Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Toys from your youth.

What's Hot

Comments

• A stick.

My mate Colin had two sticks. Posh bastard.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 397
     And the also an honorable mention to the Home Chemistry Kit that good old Nan bought me for xmas '86 (my mum never really forgave her for that)
    Was this the Johnny Ball chemistry set by any chance? I had that, loved it, especially the blue powder that exploded in the glass test tubes! I was only allowed to play with it in the garden after that :-D

My best mate had a grifter bike, I was envious as I only had a Striker which was a smaller bike without the cool gears, but I did add a toy siren on it for those police sounds and the obligatory playing cards on the spokes held on by washing pegs :-)

I was born in '74 and don't remember any Transformers or Zoids being around at the time, but had plenty of fun playing with my Action Man control tower (that huge orange tower thing) and indestructible Tonka toys.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We weren't posh enough for scalextric, I didn't have any Lego. Action man, lots of matchbox cars and many airfix soldiers. My childhood was basically a re enactment of WWII in plastic. Until I saw Star Wars all films were westerns, musicals ( ideally musical westerns) or about WWII so my frame of reference was quite small.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • skayskay Frets: 397
    Many people seem to mention Scalextrics, but does anyone remember the TCR set instead (I think it stood for Total Control Racing) as you could change lanes to overtake, very cool. Plus you had the 'Jam Car' that went round slowly by itself and basically got in your way for you to overtake, this way you could happily play this by yourself which was ideal as my sisters were busy with Cindy dolls and combing the hair of a dummies head :-) 

I still have my TCR set boxed-up in the loft, but the cars stopped working years ago, it would just be an expensive and pointless nostalgic venture to bring this thing back to life I think. Happy times though.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Airfix and Matchbox kits
    Lego
    Space 1999 Eagle
    1/32 Soldiers and Tanks
    Starwars figures.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Airfix, Meccano, Lego, Chemistry set, Minic (same idea as Scalextric but different), Magnet-tricity science kit (with wires switches bulbs magnets etc) ... all these things started to take over from the cuddly toys at one stage or another. IIRC Lego came first ... and none of that stuff remains, but my mum kept the cuddly toys and now I've got most of them back again.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Airfix, Action Man, Scalextric, Hornby.   As there were four brothers, the Scalextric and Hornby ended up as huge sets.  Most of it is still in the family.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    edited November 2013
    Born '63. My main stuff were action men, Marx men (same size as action men but with armour, viking gear, etc - pic below), and metal cars (matchbox, hotwheels etc)

• Mamod traction engine and trailer which I still have in their boxes. I wasn't really allowed to play with it though due to fire and parafin etc.

I had Britains space figures which not many seem to remember. They fired little red plastic balls.

Also dug out of the attic recently, Star Wars figures, action man, Zoids, hornby train set and a little cadburys chocolate machine which I loved.

And then there was my Dad's 'Video Genie' computer. That got lots of use and eventually got sold a couple of years ago to a collector in the USA for a pretty penny.
  • My brother and I both had a Johnny Seven gun - seven weapons in one - awesome.

A good condition one with its box will go for £150-£250 now.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614

Britains Farm toys, lots and lots of Airfix kits, meccano (my uncles old red and green set), a few balsa aeroplanes and a no brand figure 8 car race track, pretty much everything else we made out of wood (guns, sledges, go carts etc.).

But then we had the great outdoors.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    '71 all the usual Action Men, Dinky, Lego. Never got the Evel Knievel that Alexander down the road had and I so craved.
    Wife bought me it for my 40th :) it's brill!
    My mate's dad was a magician and he had a book in his collection that detailed how to make explosives and various fireworks, so obviously we "borrowed" it and spent quite a bit of our childhoods blowing stuff up, which was nice.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • skay said:
    Many people seem to mention Scalextrics, but does anyone remember the TCR set instead (I think it stood for Total Control Racing) as you could change lanes to overtake, very cool. Plus you had the 'Jam Car' that went round slowly by itself and basically got in your way for you to overtake, this way you could happily play this by yourself which was ideal as my sisters were busy with Cindy dolls and combing the hair of a dummies head :-) 

I still have my TCR set boxed-up in the loft, but the cars stopped working years ago, it would just be an expensive and pointless nostalgic venture to bring this thing back to life I think. Happy times though.

I had a juggernaught racing TCR. Brilliant, as you say proper overtaking/lane changing.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    edited November 2013
    oh my,  nearly clean forgot...............Striker/Super Striker (I had the latter with the diving goalie)............where you pressed their heads and they actually KICKED the ball !!!!!!..... and of course Subbutteo 

anyone remember "Bobby Charlton Super Soccer"  ?

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    oh my,  nearly clean forgot...............Striker/Super Striker (I had the latter with the diving goalie)............where you pressed their heads and they actually KICKED the ball !!!!!!..... and of course Subbutteo 

anyone remember "Bobby Charlton Super Soccer"  ?

Oh yes, we had that.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    RobDavies said:
    Born in '70 so Action Man, Lego and a good ol' Raleigh Grifter were all I needed.     Into the 80's and a copy of Pocket Playbirds and one of these would keep me occupied for hours - although not at the same time..

Wow, that takes me back. I had completely forgotten about Grandstand Games - serious nostalgia, I also had that Space Invaders along with this one....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My brother and I both had a Johnny Seven gun - seven weapons in one - awesome.

Only one mention of guns ? I had loads.  Still pine for the one my Mum would not let me have: a Colt Buntline Special with bullets you could take apart and put caps in. Sigh.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • Anyone else have any of these:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3465107_f520.jpg

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    Only one mention of guns ?
    ICBM said:
    And lots of toy guns of course, some of which would actually fire stuff, hasn't the world changed!
    ;)

I had several 'cowboy guns' - mostly just cap-firing revolvers, but also a plastic lever-action Winchester rifle which fired little gold plastic BBs, and which really hurt. Then later a cap-firing 'spud gun' which you loaded the cartridge with potato or something similar, and fitted a cap in the back - laborious, but fun to shoot things with.

But the most dangerous weapon I had - which my dad took off me - was a Red Indian kit with a feather headdress and a proper, fibreglass bow and rubber-tipped arrows. But I thought the rubber-tipped arrows didn't fly very straight, so I took the rubber tips off. Then I discovered what that large cutter in the double-barrelled pencil sharpeners (the one which didn't fit any known pencil) was good for… I must have been about seven I think! The arrows were swiftly confiscated.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein