The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TJT1979 said:

Farrell did ok. Not great but OK was enough today
    Smith did ok out of position

Not convinced on either of those.

Farrell was taking stupid risks for quite a bit of the game, and trying to run lines that he's just not fast enough for instead of giving it to players who are.

Smith showed himself to be a major target at full-back, because he's just not big enough for the back three, especially against a team full of huge, fast runners like Fiji. It's totally not his fault, it's just that he should be playing fly-half. He might do OK there against France, but if SA win tonight then we need a proper full-back who can be a reliable last line of defence.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25574
    How did Faz get MoM?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12887
    Assuming we don’t get there I’d like to see a France/all black final.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    munckee said:
    Assuming we don’t get there I’d like to see a France/all black final.  

Yes that would be a good game - and I'd be able to relax and enjoy watching it! 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    I'd prefer SA v NZ - don't want France to win 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 203
    Yep, definitely rooting for France today. 

TJT1979 said:

Farrell did ok. Not great but OK was enough today
    Smith did ok out of position

Not convinced on either of those.

Farrell was taking stupid risks for quite a bit of the game, and trying to run lines that he's just not fast enough for instead of giving it to players who are.

Smith showed himself to be a major target at full-back, because he's just not big enough for the back three, especially against a team full of huge, fast runners like Fiji. It's totally not his fault, it's just that he should be playing fly-half. He might do OK there against France, but if SA win tonight then we need a proper full-back who can be a reliable last line of defence.
    Absolutely agree re: Smith. He’s not a fullback snd sny decent kicking team will exploit that. A bit like Daly at fullback IMO. 

Farrell wasn’t great (and I wouldn’t have him above Ford or Smith to be honest), but to me he looked pretty solid on the whole. 

I really hope Eng have a real restructuring after this tournament. Get the young players in, give them time to find their feet. Accept some bad results/teething problems on the way.  
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    Alez Les Bleus. Failing that, NZ. I really want. Northern hemisphere winner but I’ll take NZ over the Boks. 

Whoever comes our if the quarter tonight might be battered and bruised. England don’t look great if I’m honest, but they’re improving. And I remember 2007. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MaxA867MaxA867 Frets: 70
    Gutted for Fiji! But just not disciplined enough, and their kicking game and work under the high ball are not quite Tier 1 level. Would love to see them incorporated into the Rugby Championship though. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12887
    Yeah but just imagine seeing that little grinning blonde half pint if SA beat us. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Winner - Hopefully England! but if not I'm happy with anyone but SA
  • That from a neutral point of view was awful reffing. Sorry but how did Farrell and Curry get away without yellow cards? Very inconsistent, one sided, and even the assistant refs were confused by his calls. Shocking, possibly the worst I have seen from a French ref, and there have been some stinkers! 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    The same way that 2 separate punches /slaps to the face were ignored by the ref by the Fijians

thats not “handbags” - that is seriously not allowed.  
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    That from a neutral point of view was awful reffing. Sorry but how did Farrell and Curry get away without yellow cards? Very inconsistent, one sided, and even the assistant refs were confused by his calls. Shocking, possibly the worst I have seen from a French ref, and there have been some stinkers! 
    I thought Curry was lucky but not Farrell - the ball was never carrying to the other player and in the alternate timeline where it was there was a defender back. I was surprised the assistant intervened as the ref had already said as much clearly. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    That from a neutral point of view was awful reffing. Sorry but how did Farrell and Curry get away without yellow cards? Very inconsistent, one sided, and even the assistant refs were confused by his calls. Shocking, possibly the worst I have seen from a French ref, and there have been some stinkers! 
    I thought Curry was lucky but not Farrell - the ball was never carrying to the other player and in the alternate timeline where it was there was a defender back. I was surprised the assistant intervened as the ref had already said as much clearly. 
    Once Farrell is out of picture as offender, Fiji would have stood a good chance of getting over gainline with a penalty coming, who knows what could have happened, either wayYellow cards have generally been given for deliberate knock on. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16477
    anyone but SA. They are playing a horrible brand of rugby right now, just throwing vast great lumps of steroid enhanced meat at the opposition until they capitulate. It's the antithesis of what most of us want to see, flowing running rugby. Look the most of the 1/4 finals, all the teams at one point or another produced some skillful play, even if it didn't lead to a try. It's thrilling to watch. SA are just boring IMO (and the fans are the worst in the world).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    anyone but SA. They are playing a horrible brand of rugby right now, just throwing vast great lumps of steroid enhanced meat at the opposition until they capitulate. It's the antithesis of what most of us want to see, flowing running rugby. Look the most of the 1/4 finals, all the teams at one point or another produced some skillful play, even if it didn't lead to a try. It's thrilling to watch. SA are just boring IMO (and the fans are the worst in the world).
    Reallly? I think with the new fly half they are playing wider than they ever have.
    Yeah I actually think SA are playing pretty expansive rugby at the moment… much more than 4 years ago. 

It’s the arrogance which I can’t stand. Rassie’s BS witg the Lions tour, that lippy gobshite Faf de Klerk. Etzebeth’s continual dirty play, etc etc. 

Anybody but SA!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11684
    I think Farrell avoided a yellow for the deliberate knock-on because the officials were momentarily stunned that a potential card was possible and he hadn't smashed into an opponent illegally. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11684
    edited October 2023
    Great start by France.

EDIT: And the Boks.

Looks like it's going to be another cracker.