Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Gibson 2015 deals (again)

What's Hot

Comments

• JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    I must admit I'd have loved one of the LPMs - I played one and it was lovely, and neck widths don't really faze me anyway. Didn't have the money, but not the end of the world.

As for people getting arsey if somebody moves it on for what they paid for it, I can't quite see that when these are obviously daft prices. The LP with P90s somebody sold in the classifieds the other day was for a little less than they had paid, but I don't think it needed to be, and it certainly didn't hang around for long. It would be the same with any of these Juniors I think

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Amazon may get more Gibson EU stock to firesale boxing day or NYD. Depends if any left to shift at Gibson.

I suspect this disposal of assets is highly tax efficient for both parties and boosts turnover and cash flow.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    welshboyo said:
    What gets me is that these 2015's got an absolute slating on here and other forums when they were full price, mainly due to the features of the 2015 range and many stated that they wouldn't even entertain owning one...

Now all of a sudden they are bargains and the whole issue with neck sizes, brass nut and childs scrawl on the headstock have gone in favour of them being a "Gibson" - a brand which has had QC issues before 2015....

I wouldn't have had one at any price. I could have got one on Friday, but wouldn't have considered it, and no doubt there are quite a lot of others who felt the same, but maybe aren't participating in this thread?

I got a 2008 SG special for £300, and recently saw a superb 2012 SG Standard that I could have had for £600...I'd rather put £280 towards something I actually covet, rather than get something just because it's cheap, that has features I could never get on with (no matter how trivial some of you might think they are).

But good for those who've got them and aren't put off by the 2015 features, I'd say you've got a bargain :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I wasn't planning on getting a 2015 at any price but ended up getting a Traditional as a bit drunk completely unnecessary impulse purchase.  Absolutely love it and the neck is super comfortable (and massive so maybe not to everyones taste), probably my favourite guitar neck.  

I think they're legit fantastic guitars even at RRP tbh.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10103
    Well, my Les Paul Junior is lost in the post :(
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Wazmeister;877300" said:
    Who's the courier? If it's my Hermes then maybe the obvious contents of the box got too much to resist.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10103
    underdog said:
    Wazmeister;877300" said:
    Who's the courier? If it's my Hermes then maybe the obvious contents of the box got too much to resist.

Through Amazon, so who knows ? I'm just waiting to see the outcome...
    Wazmeister;877368" said:
    underdog said:

Wazmeister;877300" said:Well, my Les Paul Junior is lost in the post :(

Through Amazon, so who knows ? I'm just waiting to see the outcome...
    Should be able to click on the order details in your account and track parcel.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 719
    These do look great but if I had a guitar that took me "10mins to get used to the neck" I'd sell it.

I have a PRS SE Bernie Marsden and the neck on that is slightly wider than my R9 and it annoys me every time I pick it up to be honest so I always make the effort to play the R9.

The Gibson 2015 necks even look wide in the photos... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2015
    andyoz;877476" said:
    These do look great but if I had a guitar that took me "10mins to get used to the neck" I'd sell it.

I have a PRS SE Bernie Marsden and the neck on that is slightly wider than my R9 and it annoys me every time I pick it up to be honest so I always make the effort to play the R9.

The Gibson 2015 necks even look wide in the photos... 
    I don't get what people talk about getting use to different necks, most of us have an electric and an acoustic, I'm willing to bet very few of them have neck profiles that anywhere near each other. Strings are in the same place so long as its not physically painful to play I'm happy.

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    Electrics varying from 38 -46mm, acoustics, basses, fanned frets, ukuleles etc.

I own all and don't really struggle to switch between them. Although it may take a minute or two to adjust when going between the extremes...

But the wide neck on these will always divide the crowd.
    WezV;877518" said:
    Electrics varying from 38 -46mm, acoustics, basses, fanned frets, ukuleles etc.

I own all and don't really struggle to switch between them. Although it may take a minute or two to adjust when going between the extremes...

But the wide neck on these will always divide the crowd.
    I can understand (kind of) not liking it, but the not being able to get use to it I can't. The biggest adjustment I make is from Les Paul to SG, where everything feels 2 frets to the left, it just takes a couple of minutes of glancing at the neck while making shifts up or down before everything is normal.
    mort said:
    well that hardly seems like a great deal
  • WezV said:
    mort said:
    well that hardly seems like a great deal
    I was waiting in the wings seriously considering a purchase...

The £500 price soon put that thought to bed
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    now if it was natural I think it would be a good price
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I kind of like the vulgar pin striping 

If you are going to do it wrong you might as well go all out
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The natural ones were lovely, and the cherry looked pretty cool too. I can't help but think that those two colours would have been significantly better received with nickel hardware though.
  • The natural ones were lovely, and the cherry looked pretty cool too. I can't help but think that those two colours would have been significantly better received with nickel hardware though.
    Amen to that. For £499, in natural with black hardware it's tempting. With nickel it could well be in my basket...but I'd rather not get a guitar through amazon due to the usual QC issues.
    littlethoughts;877684" said:
    guitargeek62 said:

The natural ones were lovely, and the cherry looked pretty cool too. I can't help but think that those two colours would have been significantly better received with nickel hardware though.

Amen to that. For £499, in natural with black hardware it's tempting. With nickel it could well be in my basket...but I'd rather not get a guitar through amazon due to the usual QC issues.
    Got to be honest, Amazon seems the perfect place to buy if you are worried about faults they have no problem at all offering partial refunds for tiny faults, and their returns policy is excellent.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 719
    edited November 2015
    Jesus those cherry red LPJ push my buttons.

I expect to see them on many a pub stage getting thrashed because ".....it was so cheap I've got a spare at home"