The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot
1232425262729»

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1542
    I've been looking at the Joe mini, don't have a garden ect. The size means it can go in the back of the car on trips ect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 326
    Anyone with a WSM want to add an extra rack with a set of these:

https://prosmokebbq.co.uk/collections/weber-smokey-mountain-accessories/products/cajun-bandit-rack-extender

I’ve decided I’m not going to install mine but it’s well past the return period. £20 including postage? 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1426
    After years of using a Wilko special Outback gas bbq for backyard events from 4 to 10 people  I've gone to the other extreme and just taken delivery of a Kamado Joe Classic mk II.

After assembling it at the weekend with help from brother in law (286lbs - the BBQ - not the in-law) - and following waking up in a sweat one morning realising I'd paid HOW MUCH !!?!?!! for a BBQ I am now having to get serious about my grilling. Like very serious. 

Anyone else got one? 

More generally lessons learnt from charcoal / ceramic BBQs? With these things I take it the golden rule is not to get it too hot cos they retain heat for hours and you can't get it back down to the required temperature again..?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 326
    edited June 26
    CaseOfAce said:

More generally lessons learnt from charcoal / ceramic BBQs? With these things I take it the golden rule is not to get it too hot cos they retain heat for hours and you can't get it back down to the required temperature again..?

Congrats. I guess it depends on what you want to cook. You can do a pizza in that where you'd want the temps cranked up to the max!

If you overshoot temp on a long cook it won't necessarily ruin the entire process. As someone mentioned earlier, you can do a brisket hot and fast vs low and slow. You can adapt. Less important than the cooker temp is the meat temp. Get a good probe and learn how meat reacts throughout a long cook. 

But yes, if you're looking for bang on 120C then you'll want to let it come up to temp slowly over the course of an hour or so. It's beneficial to let coals settle in anyhow, and start to give of thin, wispy blue smoke rather than the initial thicker, white smoke in the initial stages of being lit.

There's never a rush with BBQ!

If you overshoot maybe someone here with experience can comment on how quickly the temps drop when you close the vents. 

I've not heard anyone with a ceramic cooker complain about the benefits of the heat retention. They are quite good units and easy to manage from what I understand. 

EDIT - I use an automated blower with a temp probe that keeps the temp of my WSM locked in wherever I set it. It's not remote so I cant check it from the house, but so long as it's got charge I'm confident that overnight my cook will stay right around the temp I set for 10 hours without checking. You can find units for Joe's as well.