Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should we get rid of Facepalms?

What's Hot

Comments

•  How about we just don't let the facepalm take away from the fret score (ie it has zero effect)?
    I think this is best.

Speaking of forum functionality... this thread could have been a lot shorter if there was a way to take votes ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    3 now!

I think I'm being bullied :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Much like my objection to the "don't be a dick" rule (because it is a gendered slur) I think you should completely ignore or side-step any criticism of the facepalms and leave them in place.

/being a dick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Keep em!

It's not the soul destroying experience I expected =D>
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olsols Frets: 10
    Keep the face palm option, but don't allow it to detract from fret points, as "face palm" can be used in a variety of contexts and mean different things, not necessarily always presenting itself as a negative entity. Keep it, but dont let it affect the score positively or negatively :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    ols said:
    Keep the face palm option, but don't allow it to detract from fret points, as "face palm" can be used in a variety of contexts and mean different things, not necessarily always presenting itself as a negative entity. Keep it, but dont let it affect the score positively or negatively :)
    That's my main problem with it, it can be used both as a positive and/or negative and isn't really an indicator of anything. :D
    • LOL: your humour has been appreciated x times => funny
    • +1: other members have agreed with you x times 
    • Wow: you've wowed members x times
    • Facepalm: ??? :-S 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28346
    Drew_fx said:
    Much like my objection to the "don't be a dick" rule (because it is a gendered slur) I think you should completely ignore or side-step any criticism of the facepalms and leave them in place.
    It wasn't ignored - just 'cos we've not done anything (yet) doesn't mean we didn't pay attention and discuss it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • olsols Frets: 10
    ddlooping said:
    ols said:
    That's my main problem with it, it can be used both as a positive and/or negative and isn't really an indicator of anything. :D
    • LOL: your humour has been appreciated x times => funny
    • +1: other members have agreed with you x times 
    • Wow: you've wowed members x times
    • Facepalm: ??? :-S 

On another note, I personally find the wisdom tag very valuable, as it helps define the potentially helpful posts or opinions put forward in post threads, but that's just my opinion.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    Drew_fx said:
    It wasn't ignored - just 'cos we've not done anything (yet) doesn't mean we didn't pay attention and discuss it.
    Monqi said he chose it for a particular reason, and didn't indicate it was going to be discussed further. I took that to me a singular voice wasn't even to sway opinion. Add that to the fact that it's really just a bit of text and would take all of 2 seconds to change, I figured my concerns were not seen as valid, even though I felt I expressed them pretty accurately.

Without derailing the entire thread, I'd like to see it changed to something else - idiot, asshole, moron, jerk... or any of the other words out there you could use that don't have a gender connotation. It isn't the crudity of the word dick I disapprove of, but I think sets of rules should steer clear from engendered terms, regardless of the reasoning behind choosing them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    So if we replace Dick with Numpty all is well ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Monqi said he chose it for a particular reason, and didn't indicate it was going to be discussed further. I took that to me a singular voice wasn't even to sway opinion. Add that to the fact that it's really just a bit of text and would take all of 2 seconds to change, I figured my concerns were not seen as valid, even though I felt I expressed them pretty accurately.

Without derailing the entire thread, I'd like to see it changed to something else - idiot, asshole, moron, jerk... or any of the other words out there you could use that don't have a gender connotation. It isn't the crudity of the word dick I disapprove of, but I think sets of rules should steer clear from engendered terms, regardless of the reasoning behind choosing them.
    I didn't choose it, but the reason for the use of the term "Don't be a Dick" is because it is Wheaton's law which is a term used by gamers to imply that you should do things with a sense of fair play and within the spirit of the rules not to the letter of them. It means more than the sum total of it's words because of that association. 
    If we were to change it to be gender neutral (and I don't think we should, but if there is a strong feeling about it then we will) I think the most appropriate would be "Don't be a git"
    Drew_fx said:
    You did, and it wasn't ignored. Nor have I forgotten about it, and I have given it some thought.

I just haven't come to a conclusion yet! Your concerns make sense, but I've not yet been able to come up with a non-gendered alternative that has the same level of strength. Arsehole is too much. Twit isn't enough.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26613
    edited August 2013
    Drew_fx said:

It wasn't chosen specifically by monquixote - it was chosen by all of us, because that specific phrase has a particular meaning to a significant proportion of Internet-goers (see Wheaton's Law). It's also not used in a gender-specific context (certainly where I come from, "She's being a dick" is used as often as "He's being a dick").

I'll be honest...to remove that entire meaning and the relationship to the original by altering the wording for the sake of gender-sensitivity seems to me to be no different to pandering to ultra-PC types. I'm all for men's rights and standing up to gender stereotypes, but this is just plain silly.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

I'm not sure "Thanks" on a button has much meaning, if you are thanking someone then generally it is personal and both the giver and receiver (ooh-er) should be known to each other.

Still like the "+1" though, I tend to use Wisdom in place of it at the moment and it does reduce the unecessary posts of people just showing agreement.

The problem is if you change "dick" to something else you end up offending someone else.

There is always somebody who is offended or disagrees about something

That's not to say they don't have a good reason to not like it, but you have to draw the line somewhere
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:

I'm not sure "Thanks" on a button has much meaning...

:-/
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    ddlooping said:
    dindude said:

I'm not sure "Thanks" on a button has much meaning...

:-/
    'twas referring to a few requetss in this thread for a "thanks" button. My thread above explains why I don't personally think it's a good idea. Maybe we should have a confused button.
    What would we use that for? :-S

HA HA HA HA HA.

See what I did there?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Let's have 26 buttons - one for every letter of the alphabet. Another for space that's 27. That way we can customise our responses to each and every post in exactly the way we see fit. We might need some numbers and symbols too. Might be fiddly to implement in software. Okay, let's agree to buy our own hardware 'button boards' that we can use to endorse or decry each and every post we feel moved to in our own inimitable styles. Awesome.

Jaffa cakes or Slash?
    All practice and no theory
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    dindude said:
    'twas referring to a few requetss in this thread for a "thanks" button. My thread above explains why I don't personally think it's a good idea. Maybe we should have a confused button.
    The "confused" smiley shows that I didn't understand your argument against the "Thanks" button.
    Whatever button used it's always personal, no?