The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2632
    Cranky said:
    Got out for my first ride of the season, was going to share a couple pics but I have no way of doing so.  Image URLs don’t show and I don’t have an option to upload an image in either the mobile or desktop version of the site.
    Paste the image Url into the drop down above the text box, (a rectangle with a folded corner), and press SPACE.
    That should work. It'd be good to see your pics. 
    What if I just wanna upload a pic from my phone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3128
    edited April 2023
    Cranky said:
    Cranky said:
    Got out for my first ride of the season, was going to share a couple pics but I have no way of doing so.  Image URLs don’t show and I don’t have an option to upload an image in either the mobile or desktop version of the site.
    Paste the image Url into the drop down above the text box, (a rectangle with a folded corner), and press SPACE.
    That should work. It'd be good to see your pics. 
    What if I just wanna upload a pic from my phone?
    You can't do that. You have to load the image up on a site such as Imgur first

How to post pics, Imgur - Help & Feedback Discussions on theFretBoard

Edit: Actually you can if you subscribe 

NEW - SUBSCRIPTIONS! Get image uploads and no ads! - Help & Feedback Discussions on theFretBoard
    edited April 2023

Guess I figured out the pics.

This is a typical ride for me.  Starts in the high desert and moves up into sub-alpine and, if you’re up for it, proper alpine riding.  This particular ride is all that’s available here until more snow melts, sometime in June, where more options and better alpine trails will open up.  Elevation ranges from about 4500 to 7000 ft, but these pics are probably up to around 5500-6000 ft.  The switchbacks can be hairpin and pretty technical with boulders, loose rock and pinecones (which will throw you off the bike if you’re not ready for it).

The other side of that big snowy mountain is Lake Tahoe.  (Fun fact: “tahoe” is the native Washoe word for “lake”.)

I’m a lucky guy, as this is basically my back yard.  Maybe 10 minutes to the trail head.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    edited April 2023
    Cranky said:

Guess I figured out the pics.

This is a typical ride for me.  Starts in the high desert and moves up into sub-alpine and, if you’re up for it, proper alpine riding.  This particular ride is all that’s available here until more snow melts, sometime in June, where more options and better alpine trails will open up.  Elevation ranges from about 4500 to 7000 ft, but these pics are probably up to around 5500-6000 ft.  The switchbacks can be hairpin and pretty technical with boulders, loose rock and pinecones (which will throw you off the bike if you’re not ready for it).

The other side of that big snowy mountain is Lake Tahoe.  (Fun fact: “tahoe” is the native Washoe word for “lake”.)

I’m a lucky guy, as this is basically my back yard.  Maybe 10 minutes to the trail head.
    Definitely winning "pics from today's ride" on tFB for this week for sure. Lovely terrain there mate :)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Wow @Cranky ... WOW! Stunning landscape and trails. Were there others about or did you have the place to yourself? 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 349
    Nice backyard @Cranky, I live right on the edge of town so five minutes and I am in the country lanes, I think I would swap them for your s though
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Wow, amazing pics and scenery! I’ve had Lake Tahoe on my bucket list for a long time! 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 951
    Every road out of my village started d with a climb, so I'd warm up on a turbo before going out.

In those days we lived in the Vale of Belvoir. Harby Bank was a climb I enjoyed. If I had an hour to spare, that's where you'd find me. 

I just loved to climb. Do I miss it? You betcha!

:)
  • PjonPjon Frets: 332
    Cranky said:
    Cranky is jelly.  I want a new bike now.

What’s the fastest you all have done on a bicycle?  I got up to around 100k/hour once (on a road bike), it was pretty terrifying, I was actually kinda riding the brakes going downhill.
    Not the fastest, but the most memorable high speed...

I did the Etape de Tour in 2000, finishing on top of Mont Ventoux. The bottom of the mountain was a nice Provencale summer's day, the top was about 2 degrees when I got there, and snowing shortly after with a horrendous wind. Our transport was all parked at the bottom on the far side, about 23km away, and we were riding in summer racing kit - lycra shorts, jerseys, with maybe a lightweight windproof. 

Problem 1 : I'd lost a contact lens on a previous mountain descent earlier in the day.

Problem 2 : the freezing temperatures combined with fingerless mitts and high speeds meant that fingers froze into one position on the bars/brakes or just became so slow to react that led to

Problem 3 : riders crashing everywhere, which led to 

Problem 4 : ambulances and medics charging the wrong way up a fast, supposedly closed descent with frozen riders descending at speed, which led back to problem 3.

