Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited February 2014
    tbm said:
    BOD 50 yards, 1 offload, 1 clean break, 4 defenders beaten

you forgot the more recent one for him

BOD - goes off injured when they look like they cant win

;)

seriously,  yeah he did well - but as Kone was trying to point out - time to start building a team that doesnt rely on him - he wont be around for RWC 2015
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbm said:
    Ireland are as good as they are going to be, until they stop picking players on sentiment. 

Ireland to me have one of the best coaches, a good solid set piece but in today's game need some size in their backs. Bod and Darcy too slow, too small and too old now, sexton I feel is overrated, played well against Wales but was given an easy game with no pressure by welsh forwards.
    I dunno, that bit reads like your dislike for BOD is clouding your judgement:

BOD 50 yards, 1 offload, 1 clean break, 4 defenders beaten
    Darcy 20 yards, Zero, Zero, 2 defenders beaten
    Burrell 39 yard,. Zero, Zero 2 Defenders beaten
    Can't recall the figures for 36 but they weren't as good as Burrell

The players who will probably end up at 13 for Ireland are either coming back from Injury (Fitzgerald), still a bit inexperienced (Henshaw) or are not yet Irish qualified (Payne). We have D'arcys repalcement in Marshall. The stats above prove that despite what you think Kone, BOD is still well capable of performing at this level. He's got two more games in green, then he'll be gone and then you'll have peace ...
    ;)

At the end of the day it was a 3 point game. Sexton had a rare enough bad outing, and Mike brown is in sensational form. Both teams have important players to come back from injury and both are still in the hunt for the Championship. Ireland have turned losing in Paris into a fine art, but their last two 6Nations meetings have ended in draws so you never know. You might have a situation where all Ireland have to do is win in Paris to win the competition, but France may have to win to save PSAs job. It'll be interesting, and although England still have to get past Wales, that win will give them great belife.

It's in Irelands hands but I'm sorry, I refuse to predict a win in Paris. England will do a Wales, lose the first game but win the rest and take home the title.

Stats only tell some of the story, for instance Ireland had more possession and territory than England, yet only made 3 line breaks compared to England's 5, yet in most aspects an incredibly even game.
    Sexton was not bad but was put under pressure by the English, so did not look as good as he did against Wales, as they did not turn up.
    The point I am making is that the guys coming in to replace Bod and Darcy, are not getting experience, how are they gonna get ready for next year when Bod retires at end of this year. 

RWC 15 is almost on us, this year England wants to beat Wales so bad, otherwise if they don't and with home advantage next year for us we could be playing in our pool having beaten them 5 times on the trot, so England have to go all out this year. The pressure is on them more than us.

It was a 3 point game, which could have gone either way, like the NZ match, these are the games where self belief is built on winning the close matches, not thrashing a poor team like Wales 

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:

agree, it wasn't really a game for centres to shine, but BOD made that one spectacular break that put the wind up everyone in a white shirt (and I think caught his own team on the hop as well). Sexton is still the best all round 10 in the north but he had an off day, maybe the pressure got to him a bit, but he was still the best 10 on the park that day.

I still think Ireland have the best run to the title, I can see them winning by 10 at least in Paris, whoever wins between Wales and England it will be a tight score. I can't see anyone over taking Irelands point diff, those big early wins are like money in the bank.

Exactly he made one break, years ago it would have been more and he would have scored.
    I feel he should have been brought on as an impact player to steady team.
    Totally agree with Ireland's points difference, If Ireland win their remaining games as well as France, England Or Wales, they should still win championship. 
    If France beat Ireland then it will be down to Wales or England to stop them. 
    Apparently England are the bookies faves to win the championship outright ?
    :-/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Billy's out for the rest of the 6N

Arse.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Crap. That really smarts.
    <space for hire>
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    edited February 2014
    fortunately big ben seems to have discovered a vein of form just in time, so I'm less bothered about losing billy than I am our issues in the front row. Be interesting to see who they draft in, I'd like to see Johnson of Exeter given a run, he's a good all round back rower, useful man to have on the bench. We actually have a number of good back row options open to chose from.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Sad news for England, I think Faletau of Wales was looking forward to playing his cousins.

Ben Morgan is playing well from bench, not sure if he has the stamina for a full game, not playing as much for Gloucester either, so could be a weak link Wales can exploit.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Do we know who's now behind Morgan in terms of depth? 

Morgan's form appears to be on the rise and he's got a great motor, but as you say, I don't think he's got the stamina for 80 minutes. 

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Oh, I shouldn't have skimmed - it appears a decision hasn't been made yet. 
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585

Apparently England are the bookies faves to win the championship outright ?
    :-/
    Yeah, that'll be down to Irelands proven ability to go to Paris and lose, regardless of form.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    there's a number of solid alternatives out there; Ewers of Exeter, wosshis face of Leicester (crane?) or thingy of Northamton all spring to mind, as well as Tom Johnson, it all kinda depends on what Lancaster wants. I suspect they will have to pick someone who's at least trained with the elite squad, not sure who's been in that though. Gassage probably has the inside scoop, don't think he's been seen since Saturday, so he may still be in Twickers hospitality.

Andy Ripley
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Sam Dickinson has been playing pretty well for the Saints and the Saxons, but (heresy from a Saints fan!) I'm not yet convinced he's ready for a proper white shirt.

He's big and tough etc... but to me he never seems to be urgent about anything.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• tbmtbm Frets: 585
    France beat England beat Ireland beat Wales beat France.

Home team advantage says England will win this.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • Ok predictions now for 4th round matches: For me, what I think (and hope) will be results

England Wales   Wales, by 7

Ireland Italy  Ireland by 5

Scotland France  Scotland by 3

• England by 3
    Ireland by 20
    France by 12
    Use Your Brian
    pretty much what mark said, not sure about France, the way they're playing I just can't predict how they'll play.

so,  Brown recalled to Scotchland.   Tuilagi and Yarde in English squad
  • Gonna be some interesting selection dilemmas for Gatland and co, with Jon Davies and  Alun Wynn Jones back. I would put Jon Davies in team, but Hold AWJ on bench to come on as and impact player.
    Jake Ball did well on his debut, and seemed a better option in line out, may be with Jake Ball going hard at them for 55-60 mins then putting AWJ on to help close out game, could be a good thing.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    @koneguitarist @bertie

You'll enjoy this week's piece. Lots of Martyn Williams and Drico...

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_9196751,00.html

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.