Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Many own brand products with the exception of kelloggs are made by known brands - i've been in retail for the last 20 years and very often i've seen co-op morrisons asda products etcetc roll through the backdoor.
    I work for tesco now and if u shop smartly you can quite a few products as low as lidls/aldi - you just have to look for the discounter brands.
    As for morrisons - well i worked through the safeway/morrisons conversion and they are (or were at least) vile to work for.Aggressive and arrogant - truly some of the worst management (area and above) that i have ever worked for.
    I believe that the takeover (described as a "merger"by safeway and "takeover" by morrisons) is now ranked as one of the worst company buyouts ever.
    I can clearly remember being told that they (the morrisons conversion teams) were "cleansing" the stores of everything safeway!
    I worked for a couple of days on a store conversion in Devizes. It was hell.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Read this thread this morning and it prompted me to try our local Aldi for a change.

We bought slightly more than we'd normally get from Morrison's and it turned out at £60 instead of around £90.

Wow!

Quality at least as good, less choice in some areas, more in others.

We'll be shopping at Aldi in future....feeding 2 teenage boys, 16 and 18, is no laughing matter, and we've been really noticing how much more our food had been costing.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Me too - I am gonna try Aldi this week.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    I suggest @Monquixote writes to Aldi to ask for commission. :-)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    I might do actually!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    What I find depressing, and yet fascinating at the same time, is having a nose at other people's trolleys.  You can see why we are a nation of fatties and getting fatter...  so many people's trolleys are stuffed with white bread, cakes, sweet things, ready meals etc.  The pizza making counter in my local Asda always has a queue, and I always want to shout "FFS, learn to cook something you lazy lardarses !".

I have to keep an eye on my saturated fat intake, what with the ticker etc, and it's only when you start making the effort to examine the labels that you see just how insanely unhealthy most ready-made / processed stuff is.

Anyway... in Aldi this week.... Acoustic Guitars ! - just £34.99 !

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited October 2013
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    suspiciousminds;67879" said:
    An old area manager once said to me-
    "Retail, is detail!".
    Whatever the fuck that meant i dont know!:)
    Is he off that comedy program Trollied, it sounds just like a line from it.  ;)

I hate all that tosh I had a boss who came out with some gems worthy of the worst facepalming ever, he even quoted from Wall Street. You know lunch is for wimps etc etc.

When he was in his 30's he pitched (read pestered) Richard Branson with a get rich quick plan stating that he would produce bog roll for him with the Virgin logo etc and Branson's name monogrammed onto the paper.

He never could grasp why he never heard back from Branson, I did try to explain companies may take a dim view of people wiping their arses on their Corporate logo.

To no avail it was one of those thiscow is close and small with that one being big and far away. He even showed me some samples of what he sent, I shit you not.

What a Turkey's rectum he was!
  • Tbh, i think whoever writes trollied must have inside info.
    Another one frequently used was "eye level is buy level".
    Cringeworthy.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    I like Lidl and Aldi, the fruit and veg is always fresh top quality and so much cheaper than the alternatives. They do some products that I really like. I tend to drop into each alternate weeks for a look while passing (Lidl near home and Aldi near work). Both also have some special purchases (mostly low quality) which occasionally turn out to be worth it. I got a router table for £19.99 a few years ago (couldn't make one that cheap). Cycle paniers also cheap and perfectly functional. I like thier large tin of chili con carne and they even have offers on brand names sometimes like Heinz beans. I also buy my Dishwasher tabs and salt there. Some of the European cold meats are an aquired taste.
    I use Morrisons for the weekly shop but Aldi and Lidl are good. Waitrose are good for some niche products but thier fruit and veg are over priced and rarely of premium freshness/quality.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8869
    Aldi stand out for me because they seem to have a different merchandising approach from the Asda/Sainsbury/Tesco mob.  A/S/T aim to stock a large range of items types, say 50,000 marginally different options.  Their business model is to persuade us, the poor bloody customer, to spend more than we expect through buying more volume, or moving to a more expensive item.  Aldi can't play that game because they often don't have the space.  They frequently don't have everything on my 21st century shopping list, it's bit like shopping in the 60s, but between the reduced choice and some lower prices they do actually reduce our food spend.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3972
    The biggest and most refreshing change it's made to my shopping regime is the way they rush you through the checkout. I used to think it was rude and a bit of a turn off but I've now used it to my advantage. I literally throw it all into the trolley and don't use any bags. Then I have 3 fruit boxes in the boot of my motor and just load up. Makes it easy to unload and unpack at home too. Total shopping time is about 40 minutes including travelling now. Bliss for someone who hates shopping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Sod supermarkets I can't stand the places, just get Tesco to deliver everything :D

That said I've bought a fair bit of cheap booze from Aldi / Lidl. I once bought some fruit - think it was Aldi but not sure - but none of it tasted right.
    All practice and no theory
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34026
    New York composer John Zorn had his kitchen ripped out so he could fill it with bookcases.
    He eats out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3972
    dafuzz;68324" said:
    Sod supermarkets I can't stand the places, just get Tesco to deliver everything :D

That said I've bought a fair bit of cheap booze from Aldi / Lidl. I once bought some fruit - think it was Aldi but not sure - but none of it tasted right.
    Probably because you were pissed up dafuzz

<:-P
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    New York composer John Zorn had his kitchen ripped out so he could fill it with bookcases.
    He eats out.
    I bet he's popular with the ladies. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34026
    octatonic said:
    He eats out.
    I bet he's popular with the ladies. 
    I'm not sure his interest lies in that direction.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I love Lidl, my closest 'proper' supermarket is one - for canned/dried/cooked/frozen stuff you can't beat it, fresh stuff can be a little hot-and-miss though. If I go in there just before closing and get lucky on the reduced meat I can get all the ingredients for a proper dinner for two which'll leave leftovers for three or four quid maximum, their frozen pizzas are more than passable (gutted that they've stopped doing the ludicrously spicy one that they used to make though), and things like filled pasta, good cheese, olives etc that I'd not be able to afford from a 'proper' supermarket are half the price and superb. 

And I quite like Sean Locke's take on it, treat a trip to Lidl as though you're shopping on holiday ;) "hmmmm, 'Hårrbokenscheil' - could be dried fish, could be wood adhesive". (slightly paraphrased)...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    An old area manager once said to me-
    "Retail, is detail!".
    Whatever the fuck that meant i dont know!:)
    Sounds like Reg Holdsworth.
  • IanSavage said:

And I quite like Sean Locke's take on it, treat a trip to Lidl as though you're shopping on holiday ;) "hmmmm, 'Hårrbokenscheil' - could be dried fish, could be wood adhesive". (slightly paraphrased)...
    Lost did get really shit towards the end

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