Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8087
    Sporky said:
    It's probably worth pointing out that Fret and I have been conversing on this subject, so I can reveal that RoDM5 will involve two Helix Racks, 6.5kW of amplification, and a rotary subwoofer.

One of the expression pedals will be devoted to controlling the phase of the moon.
    he's downsizing ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30203
    In Top Trumps terms yes, but the cabs are all CF folded horns so we're anticipating a 25-26dB increase in SPL. Also a flat frequency response from 20Hz down to DC.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Sporky said:
    It's probably worth pointing out that Fret and I have been conversing on this subject, so I can reveal that RoDM5 will involve two Helix Racks, 6.5kW of amplification, and a rotary subwoofer.

One of the expression pedals will be devoted to controlling the phase of the moon.
    Moist.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

The most power I've had before was from a Yamaha P5000S.

That was very loud but the cabs I had at the time, womderful sounding Hartke Pro2200, would have been destroyed if I had cranked the amp.

I would love to hear slap/thump bass through a rotary sub.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    I would love to hear slap/thump bass through a rotary sub.
    Is it a Trident sub?
    I was thinking of the Eminent Technologies TRW-17, but your idea is good too.

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/index_files/front quarter view3.jpg
    What the hell is that for?

It's a sub-subwoofer.

The blades are articulated by a power amp. It starts working at around 20Hz and gets more efficient as the frequency drops - right down to DC.

Popular in very high end home cinema (you've not felt an on-film explosion until you've experienced one of these) and for theme park stuff - you can create upsetting infrasonic stuff and also use it in haunted-house type things to blow doors open. Lovely, if somewhat ridiculous, bit of kit.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385
    Is anyone else finding the fuzzes to be a bit uninspired so far? There's a good range on there, but they all seem a little too tame compared to what I was expecting/hoping for - that said, I usually have that issue with fuzz so maybe they're 100% accurate and it's just me that's broke?! :D
    I have reproduced my old discrete pedalboard setup as a Helix patch and it works very nicely.

However, I would like a better interface to the looper, so I'm thinking about building an Arduino-driven footswitch that puts out MIDI cc messages for start, stop and so on to save going in and out of looper mode. Probably five footswitches. I think I can also then use a spare input pin on the Arduino (with a bit of surrounding circuitry perhaps) to create the expression control I wanted - take a feed out of Send 1 and use it to drive the pin, get the Arduino to generate an envelope from that and then send that envelope information out on another cc so that it can be assigned to any parameter. I've found a bundle with a pre-programmed Arduino (Miduino?) and MIDI shield so just the metalwork to do.

The kit also supports 5 pots so I could add a silly number of extra expression pedals too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Is anyone else finding the fuzzes to be a bit uninspired so far? There's a good range on there, but they all seem a little too tame compared to what I was expecting/hoping for - that said, I usually have that issue with fuzz so maybe they're 100% accurate and it's just me that's broke?! :D
    I thought they were a bit full on. but I'm not a fan of fuzz at the best of time so have left well alone
    I don't think I'd describe the Industrial Fuzz as "tame". :D
    Recently I have been unexpectedly enjoying the TS model into the Plexi model.

Still haven't managed a very good bass sound. Not even as good as Micro POG into Keeley compressor. I think I'm missing something.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I have recently been enjoying the soldano inspired amp models. The crunch is particularly good.
  • Sporky said:
    Recently I have been unexpectedly enjoying the TS model into the Plexi model.

Still haven't managed a very good bass sound. Not even as good as Micro POG into Keeley compressor. I think I'm missing something.
    Wait, you mean a tone for bass guitar or bass emulation from a guitar? Currently, Helix has no polyphonic pitch shifting like Micro POG, so that's not surprising. Try the new Pitch/Synth > Simple Pitch block and play single notes—that'll probably get you closest.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    Bass emulation - only needs to be good enough for looping. Probably needs some EQ - I've been using the simple pitch block and some compression.
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    what, this is over a grand with silly great processors and such, and there is no polyphonic octaver???

The hardware not up to it or is it too much of a reasorce hog or just not got round to making one yet?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524

Mkjackary said:
    what, this is over a grand with silly great processors and such, and there is no polyphonic octaver???

The hardware not up to it or is it too much of a reasorce hog or just not got round to making one yet?
    Iirc "We have bigger fish to fry" was the exact quote when this question was raised elswhere
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    And to be fair a lot of functionality has been added in the new firmware releases, so it's not like they're not busy doing something.