Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Snap said:
    I didn't think Engtland were that good at all tbh. Yes, they had a lot of the ball and yes, some good movment. But.....

Russia were CRAP. A half decent side would have looked good against a very poor Russian peformance.

On balance I think England were very disappointing - because they didn't take their chances. Their finishing was poor. As for Sterling, what's the point of him being n the team? He is symptomatic of what is wrong with our English players: paid big money to be in a team full of many nationalities, short on games and short on craft and confidence. He's not playing enough during a season.

It was such a disappointing game. I thouoght we overplayed a lot of the time - too much fannying around in possession, instead of just going for it.

Gut feel, I think we will beat Wales though. Its Slovakia where we could slip up, as in draw. Its agains these sorts of teams that we always seem to struggle, in tournaments.

On that peformance, which is probably too early to call really, I think we will struggle against a good attacking team.

Hopefully the Engalnd players will have learned form the Russia game, and will really go for it now.

Pretty much what I thought .. good analysis.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904

quarky said:
    Some impressive rose tinted glasses worn by England fans tonight. I suspect they'll only last a game or two more.
    Typical anti-England rubbish. No one here is saying "we are going to win the competition" or even "we will definitely make it out of the group now!". Anyone who judges a performance by the number of goals scored doesn't understand the game.
    Plenty of people are saying it was a good or great performance, it wasn't.

As for doesn't understand the game, I was paid to analyse football matches for seven years, so lets not jump to the conclusion that I'm just looking at the number of goals. I'm not saying that makes my opinion correct, but maybe you and @menamestom shouldn't just start insulting me for disagreeing with you? Childish.

Apologies for upsetting you @chrispy108 I forget sometimes that people can feel insulted a lot easier than myself
      :)

When England play, no matter how they play all I seem to see is negative analysis.  Obviously if you saw the game as so poor then that's your opinion, I just assumed with your comment 'A decent Championship team would beat England' you were being overly critical rather than it being your actual opinion.  I disagree with that statement. England are not a great team but I think they would beat any Championship team.  I guess we will never find out and will need to agree to differ.

England have enough to beat Wales and Slovakia, so I'll remain positive myself.  I could very well be wrong, but that's football.  I remember seeing the positives when England got beat by Italy in the world cup and I was wrong there!

If England get out of the group, they will probably get beat by the first top seed they meet, so it all means Thursday should be a very interesting encounter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
      scrumhalf said:
      I get very annoyed that the telly coverage includes so much incoherently poor use of the English language by studio panellists. Thankfully, they have some pundits from continental Europe whose spoken English is much, much better.
      Agreed - a lot of the Hoddle Twaddle was total gibberish !
      Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    • SnapSnap Frets: 6288
      England have enough to beat Wales and Slovakia, so I'll remain positive myself.  I could very well be wrong, but that's football.  I remember seeing the positives when England got beat by Italy in the world cup and I was wrong there!

If England get out of the group, they will probably get beat by the first top seed they meet, so it all means Thursday should be a very interesting encounter.

thing is, they had enough to beat Russia, by a long way too, but they didn't fulful it. They had enough to beat USA, Algeria, (insert lots of middling and poor teams) but for whatever reason, they come up short.

What really vexed me about this game, was that they had SO much of the ball, yet in the final stages were woeful. And like I said, Russia are a poor team, and they played very poorly.

What is a concern is how England will deal with any sort of sustained attacking footy.

I could easiliy see us going a goal down to Wales, and then fannying around with umpteen passes whilst someone tries to muster the balls to have a do at goal.

I'd love England to go for it and deliver, but time aftet time they come up so short.

At least on Satruday they did put some very good free flowing footy in. Until they got near the Russian box. Then it was almost, "ah shit, what now, err, I know, I'll pass it back to midfield, or a centre half, maybe a full back"
      Breaking news - England thrown out of Euro 2016 ....

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/breaking-england-thrown-out-of-euro-2016/

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
      quarky said:
      That Schweinsteiger looks like just the kind of player United need.
      That prick cost me £6! (off a £1 bet lol) 

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
      Well well well. Spain looked to really struggle against the Czechs, but the RoI are playing out of their skin against Sweden!
    • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
      Bollocks.

Ireland have played well but a great move by Sweden equalises.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• GassageGassage Frets: 31586

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
      Love that .. good find ..

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
      I love the Italian national anthem - two tunes for the price of one!
    • Settling down to watch the Belgium v Italy game and was wondering why my ginger tabby cat was playing No 8 for Belgium! On checking the squads it's Marouanne Fellani.
    • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
      Ireland played well till we scored, then Sweden played well and scored. Then Ireland played well again. Join the dots and we are in the next round. Italy looked very impressive tonight. Belgium played as individuals and not as a team. Ireland have a chance -v- Belgium.
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
      Italy looked excellent I thought.
    • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
      I'd be worried if we were playing Belgium next up, not sure they'll play like that again.

They are a very dangerous side and they need the points now.

Italy look good as always-them and Gemany have been talked down so far but they are the ultimate tournament teams.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1244
      Russia given suspended disqualification from Euro 2016. Any more trouble and they're off home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36528403
      Babones said:
      Russia given suspended disqualification from Euro 2016. Any more trouble and they're off home.

They'll be off home then.

I see French police have stopped a coach with 50 Russian supporters on whom they claim are Ultras (hooligans). Seems odd as there are some pensioners and women with kids ... the Russian Ultras aren't stupid. They travel in small groups so as not to draw attention to themselves.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
      Thought Italy were superb last night, Belgium looked like England tbh, lots of possesion and nothing to show for it.

Belgium were being bigged up as THE team to win the tournament, whilst Italy were rubbished beforehand and on the BBC Gianluca Vialli said the manager was mad.

Funny old game .... jumpers for goalposts etc .....
      Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
      Hungary are hungry. No name teams seem to come together to more than the sum of their parts.
      My V key is broken
    • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
      Babones said:

Not a lot of money in pro football terms. Interesting. 
      Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.