Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I test rode a Harley Iron 1200 today at a demo event. I’ve ridden a Harley before so had some idea of what to expect, albeit that one was a 2003 model so I expected good things from a brand new 1200...

Wrong. Rode like a bag of spanners. For a 1200 it was sluggish from the off, and the vibrations, rattles and squeaks were unbelievable. I’d read about the Harley vibrations and the associated little foibles, but I didn’t think they’d be quite that bad.

It’s a lovely looking bike but never worth £9k in a month of Sundays. Riding wise, my 23 year old Suzuki knocks spots off it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    I’ve been test riding bikes here in Singapore in anticipation of the I’ve and the purchase of a new bike in a few weeks time.
    This would be a daily rider and to go touring on.
    I don’t see myself buying anything other than a GS Adventure.
    They are just too good a bike to buy anything else.
    Nothung else comes close for my use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    @octatonic Have you managed to try the new Triumph Scrambler 1200 yet? The KTM Adventures are worthy alternatives to them too
    @octatonic Have you managed to try the new Triumph Scrambler 1200 yet? The KTM Adventures are worthy alternatives to them too
    Scrambler is nice but I couldn't do London to Geneva in 2 days on it.

I've had a KTM SA before.
    Fine machines but I found the wind protection a bit of a nightmare.
    Something about the geometry that directed all the wind up under my helmet.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4328
    edited July 2019
    I really need to find the time to get out on my T'bird more.

I also find the wind protection is less than brilliant even with the tall screen. 
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    I chopped in my 1200GS for a Multistrada 950 after many test rides and much indecision. 
    GS was a fantastic bike, but I stopped doing any sort of long distances, bought a comfortable cruising car and wasn’t using the bike. The Multi is much more nimble and a bit cheekier too, ergos are possibly slightly better for me. Most of my riding is on smaller A and B roads where it excels. Plus I’ve always wanted a Ducati :)

Having said that I've done a few 2-3 hours trips recently and I would love the option of having a big fat touring bike as well. Keep eyeing up older K1300GTs..... one bike isn’t enough!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jaytmon said:
    I chopped in my 1200GS for a Multistrada 950 after many test rides and much indecision. 
    GS was a fantastic bike, but I stopped doing any sort of long distances, bought a comfortable cruising car and wasn’t using the bike. The Multi is much more nimble and a bit cheekier too, ergos are possibly slightly better for me. Most of my riding is on smaller A and B roads where it excels. Plus I’ve always wanted a Ducati :)

Having said that I've done a few 2-3 hours trips recently and I would love the option of having a big fat touring bike as well. Keep eyeing up older K1300GTs..... one bike isn’t enough!
    Congrats.
    Is it a new Duc?

I haven't decided on a second bike yet or not.
    I fancy a Bonneville and have room for one in the garage but trying to decide between a new T120 or the new Speedmaster.
    octatonic said:
    jaytmon said:

Congrats.
    Is it a new Duc?

I haven't decided on a second bike yet or not.
    I fancy a Bonneville and have room for one in the garage but trying to decide between a new T120 or the new Speedmaster.
    Thanks. It’s on a ‘67 plate, had about 1500 miles on it. Actually bought it end of August last year, but I’ve only been seriously riding it for the last few months - the older I get the more of a fair weather rider I’m becoming! 

I hired a Multi 1260 for a few days last summer too, which was an impressive beast but too much of a touring machine for what I needed. And as a newly released Ducati they were very pricey.

