Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    edited April 2014
    Tone71 said:
    Maybe having 2 bikes is the answer, weekend blaster and upright cruiser (GS or similar)
    I'm already thinking about getting a second bike.
    Not right now- maybe after the summer- when the prices drop.
    Maybe something cruiser or classic-ish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    ZX9 is a good bike, fast all-rounder.  Maybe too fast. That's why I got rid of the 'busa - just too much of everything, although still probably the best bike 'in the world' (not the fastest accelerator, some sports bikes are just stupid quick).  That said, for long-distance I think it has to be upright, and the lighter the better, consistent with acceptable handling.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805
    Tone71 said:
    I went from Epsom to Weymouth and back via Southampton, loved it, some excellent roads, was riding with a mate and trying to keep up with his ZX9R was a task in itself.

I love touring on the bike and have taken to reading Ride magazine as there is plenty of trips to do in there, will be out around the south coast on Friday hopefully.

How was the Hayabusa? Im really leaning towards a GSXR as a next bike but not sure how long runs will be on one.

Maybe having 2 bikes is the answer, weekend blaster and upright cruiser (GS or similar)
    Are you thinking of the GSXR 1000? The K3 model is a great sports tourer by all accounts.
    ZX9 is a good bike, fast all-rounder. 
    I had a ZX9R for about 6 months, unfortunately it is the only bike I've crashed. They are very quick but are also a great all rounder. I never quite trusted mine after my off so got rid of it shortly after.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    I used to get Ride too. They did an article about touring NZ once, the bikes the tour company were hiring out were VFR800s. Not sure they'd be all day comfortable tourers tbh, I'd rather have something upright like a BMW
    edited April 2014
    Brilliant.
    Woke up this morning to find my bike on its side.
    I had to park it on the street last night because someone had parked in front of the entrance to my front garden and there wasn't enough room to manoeuvre the bike to get up the ramp.
    Bike was obviously knocked over- no idea who did it of course, they just drove off.

The (I think) alternator cover is scratched, handlebars are damaged, front brake lever is damaged, a few other scratches here and there.
    Probably a few hundred quid worth of damage all up.
    Pretty gutted about it- actually thinking about fixing it up and getting rid of it- you just can't have nice stuff in London.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Sheeeeyut. Sorry bud. :(
    That is very annoying.  Think you are right about London too.  I got out in 87, no regrets, despite it having cost me a lot of money over the years.
    boogieman said:
    I used to get Ride too. They did an article about touring NZ once, the bikes the tour company were hiring out were VFR800s. Not sure they'd be all day comfortable tourers tbh, I'd rather have something upright like a BMW
    The 1200s are the obvious way to go and the one area in which BMW still leads the field (sorry).  But my days of off-road, 2 or 4 wheels, are long gone.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

I fucking hate London :( gutted to hear that mate.

If I / we get a house with a garage over the next year I'm TOTALLY having two bikes, shall keep the current NTV as a winter hack and likely treat myself to a Sportster for pimping and polishing purposes...

• SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    Spider said:
    Just taxed mine this morning (Honda VTR1000) just need a bit of sun now an I can go for a blast.

Identical to mine!
    I must try and get out on it more often this year - I confess to having become a fair-weather rider in my middle age.
    I'm 59 and do most of my riding in Europe, I don't mind riding in the wet but prefer nice dry roads, if I have to ride in rain then no problem, it seems to rain every time I go through Belgium but as soon as you cross the French border it always (well nearly always) seems to dry / warm up.

This is my second Firestorm, I got one when they first came out (a Black one) did about 36k miles on it then got this one, they're great bikes and I do like V Twins (I used to have a Ducati but I'm al right now).
    @octatonic

That is seriously shit mate. Try Scorch on LB for repairs?
    cruxiform said:
    @octatonic

It really is annoying.
    Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
    Is this what bike ownership is like though- constant annoyance and disappointment when people fuck with your shit?
    Not sure I am up for it to be honest.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    edited April 2014
    Sorry to hear that Octatonic, some real wankers out there.

cruxiform, I was actually looking at the GSXR600,R6, ZX6R or similar (CBR RR) hadn't really considered a litre bike, guess it`ll all come down to price in the end like everything!

The all black GSXR600 looks the dogs to me.

I watched Henry Cole in NZ, the ride and roads looked really nice, the Norway trip looked a bit grim though with the non stop rain.
    octatonic said:
    cruxiform said:
    @octatonic

It really is annoying.
    Is this what bike ownership is like though- constant annoyance and disappointment when people fuck with your shit?
    Yeah, it's really annoying, but don't let one knob-end ruin your enjoyment of what is a brilliant pastime, I've been riding since I was 11 years old (now 59) an I still get a buzz from a blast out on the bike.

Try going for a ride out before making any rash decisions. ;)
    edited April 2014
    Double post ?

• octatonic said:
    cruxiform said:
    @octatonic

It really is annoying.
    Absolutely gutted for you chief.

That's not what bike ownership is like, but unfortunately it is what London, and living in the middle of millions of other twunts is like.

I hope it doesn't put you off mate.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Spider said:

This is my second Firestorm, I got one when they first came out (a Black one) did about 36k miles on it then got this one, they're great bikes and I do like V Twins (I used to have a Ducati but I'm al right now).
    Snap again! I had a black one when they first came out - possibly second year, with the red (not yellow) trim.
    Got that stolen in 2002 and bought this blue one new in 03. Great bikes.
    edited April 2014
    I've been down to Jack Lilley and bought some crash protection (bungs, end bars sliders, cotton reels etc) and ordered the replacement parts (new cam cover, new rear brake lever, front brake leaver) which are getting installed on Tuesday.

I need to replace the fuel tank at some point too- or at least have the damage filled and sprayed, new decal on one side.

This is turning out to be quite expensive.

Part of me is thinking any further damage will just be left- it is a street fighter & maybe meant to be a bit rough around the edges.
    Thank fuck I didn't buy a sports bike or something with a lot of chrome.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    edited April 2014

Only just found this thread being a new member an all.... started at the beginning, skipped a bit to find the excitement of Octatonic passing his test, then ordering a STREET TRIPLE!! (My Bro has one) and I was all excited, then to find some ignorant tosser knocked it over.... Mate I'm gutted for you.

A mate of mine bought an R6 as a first 'big' bike, 6 weeks into ownership someone reversed into it in the carpark at work, knocking it over, and it ended up being a write off, what with all the plastics.

My Bro, on his newly acquired and immaculate Striple, tried to ride off with the disc lock on (doh!) and dropped it, bending the brake lever and causing a couple of dents.

I urge you not to let it put you off. Fight through the sleepless nights because there is NOTHING like your first proper bike. Mine was a CB500 about 12 years ago, and I have had a succession of bigger, faster bikes since then, currently a KTM Super Duke which makes me want to do stupid things whilst laughing manically :D, but I don't think I'll ever fully recapture the feeling of the old CB. It's special, and you will want to protect your steed like a precious two-wheeled child, grow with it and love it irrationally. It'll slip your mind sometimes, as you get used to owning it, then suddenly you will remember, it's yours, and if you want to, you can ride her just for the sake of riding her. I once went to get cash out, and I rode 30 miles to the cash point (instead of 5) just because I could.

Stick with it fella. Yes it can hurt,(physically and emotionally!), and yes it be expensive, but the payoff is more than worth it.

Oh and it's a whole new world of GAS - wait til you need, (yes need), 3 different pairs of gloves for different times of year/weather...!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom