Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• Oh I’m very much an on-road rider (with ambitions of green-laning), it’s just I like more classic-styled bikes and love the Bonnie/Scrambler styling!  =) I’d forgotten about the Multistrada though - and the Hypermotard as well!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Oh I’m very much an on-road rider (with ambitions of green-laning), it’s just I like more classic-styled bikes and love the Bonnie/Scrambler styling!  =) I’d forgotten about the Multistrada though - and the Hypermotard as well!
    The Hypermotard is a a hilariously fun bike but you really can't tour on it better than a Bonne.

I also much prefer classic bikes but there isn't a classic or neo-classic bike that allows me to do 300+ miles a day in comfort.
    I get the GSA next week and looking around for a T100/Scrambler type thing to dick around on the weekends closer to home.

• @guitargeek62 ;
    why not the T120?
    Or, how about the BMW R nineT Scramber?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    @guitargeek62 totally unfaired bikes are not an issue, it's screen buffeting which is the problem for me.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    edited September 2019
    @roundthebend - no reason really, I just prefer the other two Triumphs on paper! I’ve had a sit on both and absolutely loved the riding position of the Scrambler 1200 - it honestly felt like it was made-to-measure! I do like the RnineT too, it’s on my shortlist but I forgot to add it to my initial post 

@octatonic - I hear you! My T100 is fine for long rides generally, but I don’t like taking long routes via motorways on it. I had to ride down to Newquay and back from London again last week (290miles each way) and my hips and knees were bloody sore at the end of it. I’ve already lowered the pegs as much as I can too, and put a higher (and comfier) seat on there. It was comfortable enough down to Italy last year, and the longest days ride was just shy of 500 miles but I was aching badly by the end of it!

@octatonic - I hear you! My T100 is fine for long rides generally, but I don’t like taking long routes via motorways on it. I had to ride down to Newquay and back from London again last week (290miles each way) and my hips and knees were bloody sore at the end of it. I’ve already lowered the pegs as much as I can too, and put a higher (and comfier) seat on there. It was comfortable enough down to Italy last year, and the longest days ride was just shy of 500 miles but I was aching badly by the end of it!
    Even on a super-comfy Adventure bike you will still hurt at 500 miles.
    I can do 300 mile days back to back but a 500 mile day requires rest for 47 year old me.

I'm an advocate for a two bike garage (of course I am) - something big and practical for every day and a fun old retro thing to mess about on come the weekend. 
    It is like having an SUV for carrying stuff and a sports car for Sundays.
  • Agreed - that was a definite exception to the norm! 300 days are quite common for me on trips though. My daily commute’s only about a 15 mile round-trip, though that’ll likely be increasing to a weekly 400-mile round-trip (mostly motorway) in another 18 months or so, hence looking for something slightly more suited to it.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    @guitargeek62 - if you’re going to look at the GT type sport tourer don’t bother with the S1000XR, have a real look at the Superduke GT. 

I had an XR and it’s a pile of shit compared to the KTM. It’s an incredible bike, and capable of absolutely everything day to day riding throws at it. I did 2000 miles in a week just after I bought mine and it didn’t miss a beat.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • Good to know, thanks. The S1000XR doesn’t really appeal anyway tbh, nor do most sport tourers! 
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    The SD GT is a great bike. I only got rid of mine because every time I went out on it I ended up in "race" mode, and on one of those it means that you're going to be travelling VERY quickly. Oh, and the suspension was a bit too firm for my 56 year old bones - even on the touring setting. The KTM Super Adventure that I now have suits my purposes a lot better.  
    MtB said:
    The SD GT is a great bike. I only got rid of mine because every time I went out on it I ended up in "race" mode, and on one of those it means that you're going to be travelling VERY quickly. Oh, and the suspension was a bit too firm for my 56 year old bones - even on the touring setting. The KTM Super Adventure that I now have suits my purposes a lot better.  
    I cam close to buying one, but the wind protection was better with the GS.
    Does the 1290's luggage still leak?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    octatonic said:
    MtB said:
    Mine doesn’t 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:
    octatonic said:
    MtB said:
    Mine doesn’t 
    Good to know- it was a problem on the earlier bikes, esp the 1190.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    PC_Dave said:
    octatonic said:
    MtB said:

I never buy the bike manufacturers luggage - so for the Super Adventure I have a rack and Givi topbox fitted (and that never leaks), augmented by an Oxford Products tail pack (with rain cover) when I'm touring.
    MtB said:
    PC_Dave said:
    octatonic said:
    MtB said:

I never buy the bike manufacturers luggage - so for the Super Adventure I have a rack and Givi topbox fitted (and that never leaks), augmented by an Oxford Products tail pack (with rain cover) when I'm touring.
    I've got Bumot luggage for the GSA- had them previously on my old GSA.
    Really good product.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    edited September 2019
    I've just remembered that Ducati brought out an 1100 Scrambler too - I doubt it'll be what I'm after in terms of ergonomics, but I'll add it to the shortlist anyway!

1. Triumph Scrambler 1200 (XE, obviously!)
    2. Triumph Speed Twin
    3. BMW RnineT Scrambler
    4. BMW RnineT Urban G/S
    5. Ducati Scrambler 1100
    6. KTM Super Adventure 1290 (probably out of budget)
    Oddly I can't find anything out of Japan that fits the bill either. The closest would be the Yamaha XSR900 (I started with an XSR700), but I don't see it being much of an improvement in comfort over distance to what I've already got.

I've just remembered that Ducati brought out an 1100 Scrambler too - I doubt it'll be what I'm after in terms of ergonomics, but I'll add it to the shortlist anyway!

2. Triumph Speed Twin
    3. BMW RnineT Scrambler
    4. BMW RnineT Urban G/S
    5. Ducati Scrambler 1100
    Oddly I can't find anything out of Japan that fits the bill either. The closest would be the Yamaha XSR900 (I started with an XSR700), but I don't see it being much of an improvement in comfort over distance to what I've already got.

Africa Twin?
  • I've just remembered that Ducati brought out an 1100 Scrambler too - I doubt it'll be what I'm after in terms of ergonomics, but I'll add it to the shortlist anyway!

2. Triumph Speed Twin
    3. BMW RnineT Scrambler
    4. BMW RnineT Urban G/S
    5. Ducati Scrambler 1100

Kawasaki Vulcan
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
  • @octatonic and @roundthebend nah, they're ugly and I'm vain!  :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom