Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805
    Great review fella. We have one that runs in Surrey, I'm going to look into doing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    Tried looking at the Surrey one, for some reason the page is "forbidden"!
    That's annoying. Maybe they're updating it. I hope so, Bikesafe sounds like money well spent.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Maybe book the London South one- it is still fairly close and they seem to run more often.
    Good call, might consider that one.
    Looks like the entire Bikesafe website is down at the moment.

Went for a ride on the bike along some of my favourite roads this afternoon and played with timelapse mode on the gopro. Turned out ok I think.
    edited April 2014
    Looks amazing.
    Which Go Pro do you have?
    I am thinking of getting one.
    Do you fit it to the helmet or the bike?
    edited April 2014
    I've got the original gopro hd hero, it's about 3 years old now but still returns great quality. I have mounted it all over the bike and on my crash helmet. The latest gopro has so many more features and is definitely worth the money imo.
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    I did the Bikesafe myself about 7 years ago and really enjoyed it myself plus I get 10% off my insurance iirc but my insurance is as low as it goes so I dont get any benefit from that but it was an enjoyable day out once you get over the fact that there is a bike cop in your mirror every time you look in it!

When I was doing it I was told that on the dual carriageway parts not to stick to the speed limit but drive and overtake as I normally would within reason of course, the worst part for me was the twisties as I did it on a brand new Harley 1450 Roadking and that just doesnt do twisties at all!!!

On another note, I got a factory recall for my BMW R1150GS today, does anybody have any info on the reason for the recall?
    Valar Morghulis
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Every time I visit this thread, I want a bike a little bit more.
    My V key is broken
    Had a great ride out today with a couple elf people from LB forum.
    London to Virginia Water and back.
    We had a 125 in the group so we didn't go that fast- it was good to do some group riding at modest speeds.
    Definitely progressing as a rider.
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    Just back from 3 days out on the bike visiting mates in Devon. Covered about 400 miles so nothing too ridiculous but what a great way to travel! Bike held up well and so did my bottom! Last stint I did was two and three quarter hours without a stop and I'm not sure I could do much longer - fingers and arse starting to go numb.

Took it pretty easy on the whole but what was really nice was how you don't spend anytime sitting in holiday traffic.  Must admit I am still quite nervous filtering - any guidelines or tips?

Almost all of my riding since the the test has been on the twisties in the new forest so I am being very well behaved when I get into city traffic. Looking for some opinions though - is it the accepted norm that bikers make their way to the front of the que at traffic lights (unless there is an obvious good reason not to)?

Next road trip for me is up to greenwhich on Friday which will be a whole different ball game...
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    @cruxiform good video - haven't heard the wildhearts for donkeys'!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    edited April 2014
    I usually filter, it's the only way to get through London traffic at a decent pace anyway. The recent law change makes it ok now, despite what some car drivers will be only too happy to tell you.

Tipswise, I'd say look well ahead. If there's any side roads, be aware that there might well be traffic coming out of them and wanting to turn across you: eg slow down or you might get
    sideswiped.
    Also, treat every other road user as a wanker while you're filtering: most of them are as far as motorbikes are concerned and you'll be right at least 50% of the time. I've lost count of the people who don't look, don't use mirrors, don't indicate, are too engrossed in their mobile to even see you or deliberately cut you up or block your path.
    Took it pretty easy on the whole but what was really nice was how you don't spend anytime sitting in holiday traffic.  Must admit I am still quite nervous filtering - any guidelines or tips?

Almost all of my riding since the the test has been on the twisties in the new forest so I am being very well behaved when I get into city traffic. Looking for some opinions though - is it the accepted norm that bikers make their way to the front of the que at traffic lights (unless there is an obvious good reason not to)?

We are the exact opposite then- I've done all my riding in the city- very happy there and happy filtering.
    The twisties I am still working out.

Re: filtering- you are legally allowed to filter provided you do it safely.
    The law has recently changed in our favour in terms of liability in case of an accident.
    Really though you want to avoid getting in that situation (no shit eh!) so as boogieman says look well ahead and filter slowly.
    You are progressing, even at 5 miles an hour, and that is better than being stuck in traffic.
    If you filter at speed it will make an accident more likely.
    I see a lot of crazy filtering- for instance a scooterist coming up on the left of a truck and then the truck turns left.
    A recipe for being a big red smear on the road.

I periodically pull in to allow those who are willing to filter at higher speeds to go past me.
    I'd rather be a few seconds later than have a bunch of bikers up my trumpet.

Look out for idiots walking in front of you or cars pulling in front of you.
    Side roads are a problem if you aren't forward planning.
    If you are forward planning then you will be slowing down as you approach a side road, so it will be fine.
    You'll see the gap between cars that you are filtering through, use this as a signal that a junction is there if your vision is obscured- IE don't peg it and try to rush through.

I find thanking people with a nod or a thumbs up if they move out of the way- not everyone is an asshole.
    The last thing I do is lose my cool and tell someone to fuck off- it doesn't work and you are likely to just antagonise them.

If you want to do a London ride at some stage then let me know.
    Or maybe Virginia Water and the surrounds?
    edited April 2014
    I do half and half, filtering in traffic, as said slowly and mindful of the assholes on their phones and then blasting out in the sticks!

Haven't rode through the New forest yet will aim to get down the A31 and then through at some point, Lyndhurst will be nicer on a bike for sure!

At lights I nearly always filter to the front of the traffic unless it is moving then just sit as a car.

Have not ridden in inner London yet and don`t plan to really, the suburbs is enough.

I`m always up for a ride out to anywhere if anyone fancies it.
    Looks like the bike safe website is back up.
    edited April 2014
    Great news!

Oh hang on, it's not working for me yet.
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited April 2014
    Did Bike Safe years ago but I'm going to do it again August 22/23 in Suffolk.  Riding is like guitar playing inasmuch as you are only as good as your current practice.  Signed up for a track weekend in France (Folembray) for July, not sure the old girl is really suited, but we'll give it a go.  
    Tried to post a photobucket pic but it won't 'take' - what gives ?

"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau