Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Gibson 2015 deals (again)

What's Hot

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    RaymondLin;877054" said:
    [quote="4114Effects;876868"]See here's what puzzles me. I see 2 or 3 lovely PRS SE soapbar guitars in the classifieds. Good price, nice neck that's not got an extra acre of space either side of the strings, well made and really playable. Why is nobody fawning over these and falling over themselves to buy them? From what I've read in this thread they would easily equal these Gibson Juniors on playability and materials.

Is it just because these juniors say Gibson on the headstock and are made in the USA? If so I don't get it, as the G logo and USA construction seems not to be the mark of quality it once was.

Yup, like it or not, Gibson still holds that place in people's minds. That they have mojo. It is that headstock, especially when it goes with their classic shape. The inherent urge to have one of their guitars is just undeniable and willing to forgive the shortcomings.

I personally still can't bring myself to do it, the only one I would get is the CM because that is the only one out of the 2015 range without the brass nut and wide neck. First thing I would do is put normal tuners on, put some P90 or add a PAF humbucker with coil tap on it. Will take it to a tech for that along with a set up.

£330 for guitar
    £95 for set up including fret dress
    £5 for new strings
    £100 for pickups
    £100 for new tuners and coil tap wiring?

But then it becomes a £600 guitar……hmmm I've been here before toying with a PRS SE.[/quote]

But setup costs you'd have to factor in for any guitar surely?

Then the cost of other things on your list would be covered by the bits they replace, tuners would cost less than you could sell the robot ones for, pickups too wouldn't be much different. Also pups are again personal choice, there's nothing wrong with the Gibson ones, infact their p90s are brilliant.

For me on the junior I plan to replace nothing, I love Gibson P90s, I really like the tuners, and set ups I can do myself unless it needed some real work, which it doesn't.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Its also a crazy price because I could sell it for exactly what I paid in a second.   How many time can you say that on the purchase of a new guitar?

But could you? If you popped it in the classifieds in a week or so, wouldn't you just get a whole host of people saying "Hey, I know you bought that new for £285, you can't sell it second hand for the same price"? :)
    There's a few people (myself included) who would have been perfectly happy to pay £285 for a Junior on Friday but couldn't justify it / didn't have the cash around at the time / um-ed and ah-ed until they'd all gone etc - if one or two were to pop up here at the same price in the right colour I could definitely be tempted :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    Its also a crazy price because I could sell it for exactly what I paid in a second.   How many time can you say that on the purchase of a new guitar?

But could you? If you popped it in the classifieds in a week or so, wouldn't you just get a whole host of people saying "Hey, I know you bought that new for £285, you can't sell it second hand for the same price"? :)

I don't think most people are that stupid. They may question anyone trying to make a profit on it, but I don't think anyone here would mind a good deal being passed on to someone else. Some people have already offered to take any unwanted ones

I do wonder what it will do to the value of the more basic gibsons from the last few years - the melody makers for instance.  They seem to sit around the £300 mark normally - generally considered a bargain if they go below £250.     

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Sorry if I am repeating myself but for anyone who is gigging with a Les Paul (or any Gibson) the Junior at £285 was arguably the perfect back-up guitar. It sits on a stand.....tuning itself. It has a very solid hard case.

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    underdog said:
    @eSully how much did they refund you out of interest?

I got £57 refund for damage so the LPJ cost me £228 in the end. Not a bad deal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2015
    eSully;877113" said:
    underdog said:

I got £57 refund for damage so the LPJ cost me £228 in the end. Not a bad deal.
    That's a silly bargain :D Yet 3 months ago it'd have cost £600 or more as b stock or ex demo.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    underdog said:
    That's a silly bargain :D Yet 3 months ago it'd have cost £600 as b stock or ex demo.
    Crazy isn't it - Even now the LPJ's on Amazon warehouse are back up to £450. Thanks for encouraging me to complain again, worked out well. I stayed honest so my concience is clear, no missing keys :D
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    I've always wanted to try the Bogner PAFs, so if I get the CM, thought might as well, hence the budget of £100. The price is just what I would do, not what is necessary for everyone.
    eSully;877122" said:
    underdog said:

That's a silly bargain :D Yet 3 months ago it'd have cost £600 as b stock or ex demo.

Crazy isn't it - Even now the LPJ's on Amazon warehouse are back up to £450. Thanks for encouraging me to complain again, worked out well. I stayed honest so my concience is clear, no missing keys :D
    There will be plenty of people getting refunds by having things missing, so at least you deserved one for an actual fault.

