The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24653
    Lydiate is out for the season. ACL damage.

EJ has bought Mako and Sinkler back in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
    Really feel for Lydiate, always liked him, and for the 9 mi utes he was on Wales seemed in control

• See POM got away with a 3 match ban. Lenient to say the least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    See POM got away with a 3 match ban. Lenient to say the least. 
    Yeah, was quite surprised it wasn't longer. His record is not good. He got sent off earlier this season for something similar. 

We've better back row options to be honest. When POM is good, he's great. But he can be completely anonymous in games too. Hopefully Doris is fit for the weekend. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30949
    edited February 2021
    Expert Witness: Martin Corry dissects England's issues | Planet Rugby

Had a little catch up with an English great on all things Six Nations last night.

These are Cozza's thoughts, not mine - he rarely gives interviews and I wanted to represent his words without spin.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited February 2021
    Neill said:
    sev112 said:
    But I don’t see why persistent offences should be penalised,  there is a remedy and that is a penalty which gives distance and possession.   If persistent offences prevent a score, then YC is a valid remedy, but I don’t see why when they are the other end of the pitch and involve not rolling away when held in, a little bit of offside and a side entry.  Occurs to me the ref was getting power hungry.  

And I disagree that Barnes didn’t se it, he did and immediately shouted that it was legal.  

But anyone, I’ll shut up now.  

I agree with you, and IIRC when Billy V was carded the ref made some reference to England "having been warned" or something like that.  I've never seen this done for persistent offending except when it was near the try line.  I'm now wondering why the experts on ITV didn't pick up on it.

I wonder what EJ will do next, he can hardly drop Farrell, as Farrell needs game time, only thing I think he will do is bolster front row and move Farrell out to 12 with Ford on at 10. 

I have to say that Brace was, yet again, utterly dreadful. He is nowhere near test match quality and should not be reffing at this level.

Just five that spring to mind:

1- Curry pinged for in at side in first ten- there was no ruck formed as no Scots player on feet. So no offside line or gate.
    2- The TMO intervention Genge no arms- utterly ludicrous decision- clear attempt made. Nigel Owens actually has gone public criticising this one. An absolute shocker from TMO considering it was a check check call.
    3. Two scrum pens in 1st half- If Sutherland puts his arm or hand on floor (which he did in both cases) the first offence is that.
    4- Maro pinged for taking Gray out- Gray actually grabs Maro's arm and pulls him down, not the other way around, as highlighted by the pundits.

Anyway, all micro incidents and England had plenty of chances to sort things, but 3 of those where leading up to the BV yellow.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I heard they gave Billy a YC so he could have a rest.  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyway, sod all that, it's at this time of year that I notice most the lack of a true UK-wide news source. Even my beloved Guardian can't quite bring itself to rise to the occasion.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24653
    Anyway, sod all that, it's at this time of year that I notice most the lack of a true UK-wide news source. Even my beloved Guardian can't quite bring itself to rise to the occasion.
    It would take them too long to spell check that much work.
  • Anyway, sod all that, it's at this time of year that I notice most the lack of a true UK-wide news source. Even my beloved Guardian can't quite bring itself to rise to the occasion.
    It would take them too long to spell check that much work.
    I mean only for sport. Sport IS the news, right?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Gassage said:
    Neill said:
    sev112 said:
    But I don’t see why persistent offences should be penalised,  there is a remedy and that is a penalty which gives distance and possession.   If persistent offences prevent a score, then YC is a valid remedy, but I don’t see why when they are the other end of the pitch and involve not rolling away when held in, a little bit of offside and a side entry.  Occurs to me the ref was getting power hungry.  

And I disagree that Barnes didn’t se it, he did and immediately shouted that it was legal.  

But anyone, I’ll shut up now.  

I agree with you, and IIRC when Billy V was carded the ref made some reference to England "having been warned" or something like that.  I've never seen this done for persistent offending except when it was near the try line.  I'm now wondering why the experts on ITV didn't pick up on it.

I wonder what EJ will do next, he can hardly drop Farrell, as Farrell needs game time, only thing I think he will do is bolster front row and move Farrell out to 12 with Ford on at 10. 

I have to say that Brace was, yet again, utterly dreadful. He is nowhere near test match quality and should not be reffing at this level.

Just five that spring to mind:

1- Curry pinged for in at side in first ten- there was no ruck formed as no Scots player on feet. So no offside line or gate.
    2- The TMO intervention Genge no arms- utterly ludicrous decision- clear attempt made. Nigel Owens actually has gone public criticising this one. An absolute shocker from TMO considering it was a check check call.
    3. Two scrum pens in 1st half- If Sutherland puts his arm or hand on floor (which he did in both cases) the first offence is that.
    4- Maro pinged for taking Gray out- Gray actually grabs Maro's arm and pulls him down, not the other way around, as highlighted by the pundits.

Anyway, all micro incidents and England had plenty of chances to sort things, but 3 of those where leading up to the BV yellow.
    @Gassage Do you think Ford should start at 10 and move Farrell to 12?
  • Not sure Pivac is picking his team, more like anyone available? 
  • Looks like North out due to eye injury?
    Latest rumours seem to be Watkin and Tompkins in midfield. 

@Gassage Do you think Ford should start at 10 and move Farrell to 12?
    Taff, If Manu fit, yes. If not, not so sure. I am really undecided.

• I wonder what EJ will do next, he can hardly drop Farrell, as Farrell needs game time, only thing I think he will do is bolster front row and move Farrell out to 12 with Ford on at 10. 
    Replaced whole front row, thought Jamie George would have been safe.
    As expected Ford in and Farrell out to 12. 
  • Wales with a whole lot to do with, Lydiate, Tomos Williams, Hallam Amos, George North, and now Josh Navidi out plus his replacement, Josh McCleod also injured in training. 
    Beginning to look like a war zone for Wales replacements. 
    With an average scrum, misfiring line out, and players out of position, can’t see us winning at Murrayfield. Keep it close and hopefully our back three can score some points. 
    More Weird and wacky ideas to improve rugby :

each of the positions has a height and weight restriction, so we go back to skinny wingers, 5ft 7 scrum halves,  etc and the only people allowed to be taller than 6ft 2 are lock forwards and No 8s

also a BMI and weight limit for the front row.

:)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Another rule to change, we see this over and over,  attacking player chasing a kick jumps into a stationery defending player.  If the defender puts his arms out he is YC , if he stands still he is penalised.

this rule needs review, through Autumn games there were a few attackers jumping INTO defenders and getting oenalities
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1963
    I wait all day to watch a good six nations match up and then a red card ruins the competition. So frustrating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3040
    edited February 2021
    Schnozz said:
    I wait all day to watch a good six nations match up and then a red card ruins the competition. So frustrating.
    It’s still tight as hell though, still a contest