The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Don't really remember much about the games due to being unexpectedly very drunk. What I do remember is the stress of watching both games. Felt properly sorry for Italy, and even though they won I overheard a couple of Scottish fans saying "Can somebody tell our boys that this is how it's done?" during the England-Ireland match.

It did show up one massive point, though - England v Ireland was a whole different class of rugby compared to Italy v Scotland. Perhaps not top-of-the-world rugby (although in similar circumstances, it's difficult to see how either side could've done much better), but the best game I've seen in a very long time.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It was a very good game, played by very good sides, world class though, not sure myself.
    England are building well, Ireland are as good as they are going to be, until they stop picking players on sentiment. 
    England need to sort out link between Farrell and backs, full back is nailed on with Mike Brown, but wingers are average, maybe Nowell can develope but May, not a chance. 
    Still got a solid pack, with some good players coming through as well. Lancaster doing a good job. 

Ireland to me have one of the best coaches, a good solid set piece but in today's game need some size in their backs. Bod and Darcy too slow, too small and too old now, sexton I feel is overrated, played well against Wales but was given an easy game with no pressure by welsh forwards.

Scotland need belief and a decent coach, they have some good big players, solid set piece generally once best players are actually selected. And in Hogg a great footballer and skillfull 15.

Italy, some good backs starting to play, but forwards are aging. Desperately need a goal kicker. 

France they have everything apart from temperament, can be devastating or abysmal, even in same game, no wonder coaches get stressed out and go mad.

Wales, until Roberts learns how to pass and players picked in rightful positions on form, we will always struggle against the big boys. 
    We seem to have plenty of skilful young players coming through, but our Achilles heel is and always has been our line out, why no successive coach can sort it out I don't know.
    Halfpenny is a winger, Lee Byrne is a fullback, Leigh Halfpenny seems to be the 15 solely on his kicking abilities, if they picked Hook or Biggar, we would not have to rely on Hafpenny's kicking. 
    Best players for right positions on form.
    Anyway that's my thoughts , feel free to dissect at will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5037
    The Fairy Godmother granted you your three wishes @Koneguitarist.  With a little 'help' from the referees.  How Joubert 'missed' the English hand in the scrum on the English 22 close to the end of the game mystifies me.  [Assuming that Sexton kicked the penalty that was not awarded]  Even the BBC commentary team spoke of it. Perhaps they were slightly embarrassed at some of the home town decisions.

What now?  Four teams with the same number of points.  Seems to fall between Wales/England, France or Ireland for the championship. Good for TV.  Tough on supporters.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    edited February 2014

rocker, you timesharing blinkers with kone? Or are yours them super doopper £10k a meter that no one else can tell the difference from normal blinkers?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    VimFuego said:

rocker, you timesharing blinkers with kone? Or are yours them super doopper £10k a meter that no one else can tell the difference from normal blinkers?

ha ha ha!!!!! :D

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Rocker said:
    The Fairy Godmother granted you your three wishes @Koneguitarist.  With a little 'help' from the referees.  How Joubert 'missed' the English hand in the scrum on the English 22 close to the end of the game mystifies me.  [Assuming that Sexton kicked the penalty that was not awarded]  Even the BBC commentary team spoke of it. Perhaps they were slightly embarrassed at some of the home town decisions.

What now?  Four teams with the same number of points.  Seems to fall between Wales/England, France or Ireland for the championship. Good for TV.  Tough on supporters.

We can all complain about single things the ref missed, but its a fast game and touch judges must stand up and be counted.

My gripe with refs is not that they miss something they are human (just) but that often they are not consistent to the laws, and some refs bottle the big decisions. I did think Ireland got away with a lot at the tackle area, they lie on top of player, players such as Mahoney and Best who are not on their feet competing for ball, the head high tackle on May by Mahoney just as he is going for try at 6mins in was missed etc etc , small things but all add up.

So right team won IMHO. same with Scotland, Wales did seem to be very lucky at scrum time against France, but they weren't against Italy, all evens up in long run, sometimes.

VimFuego, did you actually watch the games ?

I did, it was good. Almost as much fun as winding you up.

• Games were very good, but whatever gets you off.

