Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    I went out again today for a bit- but only to take the bike to my local Yamaha dealer to have it checked over following the tumble.

Need new handlebars and pegs as they were slightly bent- and I decided to get a new front brake lever and clocks casing as they both had a few scratches on them.
    Other than that the bike is fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    what I want is someone who does 6 month Insurance cos I don't go out in the cold....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I went out again today for a bit- but only to take the bike to my local Yamaha dealer to have it checked over following the tumble.

Need new handlebars and pegs as they were slightly bent- and I decided to get a new front brake lever and clocks casing as they both had a few scratches on them.

:)
    Glad to hear you got away with fairly light damage.  
    edited January 2014
    boogieman said:
    octatonic said:

:)
    Glad to hear you got away with fairly light damage.  
    Cheers- yeah me too.
    I was really lucky to not have the forks or fairings messed up.
    I might replace the top box too as it has a big scrape down it- but it isn't urgent- I just don't like it being tatty.
    Still cost me £250 though, although that included a service.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508

£250? Ouch :-O.  Lucky you didn't break the plastics though, that's stupid money to fix. No wonder you see so many couriers riding rat bikes. 

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    Good idea to get it checked out after your off.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    edited January 2014
    Wow, £250 thats as painful as the tumble isnt it? Like boogieman says, they will write the bike off if the plastics are damaged because of the price....it`s mad.
    Im after a top box if you want to pass yours on and I dont mind how beaten up it is as long as it fits a lid, it`ll never be a permanent fixture on my bike, just a temporary attachment.

Loving the old bike pics on this thread, I only ever rode scooters in my teens and crashed most through stupidity.
  • "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2014
    I never thought an RT could work as a cafe racer but that looks superb. Pics when you finish the project please!
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited January 2014
    Spent a LOT of time researching and deciding where I was going to go for my next bike.  Went all around the market looked at new and old. Almost all modern bikes are IMO ugly, over specced and overpriced. In the end the close runners-up were Honda CB750, Bonney and the ZX-9 (not a looker but an incredible bike).  Finally went for something classic, quality and bomb-proof that I will make my own, re-do from the ground up. Be done by end March I hope.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited January 2014
    Where do you put your gonads?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Spent a LOT of time researching and deciding where I was going to go for my next bike.  Went all around the market looked at new and old. Almost all modern bikes are IMO ugly, over specced and overpriced. In the end the close runners-up were Honda CB750, Bonney and the ZX-9 (not a looker but an incredible bike).  Finally went for something classic, quality and bomb-proof that I will make my own, re-do from the ground up. Be done by end March I hope.

I ride with a guy who has a zx9r, nice bike but for me the single headlamp and style of a CB or a Bonney has a timeless appeal........Plus you don`t need to wear a leather romper suit.

Does the riding position on those cafe racers cause pain in the hands and wrists?

• Guess it depends on the individual, but for short journeys not an issue, for longer ones the slipstream supports you. I will set my clip-ons fairly flat nearer to the RS style.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    57Deluxe said:
    Where do you put your gonads?

It's alright, that's a girl's bike...

(runs off... :-*  )
  • octatonic said:
    I'm definitely considering some sort of stability control & ABS.
    I'm not sure that these are necessarily good things. You might think so after an off, but don't over-react because that is probably what caused the off.

Go for a two stage strategy - first get a small 'big bike' to do more learning on and then you can make a more educated judgement about what you want and what you need from a big 'big bike'. With more experience your views will change.
    I agree. My current bike has ABS and I'm not a fan. It makes the front brake feel a bit spongey and it lacks feel, so doesn't inspire the confidence it's supposed to tbh. The brakes on my old bike were awesome, masses of bite but easy to feather, way way better.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Bloody hell, the weather down the South-West's still a bit ropy, isn't it? :o just fetched the NTV back from Bristol, talk about a baptism of fire - horizontal rain, 40mph cross-winds, the works! Still, if that's the toughest ride I do all winter I can live with it...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm off the bike until March now.
    I need to pick it up from the dealer in a few days but then I am putting it under cover for a couple of months.
    IanSavage;124009" said:
    Bloody hell, the weather down the South-West's still a bit ropy, isn't it? :o just fetched the NTV back from Bristol, talk about a baptism of fire - horizontal rain, 40mph cross-winds, the works! Still, if that's the toughest ride I do all winter I can live with it...
    Kudos to you for doing that ride. I wouldn't!
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    boogieman said:
    Kudos to you for doing that ride. I wouldn't!
    Didn't have much choice in the matter really, had to be home this evening and the longer I left it the darker it was going to get! Not going to deny, a fair few arse-clenching moments when an unexpected gust came in while I was overtaking, but made it! :)