Multi950
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    edited July 2019
    @octatonic I take it you like your fairings/screens then? I’ve done it a couple of times on nakeds (most recently on my T100); highways are dull at the best of times but I can’t say the lack of wind protection has ever really bothered me - each to their own I guess! I’m eyeing up the scrambler as my “next” bike, but not sure when that’ll be tbh
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Has anyone had a test ride on the new Triumph Speed Twin? Am thinking about chopping my KTM Super Adventure in for one at the end of this year. Interested to read about ride reports... other that those already done in the press. 
    @octatonic I take it you like your fairings/screens then? I’ve done it a couple of times on nakeds (most recently on my T100); highways are dull at the best of times but I can’t say the lack of wind protection has ever really bothered me - each to their own I guess! I’m eyeing up the scrambler as my “next” bike, but not sure when that’ll be tbh
    I just don't want turbulence- especially on the touring bikes, where I am riding all day and riding fairly quick.
    I'd rather have either a high screen or no screen.
    I have a theory which is all bike designers designs bikes for people about 5ft9 and below.
    All of the adventure bikes I've had have had an uncanny knack for directing wind over the screen and up under my chin, which gives me the sensation of having my head ripped off.
    The worst was the KTM 1190 I had- it was a nightmare over 80- even with the screen removed there was something about how it moved air around the bike that just irritated me. Quite a few people had the same issue and I think it is personal- how tall you are, how straight you sit, how much you move on the bike.

The GSA with a Puig screen is fine for me.

On naked bikes I don't bother with any screen and it is fine because you get all the wind on your chest, rather than up under your lid.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    octatonic said:
    I just don't want turbulence- especially on the touring bikes, where I am riding all day and riding fairly quick.
    I'd rather have either a high screen or no screen.
    I have a theory which is all bike designers designs bikes for people about 5ft9 and below.
    All of the adventure bikes I've had have had an uncanny knack for directing wind over the screen and up under my chin, which gives me the sensation of having my head ripped off.
    The worst was the KTM 1190 I had- it was a nightmare over 80- even with the screen removed there was something about how it moved air around the bike that just irritated me. Quite a few people had the same issue and I think it is personal- how tall you are, how straight you sit, how much you move on the bike.

The GSA with a Puig screen is fine for me.

On naked bikes I don't bother with any screen and it is fine because you get all the wind on your chest, rather than up under your lid.
    I'm 6'3" and can't ride any of the big adventure bikes over about 55mph without horrendous buffeting and noise. 
    I'm fine with sportsbike screens and big touring screens on things like Aspencades or Electraglides, but that upright dirtbike thing with vertical screen about a foot away is bloody awful unless I sit on the pillion seat and put my chin on the tank. 

I briefly had a 1000 V-Strom and spent a fortune on screens, even ordering one with an adjustable wing from the US. That actually worked, but only at one speed at a time - if you set it to give a smooth airflow at 75mph it would be crap at 60, and vice versa. 
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 547
    Ok, so it looks like I’m going to get a bike next week... so can someone educate me on helmets (fnar fnar!) ...I’m on a budget and thinking open face with a visor ... it’ll be all dry weather riding cos I’m in QLD where it hardly rains!
    cm01 said:
    Ok, so it looks like I’m going to get a bike next week... so can someone educate me on helmets (fnar fnar!) ...I’m on a budget and thinking open face with a visor ... it’ll be all dry weather riding cos I’m in QLD where it hardly rains!
    Find one that fits your head shape.
    I wear Shoei because Arai and other brands simply don’t fit me as well.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    cm01 said:
    Don’t scrimp on the helmet - it is the most important safety item you’ll own. Go and get fitted.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4992
    edited August 2019
    cm01 said:
    Go and get a proper fitting from someone trained to assess helmet fit. Different manufacturers have different shapes and so do human heads. My head suits Shoei and not Arai, for example. 

Full face helmets protect your full face from crash damage and open face ones don't - even with a visor. They might not look as cool, but neither do your front teeth when they're sticking through your top lip.  Just sayin'.

Whatever you buy, have fun and stay safe. 
    TheBigDipper said:

My head suits Shoei and not Arai, for example. 

Melonheads unite!!!
  • octatonic said:
    TheBigDipper said:

My head suits Shoei and not Arai, for example. 

Melonheads unite!!!
    I'm in shape....  Round IS a shape! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I got sick of sales reps asking me "how much is your head worth?"

Mine's worth £24.99, give or take, in a lid which has passed exactly the same safety testing as a 500 quid one. 

Your tyres are six inches wide and the road is eighteen feet wide. If that's a tightrope you don't think you can walk today you don't need a "better" helmet, you need to stay in bed. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom