Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Gibson 2015 deals (again)

What's Hot

Comments

• JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    You have to wonder just how cheap Amazon got all of this stock, if they are willing to refund such amounts. Even at the lowest prices, to add a %ge of refunds, they will have to be making a profit or there was no incentive to do it. Gibson have got to have made a massive loss on all of these guitars

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Amazon still target volume growth and turnover, which is prioritised over profit. Probably £100k+ in sales from the Gibsons Friday. Equally it's highly aggressive against competitors.

Exceeding customer expectations is one of Amazon's priorities. You can't easily buy back customer loyalty once lost, you can pay to retain it though. Amazon take a long term view per customer on revenue not profit.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8629

Jookyjr said:
    You have to wonder just how cheap Amazon got all of this stock, if they are willing to refund such amounts. Even at the lowest prices, to add a %ge of refunds, they will have to be making a profit or there was no incentive to do it. Gibson have got to have made a massive loss on all of these guitars
    I think it's very damaging for Gibson - for someone to buy a 2016 model they wil need to be very committed, else I can imagine people thinking that they'll wait until the end of the year when they are at 50% - even if this was never the intention, such behaviour could drive this result.
  • Cabicular said:
    Sorry it maybe came across more aggressive than I meant
    I didn't take (nor mean) offence I was just pointing out that every situation is unique and it's difficult to have a blanket rule.
    It's complex . How cheap does a guitar have to be be how much damage does it need to have
    It's a difficult scale. The best we can do is report it to the vendor but they seem to have a blanket refund policy. I'm not sure what else we, the punter, can do?

No worries... and yes, I agree it's complex and, as you say, 'every situation is unique' (so the second part of my comment was meant to be comment on my purchase). Bottom line, if someone's not happy with the quality of the product... they can and should take it up with the retailer. (I was just a bit surprised that Wez complained about the absence of a manual... that - in reality - has never even been available in hard copy format. But... hey... we've discussed that one... and Wez has come out of it as the good guy that he truly is.) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10103
    edited December 2015
    It is a UNIQUE situation that will probably never happen again...

1.) A major manufacturer releasing a whole years worth of controversial stock

2.) Those releases barely selling world wide

3.) Gibson - dealer problems, restrictions, enforcements, and arguments

4.) Amazon then taking the bulk of the remaining stock (i.e. becoming distributor)

5.) Gibsons generally being poorly built

6.) Amazon not selling said stock

7.) Huge BF sales !

8.) Amazon (great) customer service having to solve quality problems. Potential chance for them to be 'had over'.

Totally unique.

I've ordered two Gibsons, one has already been lost, both (all 3 ?!?!) are way behind schedule.

I'm not holding my breath !! :)
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    dindude;878225" said:

Jookyjr said:

I think it's very damaging for Gibson - for someone to buy a 2016 model they wil need to be very committed, else I can imagine people thinking that they'll wait until the end of the year when they are at 50% - even if this was never the intention, such behaviour could drive this result.
    I think Gibson had to clear the decks or else the 2016 models would be hard to sell with a stock of '15s left on the shelf at discounted prices.

From a business point of view it's much easier to have one bad year followed by a good one than 2 OK years, especially if you can point to why it was a bad year. So getting rid of stock even at no profit makes sense for them.
  • @Wazmeister When your multiple 2015 Gibsons do turn up... you should take them along on your next visit to Coda... and watch Doug's face when you pretend to want to part-ex them on your next new amp!

2105 Gibson part-exs... will do to retailers what kryptonite does to Superman.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015
    Cash flow is the life blood of a business, making a loss for companies the size of Gibson and Amazon isn't a problem if you can demonstrate volume, customer and sales growth.

With the diversification of Gibson's 2015 range they must have had a higher inventory so can at least generate cash.

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    I dunno, I think we're gonna see this next year too. I've started saving already.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adamski said:
    I dunno, I think we're gonna see this next year too. I've started saving already.

They could make it an annual event... Black Gibson Day.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10103

@Wazmeister When your multiple 2015 Gibsons do turn up... you should take them along on your next visit to Coda... and watch Doug's face when you pretend to want to part-ex them on your next new amp!

