The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    RobDavies said:
    Quick question… are there any other charcoal contenders, other than Weber?

After a few years on the gas, I'm thinking of going back to charcoal but find the Webers all sit a bit low.
    BBQing burgers and sausages or smoking? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24868
    Well, there's Big Green Egg & Napoleon but I have no idea how high off the ground they are.

Both good though.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 396
    PK Grills are great. Not sure about the height of them though.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    edited June 2022
    Neilybob said:
    RobDavies said:
    Quick question… are there any other charcoal contenders, other than Weber?

After a few years on the gas, I'm thinking of going back to charcoal but find the Webers all sit a bit low.
    BBQing burgers and sausages or smoking? 
    No smoking, just bbqing Burgers, sausages and succulent chicken thighs. 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 482
    Just taken delivery of a Slow 'n' Sear. Looking forward to getting it going this weekend, weather permitting. I think I'm going to go for a pork butt for my first low and slow. 
    Can't go wrong with pork for a first go. It's very forgiving.

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 482
    Yeah I am hoping so. I'm hoping to be able to freeze some portions to use for sandwiches etc. 

Does anyone have experience with Big K Lumpwood? I have only previously used Weber briquettes. Found them good, but my local butcher is selling the Big K stuff at the moment.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5602
    Yeah I am hoping so. I'm hoping to be able to freeze some portions to use for sandwiches etc. 

Does anyone have experience with Big K Lumpwood? I have only previously used Weber briquettes. Found them good, but my local butcher is selling the Big K stuff at the moment.
    I can't find Weber briquettes anywhere local this year. Everywhere is selling Supagrill or Homefire. I haven't seen Big K either.
    I don't think Big K is sold in the UK.

I usually get my Weber ones from wowBBQ (UK) or Riverside online places.

Prices vary so much.

I tend to buy in November / December though when they are trying to get rid of the stock to make room for Xmas stuff and just store it in the shed.

• Starting a bbq now. Half barrel type (not mine), one chimney to start coals. I've popped a big unburnt one in to light from the white coals to give more time (all lump wood from restaurant industry, unknown quality!)

Will pile up on one side, seal chicken, then move it to the other side to finish. Keeping fingers crossed. No thermometer, which is how I always manage it with my dad... 
    Go hotter than you think on chicken.
    400F / 205C is bang on to avoid rubbery skin. 

Lump wood burns faster than briquettes. Great for burgers and grilling and other hot stuff like chicken, but crap for low and slow. Have to keep refilling.

• Go hotter than you think on chicken.
    400F / 205C is bang on to avoid rubbery skin. 

Lump wood burns faster than briquettes. Great for burgers and grilling and other hot stuff like chicken, but crap for low and slow. Have to keep refilling.

Don't have a way to assess heat, but hopefully it'll work out. Might chuck a few unlit lumps in then, give it an extra kick. 

I think it's poor quality - it was outdoors and a few lumps have (noisily) exploded - I wonder if there is some moisture... 

So yeah, an experience for sure. 
    Has the bbq got a lid?

• Has the bbq got a lid?

Yes. Blessed lid. 
    Good!

If it's a whole chicken, then spatchcock first. It will cook far quicker and the extremities won't dry out as much.

If you have an injector, make a 50/50 butter and olive oil mix and inject that into the breast meat. If not - then put little slits into the skin and shove some butter under the skin. Really helps the breast meat stay moist and the skin goes lovely and crisp.

• Good!

If it's a whole chicken, then spatchcock first. It will cook far quicker and the extremities won't dry out as much.

If you have an injector, make a 50/50 butter and olive oil mix and inject that into the breast meat. If not - then put little slits into the skin and shove some butter under the skin. Really helps the breast meat stay moist and the skin goes lovely and crisp.

Great advice, but I was given legs and thighs. Mostly done - good char, temp checked and fully cooked, don't seem dry.

Happy! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice.

Handful of hickory wood chips works well with chicken too. Not too much though or it can go bitter.

• Nice.

Handful of hickory wood chips works well with chicken too. Not too much though or it can go bitter.

Noted. 

Broadly successful. Chicken may have benefitted from another minute or two, but it wasn't dry and tasted good at least. 

Looking forward to getting back to my usual bbq... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    wonder when Tim's neighbours are going to post.....................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1613
    edited June 2022

I've used BigK lumpwood and briquettes a few times, they are good. I have just taken delivery of 20kg of briquettes from Amazon for about £23 there was a decent offer.

Planning on using them this afternoon for a roast, smoked chicken.