Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Toys from your youth.

What's Hot
For me it was mainly action man, Johnny West and meccano. This was mid 60's to early 70's How about you .
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11450
    Lego, from the old days before there were all those fancy pieces you can buy nowadays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Meccano ruled. Born in '72. Me, not Meccano.

And Star Wars stuff.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    My Evil Knievel bike. Big Trak. Action man. When Space Invaders came along it was really exciting, as was BMX. By 1983 that was all I was interested in.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    God I totally forgot about the wee Space Invaders stand alone console thing. Hours with it under the quilt.

Kids are fucking spoiled these days. Mine are, wife's fault. 9yrs and 5 yrs, each got an iPad, and our 2yr old can navigate the wife's iPhone V.  There's no 'play' anymore. Quite sad really.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Action Man, Airfix, Matchbox cars.
  • Used to have muton and cyborg action figures when they first came out.
    Lost them a long time back but they're worth a bomb now!
  • Action Man - with gripping hands, obviously. I also had Atomic Man, which was done in response to the Bionic Man, which I also had. And Evel Kneivel, which worked pretty well, just like in the adverts. Always had a load of Lego and Meccano as well. I once took out an electric motor from a cassette deck and used it to power Meccano-based vehicles. Oh and and anybody here who hasn't built an Airfix Spitfire must be in the minority!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The other day I wanted a straight bracket, can't remember for what exactly.
    Why didn't I keep my old Meccano set?

Missing a neck plate for a Partsocaster? No problem

• One thing that's changed from my youth is how much we actually made things. I made my first pickup for a black Kay acoustic, and also various things out of wood for my action men. With out gripping hands. In fact my first action man, did not even have realistic hair it was painted on !
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    Born in '75 so the usual stuff as already mentioned, also Battlestar Gallactica figures,  Zoids were cool - remember them?  But when the Commodore 64 landed nothing else seemed to matter.
  • Also born in '75, and I remember zoids.

Loved Lego, recently retrieved two big tubs of it from my parents loft, and I've passed it onto my eldest (5 year old). We're having a great time playing together with that. 

Apart from that I had loads of transformers and Star Wars figured/ships. Wish I still had those but we passed them onto younger cousins years ago. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2182
    Transformers, M.A.S.K, Thundercats and He-Man
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    I was born in '67 so my toys were from the 70s… a vast amount of Lego, a bit of Meccano, Airfix and Tamiya kits, Action Man, model railways, first-generation skateboards (1977), balsa gliders, crystal radios and basic transistor stuff, bikes which I tinkered with and built one from scrap parts - never had a Chopper, my dad wouldn't let me because he said they were dangerous (which they were a bit). And probably some of the last proper soap-box and pram-wheels go carts, when I was about 8 or 9 I think, they seemed to disappear after that. And lots of toy guns of course, some of which would actually fire stuff, hasn't the world changed!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Pocketeers, still got loads of them kids play with them, and those little cubes with puzzles in them, and perfection.. Also had a ton of Star Wars toys, 2 Millenium Falcons, 2 At At, just tons.. My Dad was one of the bosses at Roadline and use to get all the broken box stuff dead cheap.
  • DrJazzTap said:
    Transformers, M.A.S.K, Thundercats and He-Man

Pretty much on that shit.  I had totally forgotten about M.A.S.K., loved 'em.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    edited November 2013
    Lego (standard blocks only) and 'Britains' farm stuff (and some woods and a stream and a steady suppply of holiday-makers' kids to play with).

I had some meccano, but it paled into nothing compared to the huge old set that my cousins had - with dozens of gears, and everything. I think it was the one that you could build a huge railway crane out of.

I never had an action man. Paul Hobden had action men ...  one of them had moving eyes and gripping hands... and he had a tank for them... and he had a chopper bike....
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8860
    Model aeroplanes mainly.  I've still got the engines somewhere.  
    anybody here who hasn't built an Airfix Spitfire must be in the minority!
    A bit of Airfix too, but never a Spitfire.  I did have 26" wingspan balsa Mk5 Spitfire, with a 1.5 diesel engine.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    edited November 2013
    Misterg said:
    'Britains' farm stuff
    I forgot that! I had some too, but less than my wife had, so our kids have now got quite a collection.
    Misterg said:
    I had some meccano, but it paled into nothing compared to the huge old set that my cousins had - with dozens of gears, and everything. I think it was the one that you could build a huge railway crane out of.
    My dad had some 1940s Meccano like that - I used to play with it, his old Dinky toys and a couple of pre-Mamod steam engines round at my granny's house. We had a clear-out and Ebayed most of it - some was worth a fair amount. I kept a couple of my favourite Dinkys, they're quite pretty.

I forgot to say before, James May is my hero… well if he wasn't so much of a prat, anyway :). I love all those toy programmes he did.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 73 for me. All the same stuff, except no Star Wars for some reason. I was very into bmx but my big things were my Technical Lego car chassis 8860, Sharp qt27 ghetto blaster and my atari 800xl. Never looked back until I saw Jimi on tv one night.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• '69 here, I remember when I was about 11 my elder brother and me took a few airbomb fireworks to bits and made what would now be called an IED and destroyed our Action Man tank down at the beach!

Probably get locked up if I tried that nowadays ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom