The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    Struggling to find time to bike as much as I'd like, so braving a commute tomorrow... 70kms each way.

Follows the train line though, so lots of bail out options!

Let's see.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 454
    Struggling to find time to bike as much as I'd like, so braving a commute tomorrow... 70kms each way.

Follows the train line though, so lots of bail out options!

Let's see.
    How did you get on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @Teetonetal ; don't abandon unless you absolutely have to.

It provides an easy way out when it gets tough, you see, and its tough that makes us better. 

:) 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    @vanlooy1 I made it there and back, which was extremely pleasing. Its a decent distance, but no climbs so quite manageable.

Worst thing was the journey home which was into the wind the whole way. I got quite cold.

Need to hydrate and feed better next time as well.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @vanlooy1 I made it there and back, which was extremely pleasing. Its a decent distance, but no climbs so quite manageable.

Worst thing was the journey home which was into the wind the whole way. I got quite cold.

Need to hydrate and feed better next time as well.
    Good on you, that’s quite a shlep! Nothing worse than grinding home into a headwind.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Legs are shot this morning - for some reason I thought a power test would be a good idea yesterday - ouch. 

Rest today (although I'm working) ride again tomorrow ;)
  • Another furthest yet ride today, 29 miles. I went with two others, they were fitter then me so I had to really push myself, though they did have to stop for me to catch up a few times. The ride was high up into a spectacularly remote valley in Snowdonia, some steep climbs but I made it. My mate's cousin was a farmer at the top of the valley, so we had a good chat there and a cup of tea. The return downhill was a lot of fun. A tough but hugely enjoyable ride.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You'll easily be ready. @MagicPigDetective.

I'm pretty sure you could do it now. You know you can do good mileage, the rest is in your head and regular rides out.

Well done, keep it up. 
    ☺️
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 328
    Mellish said:

I'm pretty sure you could do it now. You know you can do good mileage, the rest is in your head and regular rides out.

Well done, keep it up. 
    ☺️

i was about to say the same thing =)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    Can’t find Giro highlights ? Anyone know which channel has it - Quest doesn’t seem to ?
  • Jaycee said:
    Mellish said:

Well done, keep it up. 
    ☺️

i was about to say the same thing =)
    Thanks both, I’ve come a long way in a month, feeling more confident and stronger. A lot is in the mind, as you say @Mellish , yesterday I pushed myself through some barriers, being with others was a help in that respect. Onwards and upwards! Shame it’s forecast to piss it down tomorrow though. 
    sev112 said:
    Can’t find Giro highlights ? Anyone know which channel has it - Quest doesn’t seem to ?
    They did a couple of years ago but not since, it’s Eurosport for coverage. You can get it through subscription via Discovery plus assuming it’s not part of any TV package you have.
    I subscribe to GCN+ (£40 a year) which has all the pro races.
    I’ve been watching all 3 of the grand tours on Quest /ITV4/C4 for a few years now - occurs to me that somebody hasn’t made a deal this year :( 
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    Great pic of the ride as always @MagicPigDetective ;
     I’m looking forward to getting out on the bikes once my lad has finished his GCSEs. He loves going to Coed y Brenin, so many great rides around that area. Even the totally flat Barmouth to Dolgellau ride is a lovely day out

Picking your collective brains - I’m thinking of getting a gps that I could download routes to. How would you rate the Wahoo versus the Garmin?
    i was thinking maybe even an old phone with a gps app could do the trick but not as well as a proper unit
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3895
    edited May 2023
    BlueStrat said:
    Great pic of the ride as always @MagicPigDetective 
     I’m looking forward to getting out on the bikes once my lad has finished his GCSEs. He loves going to Coed y Brenin, so many great rides around that area. Even the totally flat Barmouth to Dolgellau ride is a lovely day out

Picking your collective brains - I’m thinking of getting a gps that I could download routes to. How would you rate the Wahoo versus the Garmin?
    i was thinking maybe even an old phone with a gps app could do the trick but not as well as a proper unit
    I’d not use a phone as running a gps app really saps the battery so may be flat when you have an accident or mechanical and need to call for help. Perhaps I’m over cautious….

I haven’t used a modern Garmin but find the Wahoo really easy to use: setup was simple and it easily syncs routes from Strava or RideWithGPS. Probably other sites as well but I haven’t tried. Also very easy to connect to hrm, cadence etc. if you want to do that. You do need a smart phone to set up but it sounds as if you have one so that shouldn’t be an issue for you?

I may be upgrading my ELEMNT to a colour screen version in the near future. 

EDIT …so may be selling my old ELEMNT if anyone is interested 
  • hawk_eyehawk_eye Frets: 13
    sev112 said:
    It looks like Discovery have moved them from Quest to DMAX, so they’re still available on Freeview. It’s on channel 38 for me, 7-8pm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BlueStrat said:

I’ve got a Garmin 530 and the GPS navigation is really good, definitely worth the money.

The battery life is more like 12 hrs compared to the claimed 20 and it has an annoying habit of unpairing with my phone but apart from that….
    @hawk_eye ; yep, DMAX.

And, as you say, available on Freeview. Good spot! 

:) 
    hawk_eye said:
    sev112 said:
    It looks like Discovery have moved them from Quest to DMAX, so they’re still available on Freeview. It’s on channel 38 for me, 7-8pm.
    Bravo !   Thanks 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    vanlooy1 said:
    BlueStrat said:

I’ve got a Garmin 530 and the GPS navigation is really good, definitely worth the money.

The battery life is more like 12 hrs compared to the claimed 20 and it has an annoying habit of unpairing with my phone but apart from that….
    I've always used Polar just a hang over from `hr monitoring days - ``i now use a `polar `vantage watch rather than a bike computer - I use to record what I've done I don't ever seem to need navigation I always have a good idea of where `i'm going ;)

A good friend of mine who owns a bike shop really rates `Wahoo and is not keen on `Garmin if that helps.