Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

1235»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:

It was all going well for us with Aldi.....until we got the famous parking invoice for overstaying the 90 minute limit at our local one. Google 'Aldi parking' for the background.

£40 charge, £70 if you don't pay within 2 weeks. Made to look like a fine, but isn't.

Do they have any power to fine you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    martinw said:

It was all going well for us with Aldi.....until we got the famous parking invoice for overstaying the 90 minute limit at our local one. Google 'Aldi parking' for the background.

£40 charge, £70 if you don't pay within 2 weeks. Made to look like a fine, but isn't.

My thinking exactly ... I don't think they do. Doesn't happen at my local store. Maybe @Fretmeister can comment on its legality.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    tFB Trader
    A quick google suggests they are just chancing their arm to see if you will pay. People can't just issue you with fines, they don't have any legal power to do so.

I don't think my local one has the system as it's not anywhere you would choose to park to get into town etc. I think they actually have the opposite problem as they have a tiny car park and so people are parking in the furniture superstore car park next door and I can imagine they will be getting pretty pissed off. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    Saint Etienne is Aldi's Stella copy, £3 for 4 cans, nice!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Fretwired;79301" said:
    monquixote said:

I might win most mundane topic of the week for this, but what are people's thoughts on Aldi?

Shop there all the time and at Lidl ... I hate Tesco's with a passion. The beer, wine, meat and cheese are excellent and you can save a fortune on cleaning stuff.
    Fretwired,
    Just out of interest why do you hate tescos?
    And why does everyone call it "tescos" when the name is Tesco?

:P
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dont pay Martin, they never chase you for it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Fretwired said:
    martinw said:

My thinking exactly ... I don't think they do. Doesn't happen at my local store. Maybe @Fretmeister can comment on its legality.
    Don't pay it Martin, Parking eye got us twice about 5 years ago, we didnt pay, heard nothing since.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I wonder if Geordies ever get confused that Aldi isn't open 24 hours a day.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    ... and there's another LOL for your collection, sir!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Nitefly said:
    Fretwired;79301" said:
    monquixote said:

I might win most mundane topic of the week for this, but what are people's thoughts on Aldi?

Shop there all the time and at Lidl ... I hate Tesco's with a passion. The beer, wine, meat and cheese are excellent and you can save a fortune on cleaning stuff.
    Fretwired,
    Just out of interest why do you hate tescos?
    And why does everyone call it "tescos" when the name is Tesco?

:P
    THANK YOU
    My V key is broken
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    martinw said:

Don't pay it Martin, Parking eye got us twice about 5 years ago, we didnt pay, heard nothing since.

Emailed Aldi customer service about it and they're cancelling the charge.

Thing is though, I shouldn't have to. It seems they cancel the charge if you complain (if you have a proof of shopping at Aldi).......which makes it a scam to raise money. Obviously, not everyone complains, so some pay, those being the least able to stand up for themselves.

It's like any other scam, where most people don't fall for it, but one poor old chap does, so it's worth sending out the 'fines' knowing that it will generate a given amount of revenue.

If it was a valid charge, they would pursue it through the courts.

As to it's legality, the law seems to be unclear from what I've read. It's the same issue that affects all parking on private land. It can be deemed to be entering into a contract, so it gets complicated really quickly, and the technology to monitor (sketchily) comings and goings has overtaken governance of same.

As with most things, those with the most money can intimidate those with less. :(

• Send Parking Eye an email saying that they appear to have left a letter lying on your doormat for the last five days and are incurring a fine of £20 per day until they send someone round to have it removed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom