Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33968
    Says 'Sorry this person removed or deleted this image' for me.
    I don't have a photobucket account- maybe it is a permissions thing and you need to be logged in?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited February 2014
    Try again ?  Lately I have experienced some difficulties with getting pictures to 'take'      http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/AndyP335/Cafe conversion/Clipons110214.jpg

"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Good work! I'm going to be taking mine apart bit-by-bit when I'm not relying on it for work over the summer and matt-blacking it in me brother's garage...

...in other news, first dry, light(ish) voyage home from work I've managed this year. I'm off to make a three-mile commute into a thirty-mile thrash ;)

Yup, I can see them now- looking good.
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited February 2014
    Wondering whether I could have made a better job of the corroded section by the rear wheel, but end of, it's going to be a working bike.

Thinking about the ACF50 treatment too http://allyearbiker.co.uk/ if anyone has any views on that.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1337
    It's magic stuff.  I don't know about that company but it's quite inexpensively available from all sorts of places, and a little goes a very long way.  It's also stubborn enough to stay on until you clean it off.  Safe to use on just about anything (not brakes duh!) and one of very few products that I would say performs as well as you hope it will.
  • I'm not sure about ACF50. I think I overdid spraying my ht leads, so it ended up sticky, which clung onto bits of grit that I then had to clear away before I could change the plugs - and I think I'd sprayed over the grit. Yeah, my fault, but I never spray it on anything any more - except a rag which I wipe around selected bits.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Read only good things about ACF50. It even "self-heals", so creeps back over areas where it gets scuffed or washed away.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    My bike has been sprayed with ACF50, but I only sprayed the bits that get covered in road crap, saying that it`s not moved in weeks now...........bloody rain :(

Love a bit of matt black on a bike, looks the bizzo
  • TBH, it was black (rusty, pitted black) when I started. Block and snowflake wheels staying original (black & silver). Blacking up the new (Brit) cones though for a bit more contrast. The tank and seat are going to get a new pearlescent (but tasteful) paint job however. What with the new Italian grips and rearsets (Tommaselli/Ducati and Tarozzi/Guzzi)  it's going to be Post-modern Euro Retro ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Had my first visor-down winter sneeze whilst riding.
    Helmet needs a clean.

Reckon I am ready for my DAS now, if only the weather would sort itself out.
    Don't fancy doing it in the wet, more for comfort than anything.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Lol. Wait till you get your first fly in the eyeball :-S dear god it hurts like a mofo! I'd rather have a snotty visor than that happen ever again.

I hear what you're saying about the weather, I'd rather have it cold and dry than this miserable stuff for weeks on end.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not to mention bees/wasps flying into your helmet...

And no-one - except nutters - likes doing it in the wet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just finished day four of the das.   tests tomorrow!

Yes we've been lucky with the weather but I've managed to catch a couple of showers and I've been glad that I was out with an instructor for the experience.

It has been a really great week.  If nothing else I'm already a damn sight better car driver.  Fingers crossed I can add the letter 'A' to my license too.
    edited February 2014
    Good luck mate- I'm booking in sometime in March.

Question for you- once you've done the tests do you still need to book in with the DVLA for a practical test or is it all part of DAS through your riding school?
  • Good luck with the tests
  • @octatonic I booked onto the das with the riding school and they booked everything else. They are certified to provide the cbt and issue those but from there they are just a driving school like you have with a car. They took care of all the paperwork though so all I need to do is rock up (with the right documents - license, theory test cert and cbt.)

It's been quite a mentally tough few days - riding around trying to get to grips with controlling a completely new machine, in a place I don't know, while someone criticises every little aspect of your driving!  However, I wouldn't want it any other way and I can honestly say I've enjoyed every minute of it.  I've learnt so much!  Because of the time of year and weather I've been the only person doing it this week and so the whole thing has been one to one, and although mostly what I've learnt is defensive riding, a lot can be applied in the car.  (And I say that as an experienced car driver.). I would say that the level the road craft has been pitched at is closer to an IAM course than a car practical driving  test.

Get it booked it ASAP would be my advice!  I don't know anything about your riding but I'd be willing to bet my prs that you'll be a better biker for it, so why wait!  And I think you'll enjoy the experience too.

Oh and one last thing - I think you'll find life is just so much better on a bigger bike.  Apart from maybe picking it up off the floor (!) everything is easier on a bigger bike.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    edited February 2014
    Good luck for tomorrow, remember the life savers and cancelling the indicators and you`ll be fine.

This time tomorrow you`ll be buzzing.

@octatonic I booked onto the das with the riding school and they booked everything else. They are certified to provide the cbt and issue those but from there they are just a driving school like you have with a car. They took care of all the paperwork though so all I need to do is rock up (with the right documents - license, theory test cert and cbt.)

It's been quite a mentally tough few days - riding around trying to get to grips with controlling a completely new machine, in a place I don't know, while someone criticises every little aspect of your driving!  However, I wouldn't want it any other way and I can honestly say I've enjoyed every minute of it.  I've learnt so much!  Because of the time of year and weather I've been the only person doing it this week and so the whole thing has been one to one, and although mostly what I've learnt is defensive riding, a lot can be applied in the car.  (And I say that as an experienced car driver.). I would say that the level the road craft has been pitched at is closer to an IAM course than a car practical driving  test.

Get it booked it ASAP would be my advice!  I don't know anything about your riding but I'd be willing to bet my prs that you'll be a better biker for it, so why wait!  And I think you'll enjoy the experience too.

Oh and one last thing - I think you'll find life is just so much better on a bigger bike.  Apart from maybe picking it up off the floor (!) everything is easier on a bigger bike.
    Hi mate, 

Yes I'm waiting until March mainly because I don't have time before then.
    I am gagging to get it done though.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    edited February 2014
    Not to mention bees/wasps flying into your helmet...
    ^That!

One time a bloody wasp went down the inside of my helmet and ended up in my ear, buzzing like crazy and scraping at my ear with all its scratchy little legs. It was all I could do not to just jump off the bike (at about 50 mph). Panic braked & pulled in to the side of the road, and fumbled to try and get my gloves off to undo the strap - all the while this thing was buzzing in my ear at about 120dB and walking around.

As soon as I got the strap loose, I went to rip my helmet off. Of course, when you do that, your ears get squashed a bit as the helmet comes off. And any insects inside them. Bastard thing stung me in the ear!

:x