Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Aldi

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I might win most mundane topic of the week for this, but what are people's thoughts on Aldi?

The two nearest supermarkets to me are Waitrose and Asda. I tend to shop at Asda unless I want something poncey that they don't sell as the food seems to be of a largely equivalent quality and the main advantage of Waitrose seems to be the opportunity to have your groceries scanned by a ruddy cheeked public schoolboy. 

In a week however they are opening an Aldi even closer still (about 10 minutes walk). 
When I mentioned this at work a few of the more middle class people turned their nose up at the fact that I shop at Asda, but had only praise for Aldi. 

This surprised me a bit as I thought that Aldi was in a lower strata of cheepo poor people shops, however they stuck some propaganda through my door suggesting they are the Which? supermarket of the year. A bit of digging suggests they sell fairly high quality stuff with the savings obtained by pairing the overheads to the bone.

Seems like it might be worth a look as a potential way for me to save a few quid. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 620
    my shopping was around £150 a week at tesco ...we go Aldi and get everything we need for around 50 quid less..i think its a great shop...good quality stuff as well...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24728
    I love Aldi, though they're not as cheap as Lidl.  They do some great wines, plus, like Lidl, they've always got a wide array of tools and gadgets you don't need but simply must have :-)  They have a greater range of big name brands than Lidl too.

I have their app on my phone so I can see what gadgets I don't need that they have in this week !

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    We had a Lidl and then an Aldi to break the Tesco monopoly here, we were called Tesco town due to having 4 Tesco sites and a potential 5th. Then add land banking and it took years for Asda, Lidl and aldi to get a toe hold.

Lidl deserves the reputation it has and may colour peoples perception of Aldi but they are like night and day. Lidl we tried twice never to return but Aldi is pretty decent with quality stuff and branded stuff often cheaper than Tesco/Asda/Morrisons.

Some of the more exotic euro foods are an acquired taste and challenging to the taste buds, but some of it is lovely and at times better than our usual fare.

Not sure about down South but in Scotland they are growing well and improving all the time.

We have a phrase "gie it laldy" which is equivalent to giving it some, Aldi tapped into this and got even more traction.

Well worth a go though you may be pleasantly surprised.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    Interesting stuff thanks. 

I've just noticed the Aldi website has got a big splash about it's 500th store on the front page which is (fanfare) the one up the road from me. 

• vizviz Frets: 10780
    I've been waiting for an Aldi thread since this place began. It's UNBELIEVABLE. 34p for a kilo of rice?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I fuckin love Aldi, and Lidl. Saves me a mega-bundle for all kinds of stuff.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I was a deputy mgr with Lidl 4 years ago and like any workplace there were a few jumped up twunts working for them further up the ladder, that said, if you kept your head down and, i quote, "beasted stock out", you'de be ok.
    There's no doubt, the credit crunch helped them massively because it forced customers to shop with them based on price alone rather than perception of the stores/company.
    In terms of the products, they focus very high on quality - especially fruit n veg, and sometimes stock lines you probably would struggle to get in other places, which attracts quite mix of people.
    Bloody long hours though, and as they dont generally have many staff - theres many times a 6am-4pm shift ended up being a 6am-9pm shift if people were off sick.
    On average though, 50 quid for a full trolley of shopping is pretty good really.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27870
    Interestingly, I find Aldi to be shit and Lidl to be brilliant. Either way, doing a whole shop in one of them doesn't save money, but working out what is good there and bulk-buying that worked well for us. FOr me that means tinned chopped tomatos, cheese, pitta breads, honey & jam but not veg, loo roll and meat. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Aldi's OK, it's having to dress down to go in there that's a pain.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Nearest ASDA - 7.9 miles
    Nearest LIDL - 9.0 miles
    Nearest ALDI - 17.5 miles

I think people want me to use the Sainsbury's Tesco Marks & Spencer and Waitrose :( all of which are within walking distance
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I love the way Aldi use 'tribute band' style names. The Jogger chocolate bar is their bootleg bootleg version of a Marathon/Snickers. Titan bar is a Mars bar. All with 'familiar' looking packaging.
  • vizviz Frets: 10780
    Love instead of Clover. Genius.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited October 2013
    Like others have said above, if I go to Aldi I spend about 2/3rds of what I would at the Asda across the road.  Their own brand stuff is generally pretty good and they often have name brand stuff on cheap deals too.  Keep things cheap by being streamlined and only stocking (for example) one type of baked beans rather than a full aisle with 6 different types of essentially the same thing - so they need smaller stores and have lower running costs as a consequence.  

I'll usually go there for the majority of things and then run over the road to the Asda (literally opposite each other) for the few things that I can't get there (or that the kids absolutely have to have the 'real' brands).  When I lived alone I was quite happy to buy everything there.

Like not_the_dj says, they are a bit Tokai in their presentation of the own brand stuff, but it leaves you in little doubt as to what you're buying at least!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    Weirdly I've just seen an article about having a Wiatrose making an area posher. 
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24629300

We've had a Waitrose for years, but since I've moved to Bury St E they've opened an Asda and now an Aldi so I think I may have brought down the neighbourhood. 

So would it be fair to say the best thing with Aldi is to go and grab all the stuff that's on offer, or do peopel use it for their main shop?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    We end up doing a Tesco main shop out of convenience for various reasons. Aldi is fine and we might pop in but they have such a limited range we couldn't do a weekly shop there. Somethings are cheap and bargaintastic, somethings are cheap and craptastic.
    The shoppers seem to be roughly split between those bulk buying something they have worked out is a bargain ( stuffing the back of the Range Rover with special offer wines) and those buying cheap family food for a couple of days. From my odd trips there I would say it is rare to see someone obviously doing a big family shop ( although I would say the same about Waitrose).
    As a shopping experience it is better than Asda though which just seems to be a day prison for the depressed.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2013
    I work right next door to an Aldi so I just pop in for the last minute stuff (and chocolate bars).

Where I live we have a tired looking Sainsburys and a shinny new (well a few years old now) Waitrose. The Sainsburys is mainly there to keep the riff-raff away from Waitrose. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34008
    Never been to a Lidl in my life.

We have Sainsbury, Waitrose, Morrisons, Tesco and various express/metro shops around here.

We do have Poundland/Iceland (also never been to) etc in the Oaks shopping centre, which is being knocked down for a Waitrose and a bunch of new flats.
    Gentrification rocks.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    if you buy/eat supermarket  own brand type stuff   its pretty good. If you dont and/or like better choice,  and you dont mind waiting 30 mins at a checkout queue with little or no room to pack your bag(s)  then its great.

We mix between Tescos (our closest normal choice cos of the points and fuel)  Asda, and Waitrose (uber selection of Gin), the latter being a bit of a hike.  However there is a new Asda opening "nearer" us in December, we'll probably give that a go.....

The odd trip to Aldi/Lild 90% lyusual ends in us leaving the shopping basket "mid isle" cos of the stupidly long queues

Customer service at Waitrose, is second to none.  Uber polite and very efficient......most of the other places is usually a "dunno" then proceeds to check the very shelf you've just spent 5 minutes looking at to be told "no sorry"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    We tried our local Aldi/Lidl and we really struggled with getting a full shop there. We also found that we couldnt get any where near as much stuff as compared tp tesco but maybe its just the size of our local shop?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    @bertie our Aldi is easily quicker service than the main supermarkets.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.