Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33967
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Did my theory test today.
    Got 48/50 for the multi choice bit and 61/75 for the hazard test.

DAS in March once the weather gets better.
    Good stuff. Well done. I'll look forward to a ride out with you
    Cheers, and I'm looking forward to it too.

I'm looking at doing some advanced rider training once I get through DAS.
    Have you thought about what bike you might get after the DAS?

I'm looking at Suzuki GSX & GSF, Honda CB600F, Yamaha FZ6 & Diversion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    All decent choices. The Suzi's would need fettling constantly if they're going to stay rust free though, they're notorious for it. The Divvy is VERY safe, you might get bored with it quite quickly, decent commuter bike though.
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Gosh. Always in a rush, aren't you? Hope you won't always be dashing on a bike. 

Once you've passed and got a bigger bike, there are loads of different options to consider for more training. Bikesafe is one - which would then recommend IAM membership or similar - that might be a more efficient use of your money. IAM (run by MAM in West London) uses volunteer observers for one-to-one sessions which makes it more affordable to gain experience. Some great riders are involved. That might not be right for you - but I think there is a range of activities you could think about before a day school. 

But that is a good range of bikes to look at. As with guitars, you need to pick the right one for you. I love my Bandit, but others diss them all the time (actually, some people diss my tele too - wrong year, wrong mods, etc.). But I think with a first big bike, you can only buy what is available at the time. I spent ages looking, first for one particular sort and then for another kind, and they were all over-priced and something didn't feel right. Came across the Bandit through a friend of a friend and it was love at first sight. 
    edited January 2014
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Gosh. Always in a rush, aren't you? Hope you won't always be dashing on a bike. 

Once you've passed and got a bigger bike, there are loads of different options to consider for more training. Bikesafe is one - which would then recommend IAM membership or similar - that might be a more efficient use of your money. IAM (run by MAM in West London) uses volunteer observers for one-to-one sessions which makes it more affordable to gain experience. Some great riders are involved. That might not be right for you - but I think there is a range of activities you could think about before a day school. 

But that is a good range of bikes to look at. As with guitars, you need to pick the right one for you. I love my Bandit, but others diss them all the time (actually, some people diss my tele too - wrong year, wrong mods, etc.). But I think with a first big bike, you can only buy what is available at the time. I spent ages looking, first for one particular sort and then for another kind, and they were all over-priced and something didn't feel right. Came across the Bandit through a friend of a friend and it was love at first sight. 
    No fear, mate- I'm definitely not in a hurry on the bike- I just want to feel confident and be able to ride properly and  in a way that I'm not a danger to others or myself.

The idea with the further training is to learn about how to ride safer, not faster.
    The super bike school is probably badly named- it is similar to IAM or Bikesafe, but done on a track where they deconstruct cornering and throttle control.

I will check the others out though, Bikesafe is the other one I was looking at.

Re bikes- I love the look of the Bandit, and I don't really care about what *some* people think about how owning a certain bike = masculinity.
    Most of the bike people I've met don't hold those views though- I reckon it is a small but vocal minority that say things like that, and the rest of us think those people are knobs.
    I like the GSX650 a lot- basically a Bandit with fairing and up-specced a bit.
    It wil come down to what I can find that is in (order of preference) very good condition, low-ish miles, not too old and the right price- i.e. under £3k.

I need a couple of years no claims- I looked at insuring a Street Triple the other day- it was going to be £800 a year as a new rider, despite being over 40, no convictions or points- I guess they get stolen and/or wrecked a lot.

My YBR is £200 a year, a Bandit/Hornet only slightly more.

This is at my local Yamaha dealer:

I like the look of it but maybe it is a bit expensive for what it is?
    What do people think?
    boogieman said:
    All decent choices. The Suzi's would need fettling constantly if they're going to stay rust free though, they're notorious for it. The Divvy is VERY safe, you might get bored with it quite quickly, decent commuter bike though.
    I think for a first big bike I'd be better off going for a safer option, but I want a bit of fun too.
    I don't mind doing a bit of fettling- the plan is to do a motorcycle maintenance course quite soon and try to do some of the work myself.

Actually to that point- how often should I be cleaning/checking the bike?
    I wash/polish the YBR once a week, and check the tyres, check and oil the chain, check/tighten the clutch, check the brakes, brake oil, check the motor oil.

