Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    cruxiform said:
    octatonic said:
    Hi Rob, yes it has been ages on this thread.
    TT sound very exciting- we are going next year I hope.

I've been commuting on my Stwiple and sometimes doing some longer rides, but I've mostly been waiting for the uni year to end and then looking at doing some big rides on it.

Still loving the Stwiple, although it is probably a bit small (physically, not cc) for me.
    It will be fine for another year.
    Looking at bikes for when we go back to Oz.
    I think a Moto Guzzi Griso and/or a Dyna Wide Glide will suit me nicely. ;)
    Sounds like you're still enjoying it. Any thoughts on longer rides?

Want to do a couple of 3-5 hour rides, down to Brighton on the twisties, up to Wales and such.
    Next summer, after I've finished with uni but before we head back to Oz I want to do London to Berlin.
    Not sure the Stwiple is the right bike for that though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805
    It'll be fine. If I can tour Europe on a Fireblade then you can definitely do it on the ST :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader

@cruxiform that's a very neat stand, what is it? Good work on the Blade.

This is mine, though it has risers & drag bars on it now. Have chucked the airbox and nailed on some Bandit carbs, and been playing with jetting. Not quite there but it's usable, thankfully, as the car is being worked on too. Was nice riding into town today.

edited May 2014
    @Corvus It's an abba stand, with a front lift kit. Not cheap but it's rock solid and if you do your own maintenance it's a godsend.

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/

Mind you I got mine second hand from ebay, saved a few quid. By the way that is a lovely GSX1100 you have there. I've owned a GSXR1100 in the past. Monster motors.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader
    It looks superb, cheers for the info and link. 
    The EFE, cheers, it's been very pesky but (touch wood) it's hanging together now.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Nice work from some here boys, glad you've been busy!

I've managed to drop mine AGAIN avoiding yet another knob-end car driver, bent the bars and scraped the tank this time which has sealed my decision to matt-black the whole bike (especially once I'd realised how easily the tank comes off). That's the job for half-term, then - turning a fairly non-descript NTV into a 'survival bike' :)

• FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    Goggles advice required.

Went for a ride in my new open-face helmet Saturday and even with cycling wrap sunglasses on got very teary.  As the whole point of open-face is better visibility, reluctant to go the whole vintage hog.  Need wraparound sun and wind protection.

"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    Im still always out and about on the SV, it`s a great bike and always fun to ride.

In a quandry now though whether to sell it after the MOT and go down the GSXR 750 route (or similar) or to hang on to it for another year and swap the front sprocket for 1 tooth less and new chain, I do like tinkering and its a 14 year old bike so good fun to tinker with.

Or just keep it and save for another bike!

Poole is on my list of ventures too.
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    @tone71 I've got a vague plan to change bike every year, just cos it's a hobby and I want to experience lots of different bikes. Not that I've thought about it a lot or anything but here's the next few after the SV for me:
    2015: cbr600rr 2007 or newer
    2016: gzxr750
    2017: Japanese 1000cc -prob fireblade, maybe Kwak.
    2018: European litre bike - assuming they've got something on the japs by then!

Problem with dropping a tooth on the front of the SV I reckon is that first gear is already pretty short, and you don't have a huge redline to play with anyway.  I'd go gsxr750 - supposed to be the DBs.

@iansavage sorry to hear about the drop, hope you are ok.  What happened?

Changing topic, but perhaps those of you with a few more years experience can advise....are Harley riders all wankers?  They're the only bikers that never exchange a nod round here..

Goggles advice required.

Went for a ride in my new open-face helmet Saturday and even with cycling wrap sunglasses on got very teary.  As the whole point of open-face is better visibility, reluctant to go the whole vintage hog.  Need wraparound sun and wind protection.

I have some Ray-Ban 4151's that don't make my eyes water.
    I wear them with a Shoei full face though- a mate of mine cracked his teeth when he crashed out wearing an open face helmet, I won't wear one.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Changing topic, but perhaps those of you with a few more years experience can advise....are Harley riders all wankers?  They're the only bikers that never exchange a nod round here..

Most of them are round here. Usually they're rich boys who only ever poodle round Box Hill on sunny sundays wearing expensive leathers. They obviously feel it's far too uncool to nod to us peasants.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    On the "nod" topic, doing my cbt last week and I think literally ever person on a bike we passed (which was a lot on a sunny afternoon) nodded, from scooter riders to cruisers to sports bike riders. I though that was pretty cool considering I thought newbies on 125's with dayglo bibs on would be some what looked down on.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    I nod to all apart from the Harley guys (waste of a nod, never get one back) and nobbers in their vests and shorts.

I would also nod at a training school / cbt as we have all been there.
    @tone71 I've got a vague plan to change bike every year, just cos it's a hobby and I want to experience lots of different bikes. Not that I've thought about it a lot or anything but here's the next few after the SV for me:
    2018: European litre bike - assuming they've got something on the japs by then!

Check out the BMW S1000r or S1000rr- they are both pretty astonishing.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

@iansavage sorry to hear about the drop, hope you are ok.  What happened?

Car driver, as per sodding usual ;) someone coming the other way flashed him/her out of a side-road, twat never bothered to look left and just pulled out. Had to put the bike on the floor or I'd have hit him/her :x  most aggravating thing is that I don't think he/she even noticed, just toddled on off into the sunset...

On the positive side, it's cemented my decision to turn the bike into something like this:

http://www.agentur3000.com/ntv/04.jpg 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Love it!
    Londoners- just back from doing a nights training at Oval Motorcycle Centre.
    Honestly, one of the best, most informative nights of my life.
    Really tremendous stuff and I will be working on my own bike from now on.

Cannot recommend them highly enough.
    You can do the training and then try to tackle some jobs (anything from chain and sprockets, brakes, head race bearings, swing arm bearings to a major service) by renting a bench and getting help along the way from the staff.
    Really fantastic business model and I am absolutely sold on how they teach you.
    I'll write some more about it tomorrow.
    Go do it!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    What a fantastic idea.  If only we had something like that in my neck of the woods.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Great idea. I can do oil changes & brake pads etc but I've had to farm out bigger jobs, like front fork seals.