Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Whatcha playing?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    I think it's well beyond silly and into completely ludicrous.

Also I like that everything the tabloids say about the GTA games, the SR games do it much, much worse.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Saints Row and Borderlands both have the sort of humour that I love to see in games so much more than ultra realism 
    Likewise.

I am also playing Crysis 2, which was on offer on Steam.

Unfortunately I hit a savepoint in a rather awkward position, and haven't yet worked out how to survive beyond an additional 3-4 seconds.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    If it's the same bit I got stuck in Crysis 2 then you have my sympathies. I distinctly remember there being a checkpoint right before a kill/die/fall down point which frustrated me somewhat...

THere's a few games like that... but I prefer them to the games that have save points so spread out that you can lose hours and hours redoing the same 10 minutes+ section only to get killed to death a nano second before the save point
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Myranda said:

A genuinely open Elite style game with only one real floor (aside from things lacking due to its age) and that floor is the AI... enemy ships only fly in straight lines - with occasional jerking movemnts to change course. This means they frequently smash headlong into each other and you. In the majority of the make there are three enemy ships. One of which causes insta-death on impact with you unless you have the top shield configuration. Then you get to the sectors where the main story ends and you have enemy capital ships... but the game designers had apparently no concept of balance so your shields are so good, weapons are useless against you - but it still takes ages to kill the big enemies because your guns have to recharge all the time... but the AI poor piloting is still in evidence... Enemy capital ships manouver at the same speed as their smaller ones, and their erratic movements once again cause them to kill allies and you instantly... 

Little ships will generally get out of the way of big ships but not vice-versa. If you're flying a wee M5 around and there is a big old M1 cominatcha you're going to want to get out of his way because he won't even notice the blip on his shields.

And each ship has an RPM manouvering stat so I'm not sure what you mean about them being the same. A capital ship could take a full minute to do a 180 while your nippy little Buster can do a 360 in less than a second.

• I've played the BF4 Beta a fair bit now - control changes aside, it feels much the same as BF3 with some minor tweaks that I haven't quite noticed yet. There was some serious input lag (and lag in general) a lot of the time though, and not on my end so I'm hoping that'll be fixed prior to release.

Either way, it was great to be playing BF again as I hadn't since last May! I'll be picking this one up on release and losing my month off over xmas. Think I might skip Arkham Origins on launch and wait until I'm either bored of GTA:V*, or until the GOTY edition eventually comes out.

*Probably won't be too long, I've done the story, most of the side missions, and I'm at ~$1Bn with each player... not sure if it's worth keeping for GTA:O yet or not?
    Myranda said:
    If it's the same bit I got stuck in Crysis 2 then you have my sympathies. I distinctly remember there being a checkpoint right before a kill/die/fall down point which frustrated me somewhat...
    The irritating thing is that in Far Cry you could go back two autosaves or so, so if you made a booboo just before hitting a checkpoint it wasn't the end of the game.

I think it's salvageable, it's just going to take a bit of luck...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    I'm really enjoying Far Cry 3 which is odd because I hated the second one. 

I initially found it a bit frustrating that when you died you go back to the nearest spawn point which can be miles away, but once I realised that you could create new spawn points by reclaiming pirate bases it got a lot more fun. 

I think the mark of a great open world game is the capacity for emergent behaviour and I had a brilliant example the other day. I was staking out a pirate base with a camera to prepare a stealth assault when I accidentally disturbed a Tiger in the brush. The tiger started stalking me, but I couldn't shoot it without drawing attention to myself. While trying to get away from it I disturbed one of the pirates who didn't see me but spotted the tiger and so panicked and shot at it. The tiger went bezerk charged him and in the confined space of the base wiped out all the guards leaving me to walk in and claim the base uncontested. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    The pirate base captures were the best bit of FC3. Did every one I could manage using wildlife. Get a couple of tigers on the loose and you barely have to kill anyone :)

I'd happily buy a game of just that stuff. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    edited October 2013

Gran Tourismo 5, (PS3) and the last time I played was a long while ago. (probably last winter in fact)

PS3 is mostly used as a Blueray player 

edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    The pirate base captures were the best bit of FC3. Did every one I could manage using wildlife. Get a couple of tigers on the loose and you barely have to kill anyone :)

I'd happily buy a game of just that stuff. 
    I'm ignoring the plot and wandering about claiming bases and climbing radio towers at the moment. Great fun. 

Has anyone tried Blood Dragon? 
    It looks really cool.
    I liked a bit of variety - particularly toying with them. Silenced sniper rifle; shoot one, then move and hide. Rinse and repeat!

Or setting fires on one side of the camp and seeing what happened.
  • One of the bases is at the base of a large cliff.  You can stalk the based from the top of the cliff, and its clear the approach is to make your way slowly down one side.  At this point in the game i had completed most of the main arcs so was up for a bit of fun.  I parachuted from the cliff top into the middle of the base, released a caged tiger and hid in a hut while it ate most of the pirates.  Great fun.

Just finished GTAV. Underwhelmed doesn't cover it as far as the story goes (I picked option C, for anyone else who's got there). I love everything else about the game but the story was a bit meh compared with Red Dead. 

Anyway, Hotline Miami is currently £2.43 with PS+ so that's downloading now :)
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1141
    Option C is the best one to choose.

You can go back into mission select once done to play out the other 2 options.

wibble said:
    Option C is the best one to choose.

You can go back into mission select once done to play out the other 2 options.

That's what I figured. Still pissed off I didn't clock the assassination/investment strategy until too late to win big, but not sure if I want to go back and start again. 
    Yeah I finished all the assasination ones really early on. Still you should have enough money at the end to buy most stuff.

It's only the big properties which I can't afford like the golf club but that doesn't give you any benefits. The amount of income from most of the properties takes far too long to pay back the initial purchase price.
    hmm interesting admission about Call of Duty Ghosts - ps4 is 1080p native and xbone is 720p (upscaled to 1080p)

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/call-of-duty-ghosts-offers-native-1080p-graphics-on-ps4-only-720p-on-xbox-one-1195090

tFB Trader
    Still playing Far Cry 3. 
    Now have 100% completion on North Island and all of the towers and drops on South Island. 
    Just the bases and side missions left to do.
    Just got Lego Batman 2 and Arkham Origins. Yay!

Family are staying so I can't play either of them. Boo!!