Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Mkjackary said:

... you would only need 7.8 Billion AxeFX.
    Any idea on a delivery time?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385
    edited February 2016
    Mkjackary said:
    Lots of math
    Good attempt, and well done for showing your workings, but I'm afraid that there's a couple of huge flaws with this:

1. I don't know of a bass with a 25.5" scale length, so your 0.49m is underestimated. Taking this Jazz bass as an example would then give an output of  9.6 Billion AxeFx (0.605 / (63* 10e12)).image
    2. However, unless I'm being blind, your workings neglected to multiply this by 6, to be able to determine the one-AxeFx-per-fret-per-string... so the answer is now 57.6 Billion AxeFx's required!
    3. You neglected to identify the species of wood used for your averages - given the range of density between say, balsa & ebony, that allows for huge variation in the number of AxeFxs required!

And we're still not done!!! I'm afraid you neglected to account for the added relative fret created by string bending across the fingerboard, or from behind the nut (e.g. fret at the last atom of the fingerboard, and then bend to increase pitch). That would be pedantic to count though, which I'm clearly not, so I'll let you off. :D

@Mkjackary - 7/10 for effort.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30203
    I'm not sure about this atomic length thing.

Surely we should be working to Planck lengths?

Also does anyone know if the Helix phaser(s) have barberpole LFO modes?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitargeek62;969311" said:
    Mkjackary said:Lots of math

Good attempt, and well done for showing your workings, but I'm afraid that there's a couple of huge flaws with this:

I don't know of a bass with a 25.5" scale length, so your 0.49m is underestimated. Taking this Jazz bass as an example would then give an output of  9.6 Billion AxeFx (0.605 / (63* 10e12)).However, unless I'm being blind, your workings neglected to multiply this by 6, to be able to determine the one-AxeFx-per-fret-per-string... so the answer is now 57.6 Billion AxeFx's required!You neglected to identify the species of wood used for your averages - given the range of density between say, balsa & ebony, that allows for huge variation in the number of AxeFxs required!

And we're still not done!!! I'm afraid you neglected to account for the added relative fret created by string bending across the fingerboard, or from behind the nut (e.g. fret at the last atom of the fingerboard, and then bend to increase pitch). That would be pedantic to count though, which I'm clearly not, so I'll let you off. :D

Who said I was talking about bass? I was talking about guitar, specifically one with a 25.5 inch scale length.

Sadly there isn't any data I could find on the chemical composition between ebony and rosewood et. But they will all be roughly in the same ratio as no matter what the density, the dry wood will always be hydrocarbons and they will always have roughly that ratio.

You assume I'm working with a bass (four strings) yet tell me I should have multiplied by 6?

Whilst a good observation, you missed a vitvital yet obvious point, the guitar in question is fretless, nobody (not even Guthrie govan) can play chords on a fretless. You would only be playing one string at a time so multiplying by 6 would just be a waste of resources.

Now adding one atom to a calculation rounder to 2 sig fig would be litterally pointless.

The major flaw in my calculations are that I assumed all the atoms are touching from one end to the other. However in reality the atoms are separated by the bond lengths and the molecules the atoms make (such as cellulose) are also separated from other molecules by even bigger gaps.

However if I did account for this it would multiply the total by roughly 3 ish, (bond lengths will be on average twice the diameter of the average molecule. (Used c-c, c-h and c-o to average a rough ratio between particle size and bond length
    But I also didn't account for axe fx breaking, they have a falure rate of 2:1 (for every 3 you buy, two break) so the amount you need and cost would still be the same.

So they cancel each other out, rather conveniently, completely.

So there, *blows raspberries*
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • This thread is going to shit! :-t
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Exactly right. What a load of tripe!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8087

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385
    edited February 2016
    Mkjackary said:
    guitargeek62;969311" said:
    Mkjackary said:Lots of math

Who said I was talking about bass? I was talking about guitar, specifically one with a 25.5 inch scale length.

*I am the walrus*

So there, *blows raspberries*
    :D

Well, given that the comment that gave rise to the one-AxeFx-per-fret-per-string was about a six-string fretless bass, it stands to reason that the math would be bassed* on one!

*see what I did there? hur hur hur

Getting back on track:  The new Matchless models are friggin luvverly. I'm so happy with the Helix right now.

• Does anybody have an idea a when the next batch are due to land in the UK?
    Andertons are saying end of the month.
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 483
    edited February 2016

I've got GAS 
    :(
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Sean Halley could play an accordion with a hammer and make it sound great
    But it is a great device
    He does a great job of smoothing over the patch changes
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 387
    Has anyone used a Piezo equipped electric to get a usable acoustic tone though the Helix as yet?

If so, what was your stretegy?
    Use the Taylor 314 IR or that is kicking about the Internet and knock off quite a lot of low and high EQ
    Use the la compressor on the way out
    You can get quite good stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said: Andertons are saying end of the month.
    And they've just changed
    which month. To March.

Well, I say they've changed it, I imagine it's Line6 that have changed the ETA.

I'm still a little disgruntled. If I'd known it was going to be this long I'd have spend the money (well, a third of it) on getting proper modern tuners put into the cello.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 387
    Cabicular said:
    Use the Taylor 314 IR or that is kicking about the Internet and knock off quite a lot of low and high EQ
    Use the la compressor on the way out
    You can get quite good stuff

That Taylor IR worked like a charm. Thanks fot the pointer,
    It's funny
    Everyone is using that one IR. I have no idea where it came from or why there aren't more acoustic IRs about
    If I had any idea how to do it I'd profile some of my Atkins (I've got a great sounding dread aught and a real nice OM)
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Cabicular;973725" said:
    It's funny
    Everyone is using that one IR. I have no idea where it came from or why there aren't more acoustic IRs about
    If I had any idea how to do it I'd profile some of my Atkins (I've got a great sounding dread aught and a real nice OM)
    theres an impulse response utility in Logic apparently. More info here:

https://jimamsden.wordpress.com/2015/12/24/creating-an-acoustic-guitar-impulse-response-for-line6-helix/
    I've seen Jims stuff but that tells you how to extract for a Fishman aura . I dont know how you would do it from just a body
    Fire a sine wave at it?
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Mmm. A fair point. For reverbs they say play a sine wave in the space from a decent monitor, so I supposed you could do that into the body of the guitar... I did read something somewhere else about tapping the body of the guitar with a muffled spoon or similar, but that is surely too easy!