The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    I have a full on barrel vault oven, the only real issue is that it takes a 3 hour burn to get it up to temp for Pizza cooking. I do like the look of the Ooni's and they seem decent value when you can buy them, every time I have looked to buy one for a mate they have been out of stock with fairly long wait times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Ah I see. Yes we can get the Ooni up to temperature in around 20 minutes so it's quite easy/flexible.
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    Asked our neighbours and they were cool with it. 

BBQ time!!
  • I've never considered bbqs to be antisocial... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Just arrived 1 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice - I promise you that first 90 second pizza will taste like mana from heaven :)

Simonh said:
    Nice - I promise you that first 90 second pizza will taste like mana from heaven :)

Had intended to try this weekend, but its due to piss down the next 5 days
    You only need a 20-30 minute window with that oven to be ready to cook, I am supposed to be doing a Pizza party this weekend for my other half and I need 3 hours to heat my oven up!
    Simonh said:
    You only need a 20-30 minute window with that oven to be ready to cook, I am supposed to be doing a Pizza party this weekend for my other half and I need 3 hours to heat my oven up!

Apparently it needs burning in without any cooking first, so need at least 90 mins and not getting that just now.

What I need is a covered outdoor kitchen.
    That is the next step for my Garden, at the moment I have some sail canopys giving sun coverage but they do bugger all about the rain.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    tekbow said:
    Just arrived 1 

Looks like Wallace and Gromit have been busy!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Attempting a smoked chicken tomorrow, any tips? 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24622
    Attempting a smoked chicken tomorrow, any tips? 
    Bit late but...

Spatchcock it. Do it hot - 375-400F (205C) so you get a nice crispy skin.

Bit of hickory as the smoke wood - but not too much as it will go bitter.

If you have an injector rig then injecting a 50/50 salted butter and olive oil mix into the breast meat is lovely. Add some garlic powder into the mix as well if your needle is wide enough.

If you haven't got a syringe for that, then put little slits in the breast skin and push some butter & garlic under the skin.

at 400F / 205C it won't be that long to cook - check it after an hour. Probably only need 90 mins. Take the temp from all over the bird to make sure it's done. The thighs are usually the last to get up to a safe temp so definitely check there.
    Bit late but...

Spatchcock it. Do it hot - 375-400F (205C) so you get a nice crispy skin.

Bit of hickory as the smoke wood - but not too much as it will go bitter.

If you have an injector rig then injecting a 50/50 salted butter and olive oil mix into the breast meat is lovely. Add some garlic powder into the mix as well if your needle is wide enough.

If you haven't got a syringe for that, then put little slits in the breast skin and push some butter & garlic under the skin.

at 400F / 205C it won't be that long to cook - check it after an hour. Probably only need 90 mins. Take the temp from all over the bird to make sure it's done. The thighs are usually the last to get up to a safe temp so definitely check there.
    Thanks for that. I can’t remember exactly what I did but I think it was a dry rub, hickory chips in a low/medium heat for about 4 hours. IIRC I chucked it in a hot oven to crisp the skin up a but overall it was really nice and juicy. 
    I’ll have to try spatchcocking it next time - I assume that cuts the cooking time? Also want a syringe! 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24622
    Spatchcocking speeds it up massively. Won't need 4 hours! I don't think any of mine have gone beyond 2 hours and most about 90 mins. Do it bone side down so the inside of the ribcage is a bit of a shield for the meat.

Hot and fast is the best way for chicken. Long slow cooks just dry it out. Chicken takes on smoke wood flavours far easier than other meats so you get plenty of flavour in a shorted cook.

The reason why rotisserie chicken is so good is because of really high temps for a short cooking time with the rotation to stop burning - I got a rotisserie unit for my kettle in the end, but I still do spatchcock for larger birds.
    Yeah, make sure that the Bird is dead first :)

“Ken sent me.”
  • danodano Frets: 1595
    Boom !

we need to get this thread back up and running for this year.

Did a smoked chicken on the Weber yesterday for Easter lunch, tasted great. Leftovers tonight are going into fajitas or tacos (or something like that)

I was in Costco today and spotted their briquettes, 15kg for £18, which seems a decent price if they are any good. Anyone tried them ? 
    https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Barbecue-Fuel/Bar-Be-Quick-Charcoal-Briquettes-15kg/p/338574
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    edited April 2022
    On Saturday, me and the Mrs tanned a couple of chops, and as we're South African we also had boerewors on the grid. We washed that down with a bottle of good wine from Stellenbosch, SA.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
    We managed to server 15 pizzas in about half an hour on Saturday, along with a salad and a huge portion of wings. Everyone seemed pretty happy aprt from me who only managed to get one wing before they were gone :(
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    anyone got a Traeger ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.