The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16477
    that was one of the most bizarre games of professional rugby I think I've ever seen. Somewhat reminiscent of the 70's, when occasionally a game of rugby would interrupt the fighting.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just watched some of the decisions and Gloucester can feel a little hard done by, but they certainly did not help themselves.
    Both red cards deserved, and certainly the yellow for driving through lifters support, but the rolling maul that Bath employed was the clearest truck and trailer, and yet a penalty try was given for it!
    Hooper was hanging onto players shorts by one hand not bound in any way. 
    Tavis Knoyle was always a nasty little prick, but was surprised to see Abendon come in swinging !
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25574
    Saints are turning a little mid season wobble into a problem.

The 2nd half fight back against the Sarries was great, but it's like they've forgotten how to play!

At this rate we'll be choking more than the All Blacks did.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16477

as a neutral with a broadly strong liking for saints and a bit of an irrational dislike for sarries I was really frustrated with saints. Poor tactical kicking, playing too much rugby in non scoring parts of the park and a general lethargy in getting to the breakdown (I saw several incidents when the saints pack were jogging to a breakdown the in opposition half, needless to say the ball either got turned over or the player got pinged for holding on. They just seemed to lack the urgency and looked tired. I dunno, maybe they need a stronger squad so they can give players a break. This certainly wasn't the saints of the front end of the season, they're only saving grace is they have an easier run in compared to the tigers, so they should secure a home play off. But someone needs to light a fire under them or they won't progress.

A positive from England's POV, Farrel was looking really sharp.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• tbmtbm Frets: 586
    Jaysus, Sarries making mince meat of Clermont. Nigel Owens isn't having the best game though. That penalty try was preposterously harsh. The romantic in me gives Munster a chance tomorrow, but realistically it'll be a Toulon/Sarries final.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • Hell of a game by Sarries yesterday, awesome performance. Will they be able to do it again in final? Today's game looks hard work especially with Barnes turning it into a penalty contest.
    Makes for an interesting final for a neutral. Tulon is a rugby mad town, and they're fans are fantastically passionate. Yes they've put together a massively expensive side, but the money to do it has been provided by a local boy done good. Sarries seem to be the Millwall of English rugby. They really performed yesterday, but their HEC group contained Zebre and Connaught, the they squeezed past a 14 man Ulster. At the same time they do seem the only team around that have a snowballs chance of physically beasting Tulon. Thought Munster did very well today, and had they been not so careless with first half pens could be Cardiff bound in a few weeks. They really rattled Tulon. I'd say the WRU are miffed. Will Sarries and Tulon fans fill the millennium stadium?

• Well you gotta admit, Saracens really took Clermont apart, 7tries to nil! Awesome performance even Ashton was good. I expect the Millenium stadium will be packed due to all Bods supporters who expected to see him there ! :-\" ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ye gods. What a game.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    End of an era. JPW retires. Legend. Wonderful man too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

An impossible man to dislike. He should have more trophys.

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4245
    Almost as overated as Bod, I will get my coat and leave now! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I had the honour of a day's fishing in Christchurch at the Royal Fishery with Richard Hill on Weds. We did this piece together.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9319606,00.html

In other news, Dan Cole is struggling greatly. He may not make it on a long term basis.

Ah crap. There's been a lot of that around. Cole is a class act. Rumours of Stephen Ferris's ankle getting the better of him abound this week too.

Well that was a good game, well deserved win for Northampton, but George Ford lost the plot, and was not removed when new impetus was needed.
    edited May 2014
    Predictions for today? Honestly not great choice for for a neutral. Maybe wanting Jonny Whatshisname to sign off with a few trophies might swing it Tulons way. 

Sarries are not the most loved team and Nigel Wrays comments about the "unfairness" of the Heineken Cup left a bad taste in the mouths of many who love this tournament. They lost twice to Toulouse and had a group with Connaght and Zebre in it. They scaped past a 14 man Ulster and the met Clermont on the day of their annual choke to take nothing away from their pretty great performance that day. 

Thing is though, I think Sarries are the only team who can beast Tulon physically and if Farrell or Goode can take their 3 pointers and the pack stop the nice Armitage from making hay at breakdown time - Burger will be key - they've a great shout. Fail to nullify that threat though, and dickhead Armitage et al will make hay. Munster nearly did it, do Sarries have heart? Dunno.

I would like to see Saracens do it, as it's a blow against money buys the HCup mentality of the French. Though I think Toulon are not as good as some think. Saracens by 6.
    As long as it is the hardest most physical, most exhausting game the Sarries ever have, then I don't care who wins!

Looks like a decent SH game on at the moment, think they are calling it the Heinekin cup.