Fretboard woods: can anyone genuinely FEEL the difference?

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2016

I haven't really tried any exotic fretboards, what do woods that are courser grained than rosewood feel like?  I quite like the idea of something a bit rough under my fingers.  Not too keen on something especially oily though, cedar for example would feel weird, I hate the feel of it at the best of times, it's almost a skin irritant.  I like bare maple and rosewood though, you can bend fast on those and they are very tactile things that seem to absorb your grease without getting sticky, although maple needs wire wool once in a while.  Even a bare patch of alder on the body where your arm rests makes an amazing difference in speed and efficiency/less effort, especially when you get sweaty.  I think in fact my favourite guitar might be bare wood with no finish what so ever anywhere. 

I do have spatula fingers, although they are also long enough and builders hands, but there is a lot of area there for resistance.  Poly lacquer especially is painfully slow to do vibrato or bends with, literally painful.  I am a completely different players on poly lacquered maple boards, you can't bond with them or feel them at all as they have no tactility and I usually just end up more shreddy stuff that sounds boring.  That must surely be a fact if you have large hands and fingers?  Embarrassingly I've never played a nitro fingerboard, so don't know if it is any different to poly.  Cocobolo sounds like it might give me herpes though.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom