The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Wow.

I'm not just worried that it's going to be a cricket score next week, I'm actually worried for the safety of England's players.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    That conversion block down won the game. Mad! 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    tbm said:
    That conversion block down won the game. Mad! 
    I hadn’t even thought of that. True! Kolbe had some great contributions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25570
    Anyone know any Bulgarians with a spare umbrella who can get near Faz before next week?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Last nights game NZ v Ire and tonight SA v Fra were both worthy of a semi final or indeed a final - I suspect neither semi final will sadly match the 1/4’s

Sad that someone had to lose tonight- I could have watched another 30 mins or indeed a second leg

credit to both teams - a pleasure to watch 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2845
    Quarter finals were always likely to be highlights because of the lopsided draw. Have a sneaking suspicion that semis won't be quite as straightforward for NZ and SA. Reckon Eng could make the final.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    ewal said:
    Quarter finals were always likely to be highlights because of the lopsided draw. Have a sneaking suspicion that semis won't be quite as straightforward for NZ and SA. Reckon Eng could make the final.

Don't think our scrum is good enough.  We will give up too many scrum penalties.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    edited October 2023
    QFs are always the highlights every year because of the number of good teams and because the players aren’t exhausted yet.
    look back through all WCs and see the QFs that don’t go to the apparent form book.

Knock out games bring out pressures that you just don’t get in series and 6Ns

but we are not going to give world cups to people like,we do the biscuit world champs where people vote for who should win.
    if you’re e.g. Ireland and you can’t beat NZ then you can’t call yourself world champions whether you play them in the QF or the final, same with France and SAf

• crunchman said:
    ewal said:

Don't think our scrum is good enough.  We will give up too many scrum penalties.
    And yet, we seem to have that weird habit of doing just enough to win even though it never looked like we really should.

I mean, I'm not really a believer - I don't think we'll win, but I wouldn't bet against it either.
    <space for hire>
    SA players certainly will be getting tired mentally at least, having played two epics against Ireland and France to get to semi. One of the reasons I think Eng have a good chance next week.
    crunchman said:
    ewal said:

And yet, we seem to have that weird habit of doing just enough to win even though it never looked like we really should.

I mean, I'm not really a believer - I don't think we'll win, but I wouldn't bet against it either.
    A kicking game both for field position and to beat the blitz. It's there for the taking.
  • crunchman said:
    Everything Etzebeth does is thuggery.  He's one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen.
    Hard, uncompromising, yes definitely.
    thuggery no, one of those players everyone wants on their team. Intelligence, skilful, size, speed, Guy has it all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    crunchman said:
    Everything Etzebeth does is thuggery.  He's one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen.
    Hard, uncompromising, yes definitely.
    thuggery no, one of those players everyone wants on their team. Intelligence, skilful, size, speed, Guy has it all. 
    This. Farrell is a smug, sneering thug, Etzebeth is quite the opposite. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2778
    He’s a master at tiptoeing around the threshold of foul play. He’d be on anyone’s first XV
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    We should congratulate World Rugby for facilitating a competition where the second tier countries have the opportunity to play and succeed with the Tier 1 players.

Having  2 Tier 2 teams into the semi finals is a great result for their commitment to engaging the lesser nations in this celebration of rugby excellence ;) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I give England a way better shout then the Pumas. If the pack fronts up and keeps it tight, you really never know. The Boks have a steely look about them though. I'll be watching next week with my English neighbour. 

I think Kriels kick through was the moment of the game for last night. To produce that skill in that moment was class. 

Interestly, I didn't realise that the draw being done so far out was at Frances request, so they could lock logistics down. 

Doh!

• tbm said:
    I give England a way better shout then the Pumas. If the pack fronts up and keeps it tight, you really never know. The Boks have a steely look about them though. I'll be watching next week with my English neighbour. 

I think Kriels kick through was the moment of the game for last night. To produce that skill in that moment was class. 

Interestly, I didn't realise that the draw being done so far out was at Frances request, so they could lock logistics down. 

Doh!
    The main problem we'll have is that we do pretty much have a counter for everything the Boks have got, except the ludicrous speed of their wingers. As soon as it turns into a race, it's a try - we all know Arundell's not going to be playing, and he's really the only one we've got with any hope of catching them.
    <space for hire>
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    edited October 2023
    tbm said:

Doh!
    The main problem we'll have is that we do pretty much have a counter for everything the Boks have got, except the ludicrous speed of their wingers. As soon as it turns into a race, it's a try - we all know Arundell's not going to be playing, and he's really the only one we've got with any hope of catching them.
    Agree with that - I think the only thing England have to try and deal with that is May's and Stewards' defensive nouse positionally. I'd pick those 2 
    Red ones are better. 
    Yeah, if it opens up England will get minced. If it doesn't though...   Like those first two Boks tries were against the run of play and were the result of them jumping on opportunities the French gave them. Just don't give them the chances and slow down the breakdown and don't give away penalties and  take you opportunities and score some tries. Easy. 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    tbm said:
    Yeah, if it opens up England will get minced. If it doesn't though...   Like those first two Boks tries were against the run of play and were the result of them jumping on opportunities the French gave them. Just don't give them the chances and slow down the breakdown and don't give away penalties and  take you opportunities and score some tries. Easy. 
    I agree. "Let's keep it turgid, guys" is probably England's mantra before every game, but to be fair they are good at bogging down good opposition.