The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Sorry TBM I know it sounds like a whinge, but Wales have had more than their share of bad reffing decisions over the years and it's a pet hate.
    Last year we had Poite ref us against Ireland, for first half, he slaughtered Wales at every opportunity, then in 2nd half, he slaughtered Ireland, is that being able to read ref, or ref influencing game unduly?
    England against NZ a few years ago at Twickenham, Allan Rolland, hammered England yet NZ was allowed to kill the ball at every opportunity . 
    Interpret the rules is one thing but to disregard them for a flowing game is just as wrong.

I only hope game today is decided by better team not on a refs whim !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27141
    tbm said:
     Now, just win in Paris for the second time in 42 years and the championship is in the bag!
    You're assuming that England don't put 70+ points over Wales and Italy.

Oh, c'mon. It could happen :D
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    Jaysus Priestland had a shocker.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15908
    well, frankly I'm disappointed, we could've easily put another 20 or so past Wales.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited March 2014
    VimFuego said:
    well, frankly I'm disappointed, we could've easily put another 20 or so past Wales.
    yes but dont forget they bought the ref for the 1st half.   They must be bitterly disappointed wasting all that money.

The bias was embarrassingly blatant, obviously  North, Cuthbert and H'appeny are allowed to hold on to the ball as long as they please on the ground

I dread to think what "Moan"guitarist will have to say  ;)   

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Not happy about having to cheer for the CESMs next weekend, but needs must.

Quality performance, but as Vim said, disappointing we didn't stick another 20 points on them.
    joneve said:
    Not happy about having to cheer for the CESMs next weekend, but needs must.

Quality performance, but as Vim said, disappointing we didn't stick another 20 points on them.
    Absolutely. I was really quite worried about this game, but England played them off the park - I can't think of a single area where Wales had the advantage.
    <space for hire>
    mind you, this win does put me in the very odd position of of wanting France to win. Not sure I've wanted them to win at anything, ever. Not even world wars.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    joneve said:
    Not happy about having to cheer for the CESMs next weekend, 

oooh I am  -    have much more affiliation to them than the "potato eating wind farm haters"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    mind you, this win does put me in the very odd position of of wanting France to win. Not sure I've wanted them to win at anything, ever. Not even world wars.
    It's a weird one this year. So far, I've been cheering for England (obviously), Italy, Scotland and France. I'll confess to being a little confused at this point.
    <space for hire>
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    I can't think of a single area where Wales had the advantage.
    The anthem and the colour of the shirts!.
    edited March 2014
    "potato eating wind farm haters" - haha!

Cheer for the CESMs all ye want. They probably won't need the extra support. The French give us the willies big time. I fear BODs final appearance in green will be a deflating one.

At least the team who wins it will be deserving. England have been playing smart rugby the whole tournament.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5041
    Wales looked bad today, no cohesion or support for the ball carrier. No challenges on the English players after Welsh kick offs. England always looked the winner of the game.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker;182073" said:
    Wales looked bad today, no cohesion or support for the ball carrier. No challenges on the English players after Welsh kick offs. England always looked the winner of the game.
    Yeah, anytime they did get good ball someone knocked on. I feel for the Welsh fan watching that. That's what it's been like watching Ireland in the DK era.

hywelg said:
    I can't think of a single area where Wales had the advantage.
    The anthem and the colour of the shirts!.
    :D

It's the first game in a long time where England looked dangerous no matter who had the ball. They also seem to have finally realised that the way to beat a team is to stop them getting hold of the ball.

I think England may have a chance at the title - if they play like that against Italy, they could well put a cricket score up. Then all it needs is for Italy v France to be a close one (which seems to be France's approach this year)...
    <space for hire>
    edited March 2014

it does set up an interesting scenario, if England put 50+ past Italy (and we have struggled before to even get a win, so it's a big IF) then Ireland will not only be watching the game but also the score board. Puts extra pressure on what will already be a cauldron.

Mind you, the other interesting scenario; we beat Italy by 3 and france suddenly remember how to play truly wonderful rugby like they used to and win by 40. Then the worst team in the championship take the title.

• well?

where do I start?

The best team won on the day, fair and square. no quibbles from me.

Wales biggest issues, gats failing to change his favourites for the form players. Paul James and Dan Biggar should have started, and when he finally did put Paul James on he demolished the English scrum, then soon as we got going he took off Adam Jones and put a guy who is 3rd choice at his region !
    England looking good, still some question marks over their back play, but by the time of next years RWC should be fine !

Peaking at the right time, as opposed to Wales peaking between RWC.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Just got back .. sun, beer, great rugby and more beer ... I had a grandstand view of both England tries ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I thought this was quite funny. Dunno if it has been posted

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151917700455443

It's a bit silly to say it's anti-English. It was probably made by the English for the English and it plays to the English self-superiority. It doesn't matter if the other nations think badly of us as long as they are thinking about us.