The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5238
    Reverend said:
    What's a decent cheap bbq to get? 
    I finally have a garden so would be nice to get something for chicken, steaks and burgers.  

Maybe also for finally touches.to briskets as well.
    You anywhere near Leicester? Got one of these you can wheel away for £40

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/weber-one-touch-original-57cm.html?amp=1
    Sadly im in london otherwise id definitely take that off your hands
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 396
    I had a go at beef ribs today, they were an absolute triumph. Highly recommended if you haven’t tried them.
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    Not strictly a BBQ but we made some tasty pizza over the weekend

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1652
    Evening all,

I am new to this BBQ lark. Last week I got myself a Weber Smokey Mountain and a 57” Kettle. 

My first cook on Friday was a set of pork ribs on the WSM. A bit of a learning curve in that the cut of ribs wasn’t quite right, the were not uniformed so the smaller ribs were over but the thicker ribs just right. I put on too much sauce and I didn’t score the membrane well enough. They looked like this..

https://www.instagram.com/p/COlQOW6s4rE/?igshid=18uvxsd46gvgy

Yesterday I tried a Beer butt Chicken. This I feel went very well indeed. It tasted wonderful. My wife was a little perturbed by the smoked pink chicken but I feel it tasted great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COqQMTHMgIs/?igshid=1d99756du91ew

Tomorrow I am trying a Rump Roast on the Kettle to see how that goes. 

This new found hobby could work out more expensive than tone chasing!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24903
    For pork ribs get rid of the membrane. Top tip - when you get a bit lifted up grab it with kitchen roll paper and you’ll be able to grab it properly.

The kettle is a better choice for ribs and do the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours with just a rub, 2 hours wrapped with some sauce (if you want sauce) or a bit of water / apple juice / beer, then a last hour unwrapped again.

Just set the kettle for indirect heat. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

For pork ribs get rid of the membrane. Top tip - when you get a bit lifted up grab it with kitchen roll paper and you’ll be able to grab it properly.

The kettle is a better choice for ribs and do the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours with just a rub, 2 hours wrapped with some sauce (if you want sauce) or a bit of water / apple juice / beer, then a last hour unwrapped again.

Just set the kettle for indirect heat. 
    Thank you, noted. This is what I find really interesting, it’s a whole different style of cooking. There’s so much to learn.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    What's the best coals?
    I bought a 57" B&Q kettle last year and mostly used the Zip coconut shell briquettes which seemed really good.
    I only did the standard things like burgers and sausages but I really want to try beer can chicken or slow roasts this year, are my coconut briquettes gonna do the job? I know you lot like the Weber coals but they're pretty expensive.
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    I use the briquettes you get from the supermarket (BarB Quick?) and have had no problems doing pulled pork with them. Their lump wood charcoal is utter shite though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444
    I use the briquettes you get from the supermarket (BarB Quick?) and have had no problems doing pulled pork with them. Their lump wood charcoal is utter shite though. 
    Yeah, I've found Bar B Quick to be pretty decent. Did a few slow and low cooks with it last year.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 484
    I found Weber's own briquettes to be the best out of the ones I've tried so far. Nice even sizes, hold their shape and last for ages. After knocking the ask off they relight just fine in the chimney too when place in with a few new ones.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Anyone got a smoker? My mate's just bought one and not long after he did, a pair of smoky-looking chickens on a grill appeared on his FB page. I thought it was a long process to smoke anything, so I've accused him of buying them from Nandos and setting it up to look like he cooked them. He swears blind that they were done on his smnoker..

How long does it take to smoke a whole chicken?

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 396
    It’ll take a few hours to smoke a chicken. Depends what temperature you do it at. 
    Anyone got a smoker? My mate's just bought one and not long after he did, a pair of smoky-looking chickens on a grill appeared on his FB page. I thought it was a long process to smoke anything, so I've accused him of buying them from Nandos and setting it up to look like he cooked them. He swears blind that they were done on his smnoker..

How long does it take to smoke a whole chicken?
    Chicken is better at higher temp to avoid rubbery skin. I can do a whole spatchcock chicken in 1 hour 30. Chicken absorbs smoke really fast too so it doesn't need a lot.

Non-spatch probably 2 hours - but if I'm doing it that way then I rotisserie it.

A pork shoulder can be 4-6 hours and a brisket can be 20 depending on many factors. But I do my brisket hot and fast - it's more risky but can be done in 6 hours then.

I like Weber briquettes - they last for a long burn and are uniform.

I use Weber lumpwood only for caveman style -no grill, meat goes right on the coals - can't do that with briquettes as the meat will end up covered in dust.

For simple burgers I'll use cheap briquettes sometimes - but half the time the bottom of the packet is just filled with dust. Bit of a rip off. You never need as many briquettes as you think.

• Weber briquettes are well worth the extra IMO, they burn much better and last ages. Plus when you're finished shut your vent off and what hasn't burned will be there for next time.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1634
    I only use the Weber briquettes in the smoker where I need a long burn time.  For everything else I buy sacks of "Restaurant grade" lumpwood.
    I’ve just done a Rump Roast on my Weber Smokey Mountain.

Came out well. Third cook in and I can safely say BBQ is for me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COvRY5MM44I/?igshid=x569g89nb761
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    Where's the best place for the Weber briquettes then?
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    DiscoStu said:

Homebase 
    phil_b said:
    DiscoStu said:

Homebase 
    Varies massively. I tend to stock up in November when a lot of places are selling them off cheap to make room.
    At that time I usually find Wowbbq to be the cheapest, and they have free delivery if you order enough. I get enough for the year and keep it in the shed.