:-\"

just remember my friend, you're the agent of your own downfall ;)

ha ha ha!!!! Fret, your post looks like you lost most of it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Am I the only one who finds it difficult to post here from my iPad.  At least with Windows the post more or less looks like what I expect. Apple is often spoken about as being superior.  Possibly so for some activities but give me flaky Windows any day.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:

Swings and roundabouts, @Rocker. Ireland get/got away with their fair share too. It's the nature of the game. Take the blinkers off ;-)
    Use Your Brian
    Guys, what is the story about this recent fashion of putting an '@' sign in front of the username.  For example @Rocker.  No need to open a new thread about this.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited February 2014
    Swings and roundabouts, @Rocker. Ireland get/got away with their fair share too. It's the nature of the game. Take the blinkers off ;-)
    It is OK for me to wear blinkers @Hungrymark.  The problem is when the referee wears them :)

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited February 2014
    you may want some sugar with them grapes, helps them taste a little less sour

• Rocker said:
    Guys, what is the story about this recent fashion of putting an '@' sign in front of the username.  For example @Rocker.  No need to open a new thread about this.
    It gives you a notification that you've been called on something ;-)

England fans could similarly go on about the poor refereeing - they missed out too. Like I say, swings and roundabouts. Get over it and move on, there's a good chap.
    Use Your Brian
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Gulliver said:
    I thought England did very well, but am disappointed in May, love him playing for Gloucester but he spends too much time running but not going anyway. 
    YES!! I thought I was the only one who found May's style of play a bit daft!!  He makes some good plays - but there are other wingers who aren't so wasteful with their possession. Ashton isn't my favourite winger, but he's at least running in the right direction most of the time, not criss-crossing the pitch every time he gets the ball...

I agree he was a bit mincey on Saturday, but defensively he couldn't be faulted, IMO. He was constantly involved and made some key tackles - sexy kick towards the end of game too. Brown was absolutely exceptional and Danny Care probably played his best game in an England shirt. Good job I was already exhausted after cycling 50km before the game, otherwise, it would have been moth difficult to watch!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Rocker said:
    Am I the only one who finds it difficult to post here from my iPad. 
    not at all, I find it incredibly difficult,  it must be over 200 miles away from me for a start
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    Ireland are as good as they are going to be, until they stop picking players on sentiment. 

Ireland to me have one of the best coaches, a good solid set piece but in today's game need some size in their backs. Bod and Darcy too slow, too small and too old now, sexton I feel is overrated, played well against Wales but was given an easy game with no pressure by welsh forwards.
    I dunno, that bit reads like your dislike for BOD is clouding your judgement:

BOD 50 yards, 1 offload, 1 clean break, 4 defenders beaten
    Darcy 20 yards, Zero, Zero, 2 defenders beaten
    Burrell 39 yard,. Zero, Zero 2 Defenders beaten
    Can't recall the figures for 36 but they weren't as good as Burrell

The players who will probably end up at 13 for Ireland are either coming back from Injury (Fitzgerald), still a bit inexperienced (Henshaw) or are not yet Irish qualified (Payne). We have D'arcys repalcement in Marshall. The stats above prove that despite what you think Kone, BOD is still well capable of performing at this level. He's got two more games in green, then he'll be gone and then you'll have peace ...
    ;)

At the end of the day it was a 3 point game. Sexton had a rare enough bad outing, and Mike brown is in sensational form. Both teams have important players to come back from injury and both are still in the hunt for the Championship. Ireland have turned losing in Paris into a fine art, but their last two 6Nations meetings have ended in draws so you never know. You might have a situation where all Ireland have to do is win in Paris to win the competition, but France may have to win to save PSAs job. It'll be interesting, and although England still have to get past Wales, that win will give them great belife.

It's in Irelands hands but I'm sorry, I refuse to predict a win in Paris. England will do a Wales, lose the first game but win the rest and take home the title.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.

agree, it wasn't really a game for centres to shine, but BOD made that one spectacular break that put the wind up everyone in a white shirt (and I think caught his own team on the hop as well). Sexton is still the best all round 10 in the north but he had an off day, maybe the pressure got to him a bit, but he was still the best 10 on the park that day.

I still think Ireland have the best run to the title, I can see them winning by 10 at least in Paris, whoever wins between Wales and England it will be a tight score. I can't see anyone over taking Irelands point diff, those big early wins are like money in the bank.