I can't wait to actually have mine of Xmas, even though ita actually sitting in my bedroom in its box at the moment, I want to be a like a child and be excited for Santa to come :D

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    edited November 2015
    underdog said:

@welshboyo I'm not sure of any comparable guitar you could buy for £300 that was USA made (so US hardware and electrics), nitro finished with a good hardcase.

For me I have always wanted a yellow junior, I loved the tuners and the neck on the '15 range, but as a "bedroom guitarist" had no need for a 10th guitar. Once they hit half of the rrp, it became an affordable luxury item.

I wasn't and never have lusted after a PRS SE, or any other guitar. The 2015 guitars will divide opinions you either a) like most of the features b) can live with them for the right price or c) hate them and wouldn't buy no matter what. A lot of people fell in to category b when they went below £300, and who can blame them.
    If you have bought one as you genuinely liked the features then you have had a bargain and well done..

However, if these were purely snapped up as they had that name on the headstock and are a US made instrument then there's something gone wrong here..especially if some of those who now have them were the ones slagging them off earlier in the year when they were released...

There again, for the prices I suppose it was worth the risk.....

I've just reasoned with myself LOL
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • piercelmnopiercelmno Frets: 119
    edited November 2015
    Yeah I'm a bit gutted...I actually genuinely wanted one...as is! Should've bitten the bullet but was sure my dv247 order was going to come good.

I'm annoyed at the people reselling on eBay.
    piercelmno;877175" said:
    Yeah I'm a bit gutted...I actually genuinely wanted one...as is! Should've bitten the bullet but was sure my dv247 order was going to come good.

I'm annoyed at the people reselling on eBay.
    Keep your eye on Amazon I'm sure they sold a bucket load of them and some will come back, some will end up not getting paid for and go back on sale.

• mortmort Frets: 720

The returns won't necessarily be re-sold at the Black Friday price.

They currently have a new red LPJ in stock for £399 and a Warehouse return which is £445 ?! 

• I'm predicting they'll have similar discounts on boxing day.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1819
    welshboyo said:
    However, if these were purely snapped up as they had that name on the headstock and are a US made instrument then there's something gone wrong here..especially if some of those who now have them were the ones slagging them off earlier in the year when they were released...

This is the internet, the place where people regurgitate information/opinions they've heard from others. I'm sure there were lots of people who slagged off the 2015 range without having properly tried them - as well as those who've decided that the 2015 "features" can be forgiven at the bargain costs.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    welshboyo;877166" said:
    underdog said:

@welshboyo I'm not sure of any comparable guitar you could buy for £300 that was USA made (so US hardware and electrics), nitro finished with a good hardcase.

For me I have always wanted a yellow junior, I loved the tuners and the neck on the '15 range, but as a "bedroom guitarist" had no need for a 10th guitar. Once they hit half of the rrp, it became an affordable luxury item.

I wasn't and never have lusted after a PRS SE, or any other guitar. The 2015 guitars will divide opinions you either a) like most of the features b) can live with them for the right price or c) hate them and wouldn't buy no matter what. A lot of people fell in to category b when they went below £300, and who can blame them.

If you have bought one as you genuinely liked the features then you have had a bargain and well done..

There again, for the prices I suppose it was worth the risk.....

I've just reasoned with myself LOL
    That's mostly why I resisted, it would be nice to have it but ultimately I don't think it'll get played.
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    I'm predicting they'll have similar discounts on boxing day.

Not on Juniors, DCs or Standards as they've sold all their stock. Possibly Trads, Deluxe & Classics?
  • My LP Jr is due Wednesday and if I dont get on with it it's going in the classifieds at the price I paid - if for some bizarre reason people complain that it should be cheaper than that they are dreaming and I'll happily just put it as an auction and let it find its own price on ebay instead
  • My LP Jr is due Wednesday and if I dont get on with it it's going in the classifieds at the price I paid - if for some bizarre reason people complain that it should be cheaper than that they are dreaming and I'll happily just put it as an auction and let it find its own price on ebay instead
    I would be interested and would still think it was fair - likely if it returned to amazon it'd be a long waiting game to get it at that price anyway
  • mort said:
    I'm predicting they'll have similar discounts on boxing day.

Not on Juniors, DCs or Standards as they've sold all their stock. Possibly Trads, Deluxe & Classics?
    I'm concentrating on the CM (6 currently in stock, "more on the way" this morning). 

I've got a 2010 Junior with the correct neck width, no matter how cheap these are I don't get on with the wide neck so I'm not interested in the rest of the range. I wonder how many Sprint Run 2015 guitars are still avaialble?