Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Toys from your youth.

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10617

Scalectrix, evil Kinevil, chopper bike, Grifter bike.  Loads of lego and Meccano. Remote controlled cars on a wire, mono phonic keyboard from Casio VL-1 ...... remember a Da Da Da  :~) Horrible Kay guitars with actions an inch of the board .  

But we was happy and nobody got hurt or killed ....... cept the one's that were hurt and killed 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Born in 64 and mainly Lego, Scalextrics, Meccano and Airfix models. Board games too and Buckeroo etc.

Later on Star Wars stuff and Sinclair ZX's.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 620
    hotwheels, mousetrap ...evil Knievel , and of course the chopper bike..
  • another '75er and another vote for Transformers & Star Wars. And the also an honorable mention to the Home Chemistry Kit that good old Nan bought me for xmas '86 (my mum never really forgave her for that)

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I had lots of toys but I loved Hot Wheels .. I even had the battery poowered garage that wizzed the cars around the loop-the-loop track circa 1965.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 620
    Fretwired said:
    I had lots of toys but I loved Hot Wheels .. I even had the battery poowered garage that wizzed the cars around the loop-the-loop track circa 1965.
    bloody hell...i had one of them ..was it really 1965...?

• I remember being mad on "Matchbox" Cars and Subbuteo. I'm struggling here, but I do recall some quirky ones I had like "Stretch Armstrong", a mad game called "Rebound" and some insane plastic Boxing figures game where you pressed a button and they punched each other.

Into the 80's, does anyone recall the Vectrex System? My mate had one, you can guess whose house everyone was round at :-D

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Barney said:
    Fretwired said:
    bloody hell...i had one of them ..was it really 1965...?

Probably a little bit later ... there was something before Hot Wheels ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I'm also a '67er ICBM and I remember balsa gliders - the only time I could get them was when we visited my grandparents in London and my grandfather took me to Hamleys. We used to fly them in the communal garden behind their house. Never had a Scalextric but I had a Hornby train set one Christmas, I was going to build a whole realistic scenario for it but it didn't get any further than an oval of track nailed to a piece of hardboard painted in primer... Spent ages playing Subbuteo as well. 

I've got a great book on this stuff, TV Cream Toys by Steve Berry.
  • Anyone have any starcom stuff? Wasn't massive but I reckon it was awesome
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'm just pleased I am fortunate enough to have missed Pokemon (I mean, what the fck is that all about?). Although I had a really difficult time dealing with all of the shite music the '80's spewed forth. Thank the Lord for vinyl from the '70's.

I had Top Trumps though. Class.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27868
    edited November 2013
    PolarityMan;79298" said:
    Anyone have any starcom stuff? Wasn't massive but I reckon it was awesome
    Starcom!! Hell yeah! Me and my friend Dave had loads of it between us. I probably still have some in the loft. 

(EDIT: Crikey - just looked on ebay for old Starcom. Turns out some of it's worth a fortune even without boxes. I need to look in the loft!)

1984 for me, so I had shitloads of batman and ghostbusters toys, and then Thunderbirds when it was big in the 90's. Still got all that in my parents' loft.

(Also, my phone just corrected shitloads to "girl aids". Tee hee :) )

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272;79299" said:
    I'm just pleased I am fortunate enough to have missed Pokemon (I mean, what the fck is that all about?). Although I had a really difficult time dealing with all of the shite music the '80's spewed forth. Thank the Lord for vinyl from the '70's.

I had Top Trumps though. Class.
    The original Gameboy Pokemon games were actually brilliant. Haven't played any since so can't comment further. All the associated crap is beyond me though!

Speaking of which, the old original Gameboy will always be close to my heart. Just Tetris and Super Mario Land alone covered half my childhood car journeys!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    edited November 2013
    Born in '70 so Action Man, Lego and a good ol' Raleigh Grifter were all I needed.     Into the 80's and a copy of Pocket Playbirds and one of these would keep me occupied for hours - although not at the same time..

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I had some Lego, Crash Test Dummies and a car which were cool as, but they all came apart by design so naturally I lost most of it, a Char-G, a Tomy scalextric thing.

My V key is broken
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3368
    edited November 2013
    Yep I had a Vectrex, Dad got me one 2nd hand for crimbo the year after release, came with Bedlam(Tempest clone), Scramble and Bezerk.. My older Sisters hated it cos their boyfriends would come round and ignore them.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Lego, Subbuteo (football, cricket and rugby), Triang-Hornby trains and a thing we used to play for hours called CrossFire
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited November 2013
    Matchbox cars (Dinky if we were really flush)  Britain tractors,  etch-a-sketch,  was never allowed an action man.

My elder bros had scalextric,  it was handed down to me but I was never that much into it,   got a very small hornby train set, I remember I saved up and bought the "royal mail" carriage that collected mail sacks,

Oh - battling tops,  used to love it.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited November 2013

I remember Betta Builder, which were small white bricks, kind of an cheaper version of Lego (which I never had). It was to my mind better than Lego, because the small bricks meant I could build more intricate things. I played with that a lot. I also used to make shedloads of aeroplane models, Airfix etc, and hang them off the ceiling. I had a basic train set from Triang, and a basic Scalextric.

One of my favourites was the Mamod steam traction engine, though. I used to use the third bedroom which was a bare box room with bare floorboards as a play room (only because my parents didn't have the money to do it up), and regularly set fire to the floorboards during initial firing-up sessions. The meths used to fire the burner was easy to spill, but usually burnt off without mishap, but on occasion I had to stamp on it. When my dad realised the kind of danger I was putting the entire household in, he banished the steam engine to outside the house. Fucking killjoy.

My old man used to be a carpenter, and, thinking I might be a chip off the old block (no pun intended), bought me a lovely junior carpenter's set. He had a pair of solid-oak table legs in the bedroom he was saving for some project or other, and became quite annoyed after discovering I'd sawn one in half with the saw in the set he'd bought me. That got banished to the garage in short order.

But whilst toys were an important part of my childhood, me and my mates used to spend most of our time outdoors playing and getting into mischief, instead of staying in.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    New stuff included the original lego, but mostly second hand Hornby trains, old bikes and one treasured item a Radionics Electronics set. (I still have that!)