after a fair lay off and determined to learn more about it this time rather than just half arsing it. 

I’m using native this time and not a hardware unit but I’m assuming other than minor things which won’t really concern me it’s one and the same in terms of the concepts of tweaking sounds. 

If anyone can point me towards some good resources for learning how to improve the quality of the patches or ‘must do’ things then I’m all ears! I know Jason Sadites knows his stuff and have based some patches on his videos before. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Back to Helix after a fair lay off and determined to learn more about it this time rather than just half arsing it. 

I’m using native this time and not a hardware unit but I’m assuming other than minor things which won’t really concern me it’s one and the same in terms of the concepts of tweaking sounds. 

If anyone can point me towards some good resources for learning how to improve the quality of the patches or ‘must do’ things then I’m all ears! I know Jason Sadites knows his stuff and have based some patches on his videos before. 
    My 'go to' resources with the Helix were Jason Sadites, Marco Fanton and Richie Castelleno. All 3 really know how to dial the Helix in. You will need to pay for Marco's presets but they really are very good.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    BRISTOL86 said:

My 'go to' resources with the Helix were Jason Sadites, Marco Fanton and Richie Castelleno. All 3 really know how to dial the Helix in. You will need to pay for Marco's presets but they really are very good.
    Thanks. I’m a bit wary of paying for presets at the moment. I copied one of Jason’s to the letter and it sounds completely different with my guitar and speakers so I think I’ll get to grips with it more and learn by doing for the time being until I’m a bit more au fait with it!
  • sgosden said:

Been using helix in 4CM with friedman JJ Jnr, which is sounding great.

problem is when I plug in the ext amp into the channel switch on amp, I get SOOOO much hum.

I'm guessing its either something to do with a ground loop / or that the amp is meant to be powering an LED in the foot switch ?

what can I do to stop the extra buzz?

The other guitarist in a band I was recently in had a Helix for a while using the 4CM with his Marshall and I believe had the same issue. After several trips back and forth to PMT, who ultimately recommended an extra noise gate pedal somewhere in the system, he ended up swapping it for a GT-1000.

To be fair, he was a bit of a lazy arse who hated learning how anything worked and although he tried to ensnare me in this debacle (because I'm not) the last thing I wanted, as the band's de facto soundman, was to be responsible for his own personal rig as well as setting up the rest of the PA at every gig.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. "Don't use the Helix" is probably not the answer you were looking for. 
    I whacked a behringer ground loop breaker in and it worked a treat. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1063
    Anyone else had issues with the most recent update?

The laptop (Windows 8) won't even recognise the Helix LT anymore as a connected device.

Now I just get a message on the Helix in white text Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!

The top left hand corner in red text :-3

Guess I will have to do a reset on the Helix?

I just wish I hadn't bothered trying to update now ;0(
  • from memory i think that message is expected
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    duotone said:

The laptop (Windows 8) won't even recognise the Helix LT anymore as a connected device.

Now I just get a message on the Helix in white text Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!

Item 6 in the 2.81 release notes says:

"Think "Hmm, maybe I should've backed up first? Nah, I insist on subverting the dominant paradigm," and click "OK." Helix begins updating. As wholly expected, because we warned you... because you always read the instructions... halfway through the update process, Line 6 Updater displays a second dialog and Helix's LCD reads "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" THIS IS NORMAL. DO NOT FREAK OUT, TAKE A PHOTO, AND THEN POST IT ONLINE BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL MAKE FUN OF YOU FOR NOT READING THESE INSTRUCTIONS."

Item 6 from the 2.80 is the same apart from the bit about people making fun of you.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2817
    I get ok use of my HX FX but I've never really delved that deeply or experimented. Could anyone save me a thread and internet trawl and point me in the direction of decent tutorial and/or demo YouTube content? Especially stuff that's a wee bit post-rocky, alternative or experimental?

I'd like to get a bit beyond the functional jack of all trades vibe I currently get from the unit.

Ta
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    siremoon said:
    duotone said:

"Think "Hmm, maybe I should've backed up first? Nah, I insist on subverting the dominant paradigm," and click "OK." Helix begins updating. As wholly expected, because we warned you... because you always read the instructions... halfway through the update process, Line 6 Updater displays a second dialog and Helix's LCD reads "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" THIS IS NORMAL. DO NOT FREAK OUT, TAKE A PHOTO, AND THEN POST IT ONLINE BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL MAKE FUN OF YOU FOR NOT READING THESE INSTRUCTIONS."

Item 6 from the 2.80 is the same apart from the bit about people making fun of you.
    You know what I make fun of? Designing an update process that gives a failure message on purpose 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • here's a little patch that I put together this morning....I do quite like the sounds you can get out of the Helix!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    TimmyO said:
    siremoon said:
    duotone said:

You know what I make fun of? Designing an update process that gives a failure message on purpose 

Except they didn't design "an update process that gives a failure message on purpose". 

They clearly had a situation where the nature of the upgrade caused the old software to clash with the new.  It seems pretty obvious that the error message is coming from the old software on the unit not the upgrade being applied.  Therefore to avoid the message they would have had to patch the previous version to suppress the message and then load the new version, in other words make the whole upgrade process longer and more complicated as well as incurring additional development effort, time and money.  The vast majority of those who had a problem with the error message clearly didn't read the instructions and were therefore not expecting it.  Hence the added emphasis on this point in the release notes of the subsequent release.

If I were being hyper-critical then I would say that Line 6 could have provided a little more information in the instructions as to why that message appeared.  A couple of sentences written with humour and in laymen's terms perhaps.  But they probably figured those who read the instructions wouldn't be bothered anyway and it would not be seen by those who didn't. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordy said:
    here's a little patch that I put together this morning....I do quite like the sounds you can get out of the Helix!
    Loved it. In fact, everything you post is pure class musically. Happy Christmas!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    ewal said:
    I get ok use of my HX FX but I've never really delved that deeply or experimented. Could anyone save me a thread and internet trawl and point me in the direction of decent tutorial and/or demo YouTube content? Especially stuff that's a wee bit post-rocky, alternative or experimental?

I'd like to get a bit beyond the functional jack of all trades vibe I currently get from the unit.

Ta
    jason sadites on you tube
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    edited December 2019
    JohnCordy said:
    here's a little patch that I put together this morning....I do quite like the sounds you can get out of the Helix!
    Oh man! That is outstanding. Is your amp set up clean? Is your drive coming from the Helix?
    Edit.. just noticed you're not plugged into the front of your Boogie.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • siremoon said:
    TimmyO said:
    siremoon said:
    duotone said:

Except they didn't design "an update process that gives a failure message on purpose". 

They clearly had a situation where the nature of the upgrade caused the old software to clash with the new.  It seems pretty obvious that the error message is coming from the old software on the unit not the upgrade being applied.  Therefore to avoid the message they would have had to patch the previous version to suppress the message and then load the new version, in other words make the whole upgrade process longer and more complicated as well as incurring additional development effort, time and money.  The vast majority of those who had a problem with the error message clearly didn't read the instructions and were therefore not expecting it.  Hence the added emphasis on this point in the release notes of the subsequent release.

If I were being hyper-critical then I would say that Line 6 could have provided a little more information in the instructions as to why that message appeared.  A couple of sentences written with humour and in laymen's terms perhaps.  But they probably figured those who read the instructions wouldn't be bothered anyway and it would not be seen by those who didn't. 
    Nope, it was half assed.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.