The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341
    Just scored a Master Touch for £20.

Need to source the following bits though...

Ash bucket
    Lid thermometer 
    Centre part of gourmet grill 
    Lid holder - I’m assuming that’s what the three small holes in the bottom part are for. 

The ash bucket is the only bit I really need as I can use the lid from my other Weber which has the built in clip. 
    Don't worry too much about the lid thermometer, they're next to useless. Buy a dedicated duel probe one instead. I've got one of these, and it's a cracking little bit of kit. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Stainless-Waterproof/dp/B01MG7KLCI

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    Just scored a Master Touch for £20.

Need to source the following bits though...

Ash bucket
    Lid thermometer 
    Centre part of gourmet grill 
    Lid holder - I’m assuming that’s what the three small holes in the bottom part are for. 

The ash bucket is the only bit I really need as I can use the lid from my other Weber which has the built in clip. 
    Don't worry too much about the lid thermometer, they're next to useless. Buy a dedicated duel probe one instead. I've got one of these, and it's a cracking little bit of kit. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Stainless-Waterproof/dp/B01MG7KLCI

I’ve got the same probe, it’s a great bit of kit. 
    The list was more what I’d need to make it a complete set really. I would like to find a lid bale though just so I can fill the holes but all I can find are the new style clip on ones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Right then all,

I have a family BBQ next weekend (mainly adults) of potentially 30 folk. 

I am thinking Pork Butt 6kg, a load of different sausages, Ribs, wings and sides. 

Do you think this is sufficient?

Youtube is telling me cook a Brisket too but as I’ve never done one of those I’m hesitant to try it then.

Any advice is welcome

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24651
    Assume 250-300 grams of meat per person. That's roughly 0.5lb

That pork butt isn't big enough even with the other stuff. If everyone wants a taste it will be a spoonful each!

Brisket is wonderful but you don't want your first attempt to be for a party!
    Assume 250-300 grams of meat per person. That's roughly 0.5lb

That pork butt isn't big enough even with the other stuff. If everyone wants a taste it will be a spoonful each!

Brisket is wonderful but you don't want your first attempt to be for a party!
    Maybe two pork butts? @fretmeister ;

I did think the brisket would be a real risk. It could go well but it’s likely to not. Can you reheat Brisket? Is it something I could try the day before?
    You can reheat brisket - ideally in a crockpot with a little water. It will taste less BBQ like and more like a pot roast then though.

I'd just do another pork butt - they are really difficult to get wrong!
    Aye, my Mrs thinks just do loads of burgers and sausages. I will do sausages but I was wanting to try do a bit of a different type a BBQ. 

So two pork butts? Maybe 4/5 racks of ribs. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    shaunm said:
    Aye, my Mrs thinks just do loads of burgers and sausages. I will do sausages but I was wanting to try do a bit of a different type a BBQ. 

what size BBQ do you have. 30 people is a lot to cook for even if it is just burgers and sausages.

you could part cook the burgers in the grill and finish them on the BBQ to speed thingd up

phil_b said:
    shaunm said:

what size BBQ do you have. 30 people is a lot to cook for even if it is just burgers and sausages.

you could part cook the burgers in the grill and finish them on the BBQ to speed thingd up

I’ve got a 57 Weber Smokey Mountain and a 57 Weber Kettle. 

I honestly was wanting to not do burgers. I love them but I fancied trying something else
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited May 2021
    Definitely go down a well-trodden path if you've got that many people to feed. Chances are, if you try something new, it'll be a disaster.

On the other hand, if you don't want them back again, go for it and hope for the best.

shaunm said:
    phil_b said:
    shaunm said:

I honestly was wanting to not do burgers. I love them but I fancied trying something else
    Ooo! The massive Smokey Mountain (I have the 37 / 18 inch, and the 57 kettle)

You can actually fit enough meat on the 57 to feed about 80 people if you stack it right. Like 8 pork butts!

I've got a great recipe for pulled pork sliders that got published if you want it - dead easy to follow.
    shaunm said:
    phil_b said:
    shaunm said:

Ooo! The massive Smokey Mountain (I have the 37 / 18 inch, and the 57 kettle)

You can actually fit enough meat on the 57 to feed about 80 people if you stack it right. Like 8 pork butts!

I've got a great recipe for pulled pork sliders that got published if you want it - dead easy to follow.
    Yes indeed please send it over! Excellent.

I don’t think I need to worry about space then. On the WSM I think a few Pork Butts and ribs should be ok. Especially if I buy a rib rack 
  • shaunm said:
    Right then all,

I have a family BBQ next weekend (mainly adults) of potentially 30 folk. 

I am thinking Pork Butt 6kg, a load of different sausages, Ribs, wings and sides. 

Do you think this is sufficient?

Youtube is telling me cook a Brisket too but as I’ve never done one of those I’m hesitant to try it then.

Any advice is welcome

When we have lots round I always do a chilli aswell, works really well on a bbq.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Is anyone having trouble buying pork butts?

The butcher told me he’d never heard of them, was I taking the piss, or was there an English translation he could understand. 

@chillidoggy yes I got that reaction. It’s just a bone in pork shoulder 
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    Sorry to derail the conversation but does anyone know where I can get a replacement ash catcher for a 57cm master touch? I’ve got the collar so just need the bucket/bowl. 

Everywhere seems to be sold out and any I’ve found over seas won’t ship to the uk. 

For the time being I’m gonna buy a galvanised bucket and cut it to fit but it’d be nice to get the proper part. 
    Is anyone having trouble buying pork butts?

The butcher told me he’d never heard of them, was I taking the piss, or was there an English translation he could understand. 
    American name!

Bone in pork shoulder, or just pork shoulder.