Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30203
    I like these ideas.

But I was thinking less conventional. I'm not 100% clear on what an IR "looks like" file-wise so will have a look at some existing ones first.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It looks like a really short .wav file usually 500ms or less, few kb I think.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    I don't actually know what an impulse response is or what it is for.

But for some reason the term sounds cool.

I'm having un-natural thoughts about assembling a new Rig of Doom.

The best version so far had 4 blended signals - 2 from a Bass Pod Pro XT and 2 from an Ampeg SVP-BSP.

I still have the Ampeg.

The XT was limited in the 2 signals as it wasn't anything more than a DI clean blend. Very useful, but not the same as a 2nd amp model etc.

At the time I was trying to sort out frequency specific drives and the amount of outboard EQ gear I would have needed was a problem.

The Helix might solve that. I don't use a lot of modulation or verbs on bass so the processing power would be used for parallel signal paths and EQs / compressors more than anything else.

Mmmmm....

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I don't actually know what an impulse response is or what it is for.

But for some reason the term sounds cool.

I'm having un-natural thoughts about assembling a new Rig of Doom.

The best version so far had 4 blended signals - 2 from a Bass Pod Pro XT and 2 from an Ampeg SVP-BSP.

I still have the Ampeg.

The XT was limited in the 2 signals as it wasn't anything more than a DI clean blend. Very useful, but not the same as a 2nd amp model etc.

At the time I was trying to sort out frequency specific drives and the amount of outboard EQ gear I would have needed was a problem.

The Helix might solve that. I don't use a lot of modulation or verbs on bass so the processing power would be used for parallel signal paths and EQs / compressors more than anything else.

Mmmmm....
    Sounds like a bad idea to me.
    Why?

My experience of modelling is limited to older units and iPad Amplitude.

Will the Helix not do what I describe?

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    It will. But I think you should focus on setting fire to children.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's work. I need a hobby.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    mine is in the office I'll go and get it tomorrow
    Do I have enough time to set it up for tomorrow nights gig....
    I've had a bit more of a play. Some oddities interface-wise (leaving assignment mode isn't straightforward) but the sounds are decent. Very decent. Firmware 1.06.5 seems to have fixed all the "why isn't there a..." questions I had. Nice selection of LFOs on at least some of the effect blocks, the control assignments work pretty well.

I do think a Source Audio Reflex will be an excellent addition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Splits merged and multiple footswitch assignments are the bits that stumped me a bit at first
    I've got there now
    My main preset is split at the end so I can put an EQ block in front of the 1/4 outputs while leaving the XLRs for full range
    Gigging tonight
    Wish me luck
    Yeah - i do like having parallel paths, then using an autopanner and a mono block after it to wiggle between two different modulations. There's so much you can do. I even made some fairly normal sounds...
    I'm really struggling to get enough midrange into it
    Even chopping massive top and bottom off and boasting the midrange it's very scooped
    Far too much low end and high end
    I need to get to grips with this or it's had it
  • Strange, can't say I'm noticing that? What are you running it through?
    A variety of kit
    Last night it was an Atomic reactor for on stage and the line 6 stage source PA out front
    It sounds great at lower volumes but in a band context it just doesn't have the punch and I think it is because it favours a scooped kind of rock tone
    You know what happens when you take a smile EQ and punt it up
    The highs are too high and the lows are too low
    Maybe I need to set up the PA with the band and fuck about with it (there is only so much people will tolerate at a sound check / gig)
    Or maybe I just ditch the amp modelling and go back into the front end of my amps
    The FX are great and the flexibility of 10 footswitches latching and unlatching just unbeatable
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    With modellers if you dont like the sound I'd start with the cabs and mic usually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah possible inshouldnjust cycle through them at soundcheck
    Maybe I'm picking cabs that sound good at low volume and that's what is giving me the hassle
    With real amps you'd adjust the EQ according to the volume level, so I'd suggest the same with a modeller.
  • Cabicular said:
    Yeah possible inshouldnjust cycle through them at soundcheck
    Maybe I'm picking cabs that sound good at low volume and that's what is giving me the hassle
    As with all things amp-related you need to set up your gigging sounds at gigging levels, where generally a shitload of mids is your friend, which isn't necessarily true at home. 

It's the same effect as to why the so-called transparent ODs are very popular with home noodlers but Klons and Tubescreamers are brilliant when you crank things up.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    It's worth mentioning I'm not exactly new at this but it's different with the Helix
    Traditional guitar amps almost sort themselves out as you bring the volume up
    It's not just a case of setting it up louder, you need to set it up with the band going as well so you can tune where it sits
    In anticipation of that I had an EQ block in all my presets with massive low and high end rolled off and a big mid range boost which is just for gigging volume
    My issue is that even with that and an inverse smile on the EQ on the desk, it STILL wasn't enough
    I don't think I could get it to be enough without it starting to sound buzzy
    But the cab and mic change is a good call
    If it has that profile at the beginning then all the EQ in the world is not going to change it that much
    Honestly though I might be better served ditching the modelling side of it
    @hugbot
    The more I think about it the more I think you are right
    The modelling of the mic and the speaker cab is introducing a whole different layer of EQ that I'm not used to dealing with. I'm trying to EQ a recorded and EQd signal through a mic which has its own EQ characteristics and then trying to EQ it for a set of PA speakers which are EQd for the room
    Too much going on
    Rather than trying to fix the EQ of the guitar I should pick a speaker and cab emulation which more closely matches what I'm doing live
    It's the static nature of IRs I think that it tripping me up
    Traditional guitar amps and speakers naturally change at volume where is the IRs seem more
    Like a snapshot that just basically gets louder or quieter
    This may be obvious to everyone else so sorry about working it out 'out loud' but it's very useful