Is there anything else I should be doing or should I be doing it more/less regularly?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    It's mainly rust related problems on the Suzukis as the paint finish is a bit on the mean side, so if you're doing a weekly hose down already you should be fine. The mechanics, particularly on the bandit, are pretty bulletproof and because it's a relatively old design most of the issues are known or have been sorted.

Your checks seem good, actually probably a bit OTT if anything. I can't even remember the last time I did anything to the clutch, although mine's hydraulic rather than cable operated. Sounds like you're well on top of things.
    boogieman said:
    It's mainly rust related problems on the Suzukis as the paint finish is a bit on the mean side, so if you're doing a weekly hose down already you should be fine. The mechanics, particularly on the bandit, are pretty bulletproof and because it's a relatively old design most of the issues are known or have been sorted.

Your checks seem good, actually probably a bit OTT if anything. I can't even remember the last time I did anything to the clutch, although mine's hydraulic rather than cable operated. Sounds like you're well on top of things.
    OK, cool- thanks.
    I check the clutch regularly because I sometimes drop into neutral rather than 2nd.
    I tightened the clutch cable and it fixed the issue (I think).
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251

octatonic said:
    boogieman said:

OK, cool- thanks.
    I check the clutch regularly because I sometimes drop into neutral rather than 2nd.
    if youre having shifting issues, it can be the clutch adjustment or possible trans oil.. if its old it makes a difference, same if someone put the wrong grade in there..
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

Jaden said:

octatonic said:
    boogieman said:

OK, cool- thanks.
    if youre having shifting issues, it can be the clutch adjustment or possible trans oil.. if its old it makes a difference, same if someone put the wrong grade in there..
    Hi mate, 

The bike is still under warranty and was recently serviced at the local Yamaha dealer.
    They have a good rep, so I guess I should trust them to do it right?

octatonic said:
    Jaden said:

octatonic said:
    boogieman said:

OK, cool- thanks.
    Hi mate, 

The bike is still under warranty and was recently serviced at the local Yamaha dealer.

ahhh, I had to ask because I bought an awful lot of "sheds" and the first thing to do was a proper service ;)

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

Jaden said:
    octatonic said:
    Jaden said:

octatonic said:
    boogieman said:

OK, cool- thanks.
    Hi mate, 

ahhh, I had to ask because I bought an awful lot of "sheds" and the first thing to do was a proper service ;)
    No worries at all mate- I appreciate the advice.

Been looking at the weather report- looks like it will be icy for a bit so no riding until it clears up.

BOOOO!
    yea it sucks.. I was out off road yesterday and it was horrible..  today was worse.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I did have to give up on a ride yesterday - hail and everything, visor misting up and I couldn't see more than twenty metres in front of me. Not worth dying for man points ;)
  • I was out yesterday - I knew the rain was coming but I just called into the shops on the way home. Wrong decision. When I came out it was stupid wet.

Re finding a bike - that Suzuki ticks all the right boxes but looks a bit expensive to me - but maybe a dealer guarantee is worth it.

After I bought my Bandit and started hanging around the Bandit Forum, then I started seeing some good bikes for good money being sold by forum members. I'll keep an eye out for you on that one - but you might want to join the online forums of your current favourites and see what comes up in the classifieds. 
    Good call Ben, just joined the bandit forum.

Yes I thought it was a bit expensive.
    Maybe a pile of folding notes would get them down a tad?
  • There's nothing much for sale on the Bandit one now - but I think that will change as we get closer to summer.

The pile of folding might work in February - but once the Summer comes (or looks like it might come) dealers are like everyone else and might choose to wait. 
    edited January 2014
    There's nothing much for sale on the Bandit one now - but I think that will change as we get closer to summer.

The pile of folding might work in February - but once the Summer comes (or looks like it might come) dealers are like everyone else and might choose to wait. 
    This is the dilemma I face.
    I will be selling my 125 and getting a 600.

If I sell the 125 in summer I get a better price for it but then buying in summer I am paying a premium.
    Otherwise I am selling the 125 and buying a 600 before I get my DAS, and not riding the new bike until I get it done, which will be in the better weather.
  • Keep an eye on London Bikers too.

I know it had a lot more miles, but this one went in Nov for cheap money
    Keep an eye on London Bikers too.

I know it had a lot more miles, but this one went in Nov for cheap money
    Yup, I'm on there almost as much as here at the mo.
    Good price for that one.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    IanSavage said:
    I did have to give up on a ride yesterday - hail and everything, visor misting up and I couldn't see more than twenty metres in front of me. Not worth dying for man points ;)
    That's the sort of thing a poofter would say.
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom