• DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    There is one style of bike I don't understand .....The Supermotard
    why ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Dominic said:
    why ?
    Funny you should say that. Having recently sold bike no.2 and gone back to being a one bike bike owner (one guitar is never enough right), I had a serious hankering for a Husqvarna 701 supernoto….totally impractical but I bet it’s a riot to ride, especially as I’m surrounded by country lanes. So far I’ve resisted temptation…
    but they're meant to have road tyres......proper supermotards are used on tracks with slicks.......don't see the point
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31975
    Dominic said:
    why ?

Don't know. A friend of mine lent me his 650 Husaberg, it was pointless on rural roads as it ran out of gears at lower speeds than I would have ridden them on a mid-sized commuter bike, and the only fun you could possibly have with them in an urban environment is if you took the number plate off, or actually just stole one.   

I can't see the point of a 0-50mph hooligan bike unless you happen to own a karting curcuit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited June 2023
    Thing about these enduro, hybrid, off-road jobs is that most of my riding has been off road/O.R. bikes and I wouldn't really want anything over 250-350, you need to be able to pull it out of ditches and bogs, some of those things you wouldn't be able to lift if it fell over on the road.
    Never mind anything else.

Plus it's OK doing the standing up bit but how long can you keep that up, they need a big spongy seat, like old trail bikes had. 
    Dominic said:
    but they're meant to have road tyres......proper supermotards are used on tracks with slicks.......don't see the point
    Ah I see what you mean. Very niche, that’s for sure. 
    I like the idea of a bike that can go anywhere though. Gives the full 'freedom' a bike can offer. 
    edited June 2023
    My dad had a SP1000 Spada when I was a kid, that was a nice bike to sit on the back of when I was wee.

His mate had a mk2 le mans that I always loved.
    It was a bit nippier but rarely lost me and my dad for long. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3073
    edited June 2023
    Dominic said:
    why ?
    Would you class this a Supermotard?

yes, epitome of it.....a hybrid of an Enduro and a sportbike .
    As the name suggests,they were a French Obsession 20 years ago but I just don't understand the purpose of them other than a wheelie machine
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31975
    On a boring note, I just put a new rear tyre on the back of my wife's Triumph, and have noticed that the rear tyres on all of our other three bikes are at less than 1.5mm.
    It's going to be a sweaty, expensive week. 
    Dominic said:
    … I just don't understand the purpose of them other than a wheelie machine
    To be fair I could say the same thing (for me) about Harleys. Apart from the last bit of course.  

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1659
    edited June 2023
    Dominic said:
    yes, epitome of it.....a hybrid of an Enduro and a sportbike .
    As the name suggests,they were a French Obsession 20 years ago but I just don't understand the purpose of them other than a wheelie machine
    They are generally lightweight with  reasonable power, which gives them decent power to weight ratios - and when you couple that to a stiff frame and decent brakes, and usually a high-spec suspension setup, you get something that accelerates pretty quickly, and then brakes, stops and corners really well. They can carry huge corner speed because of the light weight and stiff frames.

The breed in general are crap for the open road and sitting at anywhere over about 60 mph for any length of time admittedly, but light and nimble as fk for when you're just on the mood for something you can let rip a little now and then. A proper supermoto/hypermotard would be a great tool for running rings round adventure bike types on the curvy stuff (and off-road if you had the right tyres ), and you'd also get to play with the sports bikes on roundabouts and anywhere else you have to stick to non-jailtime speeds
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2668
    edited June 2023
    Arty shot of the new bike down at Brighton this week. This is the third one I’ve owned, I must like them. Off to Germany next week for a long weekend, then a two week tour in mid July. No idea of where I’m going yet, just going to rock up in Calais and see what happens!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lovely tool for that kind of trip
    ,May she carry you safely and swiftly
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5799
    edited June 2023
    Yep, lovely looking machine. 

My weekend is looking a bit like this. 

Hit the road after work today and landed at Ragley Hall for the ABR Festival just after 4:00. 

There’s already thousands of bikes (yay) and people (boo) here and it doesn’t open properly until tomorrow!

I’m camped next to a German chap who has come all the way from SW Germany just for this weekend!  He’s been telling me that he had his bike shipped to the US and did a 48,000 Kilometre tour over there on it, including both the Dempster and Dalton Highways. 

Bastard!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    lovely tool for that kind of trip
    ,May she carry you safely and swiftly
    Thank you. Can’t wait, the chance to switch off, chill and just ride.
    Haych said:
    Yep, lovely looking machine. 

My weekend is looking a bit like this. 

Hit the road after work today and landed at Ragley Hall for the ABR Festival just after 4:00. 

There’s already thousands of bikes (yay) and people (boo) here and it doesn’t open properly until tomorrow!

I’m camped next to a German chap who has come all the way from SW Germany just for this weekend!  He’s been telling me that he had his bike shipped to the US and did a 48,000 Kilometre tour over there on it, including both the Dempster and Dalton Highways. 

Bastard!
    Have a good one, weather looks good this weekend.

Love your bike btw.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5799
    ^ thanks mate. I quite like it too…… until I see a nice GS TE, then I want to remortgage the house and do a round the world tour lol. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3453
    edited June 2023
    I’ve had a couple of supermotos and similar, the last being a Vitpilen 701. The point of them is that they are light and they are fun to ride 

Round here with plenty of tight single track twisty roads they’re great. Plenty of quiet single track twisty up / down gravel festooned roads to have fun on. Also great for commuting on. Not great for touring but having said that I have toured the Picos (from Scotland) on an MZ Baghira. Anything is possible if you have the desire. 

You do need to follow the original French idea though and have a decent amount of CCs available or you do run out of steam quickly - if you’re running a motocross derived machine for instance. I lived in France at the turn of the
    millennium and the supermotard then was an XR650 / Tenere or similar with 17” rims, decent tyres and extra braking power. A 660+ 4 stroke is ideal. The Husky 701 / KTM 690 motor is good up to a ton + if you can hang on and pretty user friendly too, once you fix the hopelessly shite clutch slave. Long travel suspension and an upright seating position with good leverage makes them ridiculously easy to chuck around once you’re used to it.