I hit over 90kph on the straights, mainly with one eye closed and feathering the brakes as much as I could for fear of not being able to get my frozen fingers back on them if I released fully.

It was warm and not snowing at the bottom, and lots of wine was drunk that night. I also rode past Greg Lemond and Alain Prost early in the day which means that for over 20 years I've told anyone who'll listen that I beat them both in a race. (Lying by omission and all that. :D

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ sounds miserable.  If that was me it probably would have been the last ride I did for some time.
    Wow @Cranky ... WOW! Stunning landscape and trails. Were there others about or did you have the place to yourself? 
    There were a couple others.  Weekends and lunch hour can get a little busy, but by midsummer it naturally thins out as the other trail options (plenty of intersections to “try again” or choose another route) open up.

@BRISTOL86 Tahoe Rim Trail is pretty fantastic if you’re not afraid of heights.  Flume Trail from Spooner Lake up to Marlette Lake let’s you look down at Tahoe (dense pine forest all around). But really there’s no shortage of organized trails and open spaces if you draw a circle around Reno, Auburn, Placerville, Tahoe.  There’s more outside that circle, but pretty much anywhere within that circle you will be eating, sleeping and lodging well when the ride’s done.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    @Cranky love those pics, looks like damn fine mountain bike country!
    edited April 2023
    @Cranky love those pics, looks like damn fine mountain bike country!
    Well, we’ve had these mountains for a while now.  We just needed the bikes.

It really is a beautiful place.  From Tahoe out to redwood country and Big Sur, there’s no shortage of protected open spaces.

Another beautiful area for hiking and biking in real mountains is the red rock country of southern Utah up into Colorado. 

(Yes, I’m very much partial to the western US.)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Longest ride in the books today! Home to Bradford on Avon and back. 

It was actually 2.5 miles longer than the GPS recorded, because 2.5 miles was done through the ‘Two Tunnels Greenway’ which includes what is apparently the longest cycle tunnel in the UK at 1.03 miles. Surreal experience - pitch black for a mile but classical music being piped in to the speakers every 300 yards or so! Quite bizarre!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2245
    Started my new work commute and loving it.

https://flic.kr/p/2i4fNXJ
    edited April 2023
    Did my longest ever ride today. 139km taking parts of lago maggiore and lake lugano. Crossed the swiss Italian boarder 3 times too!

Really beautiful place to ride a bike, if you ever get the chance. 

Route and photos here: https://strava.app.link/Sje3T5Zu3yb

Question to those of you that regularly do long rides, tomorrow, should I just rest, or do a very easy ride?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1272
    It depends. I usually plan for a day off, then go for an easier ride, however see how you feel.
    Sometimes a gentle spin helps, but other times it just seems to  prolong suffering.

I've found that hydration and nutrition are a bigger concern after tough days.
    edited April 2023
    Did my longest ever ride today. 139km taking parts of lago maggiore and lake lugano. Crossed the swiss Italian boarder 3 times too!

Question to those of you that regularly do long rides, tomorrow, should I just rest, or do a very easy ride?
    Ok you’re just taking the piss out of me now lol 

Sounds stunning! Can’t see any pics on your Strava post though. 
    BRISTOL86 said:

Ok you’re just taking the piss out of me now lol 

Sounds stunning! Can’t see any pics on your Strava post though. 
    That's a shame, it's a really beautiful part of Switzerland, maybe photos are private?

This is only the 2nd time I've done more than 33 miles :smile: the last was nearly 10 years ago, but this year I am feeling quite fit, I'm a bit lighter than normal and my family is away, so it felt like a good time to try for a big one.

How the pros do such rides in a couple of hours, day after day is a beyond me!!!

Loving the pics from your ride, when I first started cycling I did quite a bit in Surrey, its a very pretty county with some nice routes.  Not sure I like the sound of the tunnel though - very surreal :)

m_c said:
    It depends. I usually plan for a day off, then go for an easier ride, however see how you feel.
    Sometimes a gentle spin helps, but other times it just seems to  prolong suffering.

I've found that hydration and nutrition are a bigger concern after tough days.

I'm feeling ok today, just a little "heavy" so I think a short 20 min spin might help shift some lactic acid.

I definitely feel dehydrated though.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4209

I did my first club ride in ages on Saturday so feel I have valid advice :)

My "recovery" yesterday was mainly spent lying around complaining about how much everything hurt and groaning every time I moved.

Maybe this will work for you too?
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom