Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    THere is another option for dropping into nutral between 1st and 2nd - you might be being too gentle... just a thought ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    How hard should I be with it?

I tend to think I am firm with the bike.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Well... Neutral exists somewhere between 1st and 2nd... if you don't fully engage with the other gear it will fall into neutral (between other gears is much more of an adjustment issue mine occasionally does this between 4th and 5th which makes for lots of noisy revving on dual carriageways).

So it's not really about force, but moving the lever the full range up or down. Being assertive and positive about it. Also helps to make sure you lower your revs and properly engage the clutch (given how on bike riding the clutch in low gears is/can be normal you can get into overly feathery habits there).

Of course I have had 2/3 of a bottle of wine at this point in the sunday so perhaps logical thoughtses is not a great plan
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    The NTV engages neutral between 1st and 2nd altogether too often, apparently the gearbox is well-known as the weak spot on those bikes though. 
  • "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    Looking good, keep em coming.

The only thing that bugs me about my house is the no garage,I would love an old project bike to work on.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Good work. ;)
    Niiiice.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Nice to hear you're back in the saddle, Oct!

Nice to hear you're back in the saddle, Oct!
    Oh absolutely mate- I went out for a 4 hour ride today.
    It was lovely.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    If it wasn't for the fact that I'd probably kill myself on a bike because I'm such a mad bastard when I get to drive anything that's powerful, I'd buy one. Hence I'm seriously envious, but at the same time relieved. Does that make sense?

Oh, and perhaps I should add that the missus would be filing for divorce if I were to buy one,

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd probably kill myself on a bike because I'm such a mad bastard when I get to drive anything that's powerful, I'd buy one. Hence I'm seriously envious, but at the same time relieved. Does that make sense?

Oh, and perhaps I should add that the missus would be filing for divorce if I were to buy one,
    I have had several other people say exactly the same thing to me pretty much word for word.
    I find that curious.

Not having a go at you (quite the opposite- trying to understand it) but it seems odd to me that you would translate how you drive a car to how you ride a motorcycle.
    If you truly are a 'mad driver', does that mean you walk the same way- charging at the nearest wall, or parked cars, or other pedestrians randomly with no considering for your or their safety?

What I think is going on, at least with some of the people (maybe not yourself) is actually it is a bit of an excuse that people use because they don't want to die. 
    I have no problem with that myself- motorcycling is quite risky and I sometimes question my own decision to do it.
    I had 2 close calls today alone.

It IS a lot of fun though.

On the wife issue- I've heard several male friends saying 'the wife won't let me' or 'I'm not allowed'.
    Really?
    Some of these guys are cyclists and fairly serious about it.

Certainly for commuting, which is what I mostly do on my bike, I reckon motorcycling is no more risky.
    If I fall off again I have a very safe full face helmet, covec/kevlar jeans with knee and hip protection, a great jacket with loads of armour, including back protector, gloves with abrasion protection, very strong boots.
    When I cycle I do it in shorts and a tshirt, sneakers and a light helmet.

I'm not trying to question why you aren't motorcycling- but just used your post as a launching pad to discuss it.

Have I said how much fun it is? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I couldn't have said it better myself @octatonic
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1337
    Very true indeed.  I always say that if you're smart enough to think you'll kill yourself on one, you're smart enough to not kill yourself on one.  The people that get into trouble immediately are those that think they're invincible and infallible.

I've been riding for nearly 8 years, I don't tend to subject myself to the poorer conditions so much nowadays.  I got my license on a whim and whilst I consider myself to be good at it and good at taking care of my bike (SV650S currently) I don't really see myself as a "biker" and I'm not interested in IAM stuff or really anything that is massively quicker than my SV.  I don't do group rides any more because it's just a really good way to ruin a nice ride, and I don't really do touring any more either.  I commute on it when it suits me, and I love a blast on a nice day.  I used to love it to the point of wanting to be on the bike in all conditions, but I can live without that now.

R.e the mis-shift issue, lever adjustment.  You should be able to comfortably press the lever to the stopper in the up position.  A small adjustment downwards for the lever might help with that first upshift..
  • Luckily, my wife loves riding pillion. I hardly go anywhere on the bike without her. I'm not sure if it makes me a more cautious rider generally although I know that I need to be smoother with the breaking or her helmet clunks against mine. And if that happens too often, she punches me in the kidneys. 
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited February 2014
    When I got married, my wife said she didn't do pubs, indians, bands or pillions.  To which I retorted, "You should have told me before." Of course your social life changes utterly anyway and as the years have passed it has been fun reprising my bachelor days/youth doing things she won't do :-)

O/w with sinbaadi: I'm a fair weather rider now.  Still got back issues from long-distance riding in bad conditions when I was younger. I've had the big, fast bikes and they are - despite the wonderful engineering - frankly too heavy and too fast; the small ones are also too fast. The road is not the track:  you need some road presence, to be comfortable at 70 with a little in reserve to get out of situations, have good brakes and be able to manoeuvre in traffic. Then you need eyes in the back of your head, to be very defensive,  not do anything stupid  - and have some luck.

The worst thing about riding nowadays is there is no leeway: too much traffic, road furniture and potholes. In fact I don't really know why I still do it, except out of sheer defiance.

The people who manage the highways and byways in this country should be fired wholesale, and a campaign started to renew surfaces and clear the roads of traffic lights and most signs.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    octatonic said:

I have had several other people say exactly the same thing to me pretty much word for word.
    I find that curious.

Not having a go at you (quite the opposite- trying to understand it) but it seems odd to me that you would translate how you drive a car to how you ride a motorcycle.
    If you truly are a 'mad driver', does that mean you walk the same way- charging at the nearest wall, or parked cars, or other pedestrians randomly with no considering for your or their safety?

What I think is going on, at least with some of the people (maybe not yourself) is actually it is a bit of an excuse that people use because they don't want to die. 
    I have no problem with that myself- motorcycling is quite risky and I sometimes question my own decision to do it.
    I had 2 close calls today alone.

It IS a lot of fun though.

On the wife issue- I've heard several male friends saying 'the wife won't let me' or 'I'm not allowed'.
    Really?
    Some of these guys are cyclists and fairly serious about it.

Certainly for commuting, which is what I mostly do on my bike, I reckon motorcycling is no more risky.
    If I fall off again I have a very safe full face helmet, covec/kevlar jeans with knee and hip protection, a great jacket with loads of armour, including back protector, gloves with abrasion protection, very strong boots.
    When I cycle I do it in shorts and a tshirt, sneakers and a light helmet.

I'm not trying to question why you aren't motorcycling- but just used your post as a launching pad to discuss it.

Have I said how much fun it is? ;)

I went through loads of bikes and always ragged them..  the bigger the bike got, the higher the speed, I should have stuck to a 125 :)
    I didnt drive like I rode. the acceleration of a bike is intoxicating and cars just aint the same..  wait until youve seen a summer and hit the country lanes ;)  you might start to feel more like an endangered species, especially on a bigger machine.
    I might be ok now if I rode because I have mellowed considerably in the 13 years since I had a road bike but for now, the enduro riding is enough for me.

sinbaadi said:
    Very true indeed.  I always say that if you're smart enough to think you'll kill yourself on one, you're smart enough to not kill yourself on one.  The people that get into trouble immediately are those that think they're invincible and infallible.
    I disagree.  I am smart enough to know ill kill myself on one and smart enough not to buy another :)
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

Piccy no looky.
  • octatonic said:
    Piccy no looky.
    I can see 'em ?
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau