The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot
1525354555658»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited September 13
    BigMonka said:
    I quite like the idea of rollers but I'm not brave enough now that I've watched so many clips of people dramatically falling off them!
    I have to have it set up by something to hold onto just to get started, haven't mastered starting without support yet! I've never had a spectacular dismount either, always managed to unclip in time haha

I was looking at a turbo but 120mm singlespeed dropouts limits things a bit especially if I wanted a direct drive. I may have to go to a smaller fixed gear for more of a workout once I've got used to it if the higher resistance setting isn't enough, but I was done after 20 mins, shows how unfit I am haha. I can imagine they wouldn't be good for any kind of interval training etc but for me I just like to put YouTube on and spin away for a while. The bike moving around keeps you on your toes too and is meant to be good for the core. I used to follow the GCN spin classes when I had a geared bike so I'll try them on this too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wahoo Kickr and Zwift for winter workouts here at Chez LGM. I find the group rides and training plans work for me, couldn't sit on a turbo churning out the miles staring at a wall!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 135
    Hi Guys

Just a quick one to say that I have stuck my Vitus 797 up in Misc Classifieds for a trade if anyone is interested?  

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/271993/ft-vitus-797-road-bike-fender-pro-junior-for-strat-or-tele?new=1

Cheers

Guy
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 385
    Anyone else at London - Brighton yesterday? 

What a cracking day, or at least it started that way. Gorgeous weather, great riding mates, a relatively clean course, and some tasty beverages on the beach in Brighton. 

Managed just under 4 hours moving time and up the Ditchling Beacon in 10:38. 

Had a bit of a crisis about 4km from the Beacon. I was silly and shifted both the front and rear at the same time dropping down for a bit of a hill, and under power the chain dropped and got lodged terribly between the crank and bottom bracket. Twisted the chain something fierce. 

Roving mechanics were brilliant got me back up and running in about 15 mins, and I think it helped me mentally stay on the bike up the Beacon. I was NOT going to let this stop me from finishing strong. 

Looking at the damage today. Uh oh. 

The scratches are fine, but that chunk out of the bottom corner of the BB isn’t great. I’ll pull the cranks and have a closer look but I hope it’s not as bad as it has me thinking.

All in all a great day out. I just hope it didn’t turn out to be an expensive one. 

• PjonPjon Frets: 331
    pt22 said:

Had a bit of a crisis about 4km from the Beacon. I was silly and shifted both the front and rear at the same time dropping down for a bit of a hill, and under power the chain dropped and got lodged terribly between the crank and bottom bracket. Twisted the chain something fierce. 

Roving mechanics were brilliant got me back up and running in about 15 mins, and I think it helped me mentally stay on the bike up the Beacon. I was NOT going to let this stop me from finishing strong. 

Looking at the damage today. Uh oh. 

The scratches are fine, but that chunk out of the bottom corner of the BB isn’t great. I’ll pull the cranks and have a closer look but I hope it’s not as bad as it has me thinking.

All in all a great day out. I just hope it didn’t turn out to be an expensive one. 

You've aged your bike - it's worth more now than it was. That's the way it works, isn;t it? :dissapointed: 

There's plenty of material around the BB shell, so I'd imagine the bike will be fine, and you have a battle-scar to remind you of the event! 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 385
    edited September 25
    Pjon said:
    You've aged your bike - it's worth more now than it was. That's the way it works, isn;t it? dissapointed 

There's plenty of material around the BB shell, so I'd imagine the bike will be fine, and you have a battle-scar to remind you of the event! 
    Yes it's now properly a "relic".

Thanks for that comment. I've been leaning towards just putting some epoxy in there and then a bit of helicopter tape over it and moving on with life. Too many mates though insisting I need to get it checked out. I'm skeptical. One final shot to request guidance from the local TFP carbon experts :P 

It’s definitely munched through the very top layer of carbon, but I’m fairly confident that it’s still structurally sound so long as it doesn’t continue to delaminate. As you say…tons of material there. 

Confirm and move on, or get it looked at for probably £250-£500 plus the faff of taking all the bits off? 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 331
    If it was my bike I'd just carry on riding it - and I'm mainly a MTBer, so give the frame a harder time than I would a road bike. But, I'd understand why others might get it assessed. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2755
    Bit of black epoxy and carry on IMO