2105 Gibson part-exs... will do to retailers what kryptonite does to Superman.

Yes, mate... and I'll get about £35 p/x on BOTH !!!!
    edited December 2015
    It's a smaller range this year though so more focused on the known sellers. That whole middle ground LPM/dc/classic/plus/deluxe have gone.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    Sync;878272" said:
    It's a smaller range this year though so more focused on the known sellers. That whole middle ground LPM/dc/classic/plus/deluxe have gone.
    I don't think it's smaller at all! The Les Paul Studio, Traditional Standard and the SG standard have two different models! The T (Traditional) and the HP (High performance). So you'll see one sell very well, most likely the traditional spec, and the ones with the slightly wider neck and G-Force probably falling on its arse again!
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125
    dindude said:

Jookyjr said:

The ironic part is that when the 2015s came out at that inflated price, it was thought that this was an attempt by Gibson to end the 'blow-out sale' culture, as it could ultimately only damage the brand. And now the range represent the most heavily discounted Gibsons that I have ever seen.

Meanwhile I'm still undecided on the VS junior I can have once I supply updated card info to Amazon. hmmm

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Adamski said:

They could make it an annual event... Black Gibson Day.
    I don't think Mel would be very happy.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    terada;878293" said:
    dindude said:

Jookyjr said:

The ironic part is that when the 2015s came out at that inflated price, it was thought that this was an attempt by Gibson to end the 'blow-out sale' culture, as it could ultimately only damage the brand. And now the range represent the most heavily discounted Gibsons that I have ever seen.Meanwhile I'm still undecided on the VS junior I can have once I supply updated card info to Amazon. hmmm
    Take the option on the junior and return it if you don't like it?

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
     (I was just a bit surprised that Wez complained about the absence of a manual... that - in reality - has never even been available in hard copy format. But... hey... we've discussed that one... and Wez has come out of it as the good guy that he truly is.) :)
    to be fair I did ask on here about it a few days ago, I learned I was not the only one without a manual but some had received them with guitars that did not even have a G-force with them - so it was unclear.  Is everyone now saying that no-one got a manual?

I do understand, and approve of, the general move towards online manuals.  But most products these days are designed in a way where you can ignore the manual totally.  You should only need to look at it for the more advanced functions, and probably only when the item is new to you.  They don't give you a manual because they know you will never look at it - that's a sign of a well designed product

The question I had with the G-force is how to restring the guitar - not an advanced feature but something quite crucial to the function of the guitar.  The answer is a combination of button presses and flashing lights I will struggle to remember - so the manual will likely be needed every time I re-string the guitar - certainly if I forget to do it for a few months.

I have played with the gain levels and calibration and agree they are functions well suited to an online manual

• rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    WezV said:
    rlw said:
    WezV said:
    mort said:
    I don't think a full G Force manual is supplied as standard. You just normally get the quick start guide.
    i do think that is a major flaw with the system.

You're at a gig and break a string.  You can't remember which combination of key presses allows you to restring. You never printed out the full manual.  There is no wi-fi.  ???

There's a moral in there somewhere :-)
    I know.  and work are being arsey about printing off personal stuff recently so that means doing it at home.  Not used my printer in years so it probably won't work - this is going to cost me

Maybe I should go speak to that nice customer service advisor, Ranjit from amazon.  See if he can help??
    Send me your postal address and I will put a copy in the post for you.........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • WezV said:
     (I was just a bit surprised that Wez complained about the absence of a manual... that - in reality - has never even been available in hard copy format. But... hey... we've discussed that one... and Wez has come out of it as the good guy that he truly is.) :)
    to be fair I did ask on here about it a few days ago, I learned I was not the only one without a manual but some had received them with guitars that did not even have a G-force with them - so it was unclear.  Is everyone now saying that no-one got a manual?

I do understand, and approve of, the general move towards online manuals.  But most products these days are designed in a way where you can ignore the manual totally.  You should only need to look at it for the more advanced functions, and probably only when the item is new to you.  They don't give you a manual because they know you will never look at it - that's a sign of a well designed product

The question I had with the G-force is how to restring the guitar - not an advanced feature but something quite crucial to the function of the guitar.  The answer is a combination of button presses and flashing lights I will struggle to remember - so the manual will likely be needed every time I re-string the guitar - certainly if I forget to do it for a few months.

I have played with the gain levels and calibration and agree they are functions well suited to an online manual

I'm putting off the whole restringing thing!  LOL.

When I'm down to just two functioning strings - and all I can play is Seasick Steve tunes... I'll check out YOuTube for advice.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I had to learn about the restringing quite quickly in order to get some lemon oil on the bone dry fretboard they seem to come with.
    Fret ends need attention as well but all in all the setup isn't bad...